LCD gear indicator and clock - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2010, 11:11 am Thread Starter
Noob

LCD gear indicator and clock

Hi guys,

I bought a K1200RS a while ago to do up. In short, had to change the crankshaft as the no.1 cylinder bigend had galled on.

My question here is if anybody knows of a cheap replacement for the LCD display in the Tacho cluster. $256 for a new one from BMW is not worth it for the current bike but I would like to have the gear indicator. On mine it seems that the actual crystals are buggered but the whole display seem to be proprietary.

Any ideas?

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2010, 1:57 pm
Addict

Sounds like you might know enough to fix it!

Assuming you are getting the parallel code on the input lines for the gear switching and it is the display, often intermittent or missing segments is due to poor contact through a conductive rubber strip along an edge of the glass display.

I've dismantled other lcd's in meters etc, cleaned the edges carefully with alcohol (not booze!) and replaced the lcd assembly. Must admit, never gone that far with this one.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2010, 8:05 pm

If cleaning the edge contacts doesn't do the trick, a single digit seven segment display plus driver, would cost less than $5 US. The only complication is knowing which type of driver to get; 1 of 10, BCD or stepping latch. I haven't tried to look this up in the Clymer manual, but other electrical details I've looked for are not in there, so this probably isn't either.

regards,
Joe

...Hurry up?!? ...Why?
I've got all the rest of my life, to do everything I'm going to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2010, 6:16 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloowpoke
If cleaning the edge contacts doesn't do the trick, a single digit seven segment display plus driver, would cost less than $5 US. The only complication is knowing which type of driver to get; 1 of 10, BCD or stepping latch. I haven't tried to look this up in the Clymer manual, but other electrical details I've looked for are not in there, so this probably isn't either.

regards,
Joe

...Hmm a lot of wires to find and connect. Quite a bit of tedious micro surgery to do, a bridge too far to get a neat result for me. Pity the display isn't serial with the decode chips in a black blob on the back.

Usually, if you pull the module apart, power it up and CAREFULLY push the display you will see segments come alive if the conductive strip needs cleaning.

I worked out their 4 wire codes for the shift functions, but from memory I don't think they were simple BCD because there is another function linked in.

I'd try simple repair first then look for a Boneyard unit if that failed.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2010, 2:36 pm
Veteran

After a while you wont even use the stupid little hard to see son a bitch any way ...use your watch for time...you have a green lamp for N you'll know what gear your in after a few thousand miles...tach and speed will tell you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode