Which bike to ride to Alaska - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 11:37 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Which bike to ride to Alaska

My brother, my brother-in-law, and myself plan to ride from Georgia to Alaska and back in June, 2007. Currently I ride a 2004 KGT, which, at least to me, is waay to big and heavy for this journey. Therefore, I need to locate a smaller, but capable bike that can handle this tough trip and have it equipped with all of the needed accessories such as skid plates, axuxillary lights, auxillary fuel cell, and Jesse-type luggage system. So far I have limited my choices to these notable mounts: a Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom; a Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom; or a Triumph Tiger. Personally, I like the looks of the Tiger, but I'm not sure how it will handle the harsh exposure of an Alaskan trip. Help me out here guys.....what's your take on this?

Thanks........OkeefenokeeJoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2006, 12:26 am

Alaska and back or bust

Of the three folks I know that have done it all did it on airhead GS's. That would be my choice. They are simple and so easy to repair on the side of the road and if you join Airheads they have a network about as big as the MOA. Where in GA are you? I have a friend that just did the trip this past summer on an airhead GS. If interested I could give him your contact info.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2006, 5:09 am

go with one of the big dual sports. The DL1000 or Tiger or any boxer GS will do the trick. The 650 will not have the cajones for a comfortable trip. Have a nice trip. Take lots of pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2006, 5:45 am

Thumbs up

I took that trip in 1989 on a K100RT and see no reason why you couldn't do it on a GT. I'm sure the roads are much better now than when I went. Most were like country roads, and the only really rough sections were the areas of construction, which would only last a few miles. Gas was never more than 100 miles apart and unless you plan on going off road, the skid plates are overkill. A cover for your headlight is necessity to save it from flying rocks.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2006, 2:59 pm
Looking for better limits...

Friend of mine did it on a Tiger, no issues. He did plan on changing tire while there and made arrangements in advance.
As far as the roads go, there are two seasons...winter and construction. How far are you going into Alaska? Lots of critters to watch out for, and usually they're big.

That's my 2 worth...and remember, you read it here on the internet.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2006, 8:04 pm
Lee
Enthusiast

In 88 we rode up on K75Ts and got along fine without extra fuel cells or skid plates. I hear the Alaska Hwy is almost all paved now. The gravel roads we did take, like the Top Of The World Hwy were well maintained. The problem areas as mentioned above was road construction sections.
I would ride what you have. If you can afford to buy a bike just for this trip then a Tiger or GS will give you the option of checking out more back roads or trails.

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2006, 8:22 pm
Lee
Enthusiast

What we rode in 88

Here is my wife on her K75T in Alaska.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Muncho Lake.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1209  

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2006, 8:40 pm
Enthusiast

Wink

I went two summers ago, 2003, on my '02 K12RS. The roads are paved all the way, except areas under repair. The K12RS did a fantastic job, if you are a competent rider you will have no problem getting across areas under repair.
Sound like you are looking for excuse to by another bike.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2006, 9:40 pm

Nothing wrong owning another bike..... In my opinion, something like a GS would be a great idea. Capable of any roads conditions. The extra fuel tank capacity is going to make a world of difference. No fear of where the next gas station will be. The K bike would be as comfortable, but the fuel range will suck.

What ever you decide, have a safe trip!

'04 K1200RS- sold
'06 R1150GS Adventure ( Final Edition ) ( Still in Crate) 4-sale
'04 Honda RC51 ( still in the crate!) 4 sale
'08 BMW HP2 Sport #43 (awsome)
'09 BMW HP2 Sport w/ABS #77 ( still in crate)
'10 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 8:24 pm

Alaska mounts...

Speaking from experience (I did the Alaska ride in summer of '04), the ride up was fun - primarily becuase of the novelty of never seeing that part of planet before. The ride back was, to put it politely, just a LOT of miles - the adrenelin just wasn't there for the return trip.

As for bikes, a GS is my choice. Not so much because of "off roading" but because it has less expensive german paint and bodywork to get gravel blasted by the construction zones. Back in the lower 48, I ride a GT - it would be comfortable for the ride to Alaska, but it would probably need a paint job on the front and lower fairing once home. Most any dual sport or naked bike would be fine - you really don't need a really fast bike or lots of wind protection - usually the scenery is such that you don't want to blast through at 80 mph anyway (and you do need to watch out for moose and other critters crossing the road).

The gravel/construction zones really aren't that bad - they are ALWAYS sign posted well in advance, and the longer construction zones will likely have a pilot vehicle. The good news is that they let bikes go to the head of the line (so you don't get sprayed by dust and gravel riding behind cars, trucks, and RV's). The bad news is you get to follow the water truck (to keep down the dust) which means you and your bike will get coated with a plaster made from water and Alaska road dust.

If I did the trip again, I think I'd buy a solid, used GS in the lower 48 - ride it up to Alaska, tour the state, and sell it up there and take the big white bird home. Alaska is a seller's market for GS's.

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode