I really did it.... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2010, 12:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

I really did it....

Yep... bought a 2003 K12RS off ebay. The bike is far from perfect, but I am pumped about getting started on learning about a new bike and dialing it in for me. I also found a set of bags that are in great shape. My bike is pretty stock with barbacks. It is the zebra paint scheme.

I'm moving into this bike from a 1990 K75s that I still have. I still love the K75 and have it set up perfectly for me. Will I keep 2 bikes? Hmmm....

So a question. I mounted the bags today and there is no heat shield on the K12RS muffler. Do I need one? The K75 had a shield. Just don't want to melt the new hard bags. Thanx for ANY advice on the new bike,

chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0644.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	12049  

Last edited by KYchris02; May 8th, 2010 at 10:04 pm. Reason: add photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2010, 1:42 am
Enthusiast

Watch the bags. I almost put a $600 hole in my wallet when the bag started to melt on my 98. I had to extend the exhaust with a chrome tip and add heat wrap to the side near the muffler.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2010, 2:07 am
Enthusiast

I hear you northern hemisphere guys talking about this a bit. I've put 10's of thousands of K's on my bike with bags on, with no problems at all. Maybe USA spec bikes run leaner than down here? There should be some heat shield material attached to the bag. Easy to spot as it looks like aluminum foil. Enjoy the ride. They are an awesome motorcycle!

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2010, 9:54 am

The only heat shield my 03 has on the bag is the metal foil tape crap on the bottom of the bag. No problems after thousands of miles.
Buy a new seat. I found a GT seat from another K, I think here, don't remember for sure. I use the GT seat for daily use. Sent the RS seat into Russell for conversion and use the Russell seat now for longer trips.
The bike takes a little getting used to but you should love it.
What kind of tires, or are you replacing right away?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2010, 10:06 am
Veteran

Yep I hear you about the bags......I also bought a slightly used Zebra, and right away noticed that the rear seam on the left bag was slightly opened compared to the right bag......but the bag worked fine so I ignored it until a few weeks later when the cover fell apart at the hinges.

I managed to fix it with some SS strapping but that was not easy and took most of a nice day!

So I think Yes, the heat will eventually cause problems. I went to Home Depot and bought some sticky heat shielding and lined the outside better than the small piece BMW had put there, and also lined the inside to better disperse the heat. Also added an exhaust extender.

But what I did not like is how loose those bags felt when loaded, enough movement to possibly affect the handling in them nice potholed curves we have up here, and from reading other posts, the possibility of loosing the bags altogether.......

So I did what many others have done and "Pinned" the bags. With the pin in place, no way the bags will come out, even unlatched they won't move....!

But careful if you go that route, there is not much clearance on the footpegs/bag mounts to drill the hole. Here is a pic of "The Pin" in place.

And.......remember that BMW does not recommend speeds over 80 MPH with the bags on!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2010, 12:04 pm
Veteran

just the stick on heat refective foil on the bag.....mine came off 2 years ago and nothin has even come close to melting...just dont keep your beer in that one.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2010, 9:59 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugWest
The only heat shield my 03 has on the bag is the metal foil tape crap on the bottom of the bag. No problems after thousands of miles.
Buy a new seat. I found a GT seat from another K, I think here, don't remember for sure. I use the GT seat for daily use. Sent the RS seat into Russell for conversion and use the Russell seat now for longer trips.
The bike takes a little getting used to but you should love it.
What kind of tires, or are you replacing right away?
Hey AUG... the foil tape is probably my plan at the moment. My seat does need help but my wallet at the moment is a bigger priority so the stock will have to do for a minute. The bike came with a set of Avon Storms that seem to have life left. The rear tire surface has a weird "squared-off" look to the curve of the tire and I'm wondering wtf.

Thanx for the info...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 3:31 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
The bike came with a set of Avon Storms that seem to have life left. The rear tire surface has a weird "squared-off" look to the curve of the tire and I'm wondering wtf.

Thanx for the info...
Too much slab time on the tires, not enough corners.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 5:02 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
Hey AUG... the foil tape is probably my plan at the moment. My seat does need help but my wallet at the moment is a bigger priority so the stock will have to do for a minute. The bike came with a set of Avon Storms that seem to have life left. The rear tire surface has a weird "squared-off" look to the curve of the tire and I'm wondering wtf.

Thanx for the info...
like Raz said...pobly a commuter bike or his mother lives in Fla.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 10:41 pm
Addict

Those tires look BAD. Get a new set and keep the pressure UP.
You may need new shocks since the BMW's do not make it more that 20,000 miles.

I am sure you will Love the Bike. Have FUN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode