Ohlins Reservoir Mounting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 6:38 pm Thread Starter
88x
Noob

Ohlins Reservoir Mounting

I just installed a new Ohlins rear shock on my 2003 KRS. The instructions clearly show the remote reservoir (with the compression damping adjuster on it) being mounted in the place the charcoal canister normally resides, on the inner rear fender. Any input on this? The reservoir and it's hose don't seem to be able to be mounted anywhere else, like on the frame rail or whatever.
Does the canister really do much? Will I create faults by running the bike this way? Should I connect the loose hoses together - with another section of hose, or something? Is the one hose (off the bottom ofthe canister, on the left side of the bike) just a drain or overflow?
Or should I really be looking at a different mounting location altogether?
Any comments will be appreciated. Sorry if this has already been hashed over, I could find some reference to this dilemma, but nothing definitive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 7:24 pm
Enthusiast

I have seen the adjuster knobs in easily accesible locations 'near' there, but poking out where you can reach it while seated. These bikes did not remove the canister, but then, this is California. For my Wilbers, the instructions called for the reservoir to be mounted to on the grabrail on rider's left...right over the muffler where it singed my hand and made it impossible to lift the bike...so I mounted both the reservoir and adjuster knob on the seat frame rail on rider's right and coiled the hose and control cable.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 7:30 pm
Will ride for picts

Here's how my Ohlins were installed:

Remote reservoir on right side of bike:

Pre-load adjuster on left side of bike:

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 11:27 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88x
I just installed a new Ohlins rear shock on my 2003 KRS. The instructions clearly show the remote reservoir (with the compression damping adjuster on it) being mounted in the place the charcoal canister normally resides, on the inner rear fender. Any input on this? The reservoir and it's hose don't seem to be able to be mounted anywhere else, like on the frame rail or whatever.
Does the canister really do much? Will I create faults by running the bike this way? Should I connect the loose hoses together - with another section of hose, or something? Is the one hose (off the bottom ofthe canister, on the left side of the bike) just a drain or overflow?
Or should I really be looking at a different mounting location altogether?
Any comments will be appreciated. Sorry if this has already been hashed over, I could find some reference to this dilemma, but nothing definitive.
Our Canadian bikes do not have the carbon canister. "If so equipped" is how the canister is described in the parts fiche or Clymer.Both hoses coming out of the fuel pump flange go to drain.

On your bike one will go to the canister. From the canister, one goes to drain, the other to the fuel rail ,first going through an electric "actuator".

No problem removing the canister, but you will have to disconnect and remove the actuator at the fuel rail and plug the fitting at the fuel rail where the hose goes in. Send the hose that originally went from the tank to the canister to drain under the bike.

Save the canister/actuator in case you ever sell your bike to a Californian.....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Last edited by H96669; May 9th, 2010 at 11:40 pm.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2010, 9:21 am
Riding in company

Mine (and every other one I've seen) is installed just like Mr. Hall's. I don't think there's any need to screw around with the bike.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2010, 12:08 pm Thread Starter
88x
Noob

OK - Thanks guys. I will try the "attaching it to the foot peg bracket location" next.
I was just attempting to install it as per the instructions - I should have known!
Plus, I only received one of those rubber mounting insulators for the reservoir and one big zip-tie type of strap, which would accommodate the inner fender location.
I've attached an image of my shock (at least I tried to) where you can see the angle of the banjo-fitting for the reservoir hose. I can't see the angle of the fitting on the reservoir in your photo Mr. Hall, is it similar or is that what's keeping me from putting it down there?
Any comments are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Ohlins and Stock Showa_8x6.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	12060  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2010, 1:44 pm
Veteran

Since you are installing, I have a question for you. Do you still need the 5 MM BMW spacer at the top right of the rear shock? I think a packrat took it off my work bench...nice shiny part like that... I had to improvise to reinstall my OEM shock, but if it is required with the Ohlin I will order one.
Also what's your number on the front shock if you are doing it, I have seen BM 346 and BM 701 both quoted for the RS, the sellers haven't answered my inquiries yet....?
Thanks!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2010, 8:40 pm
Noob

I ran into the same thing on my'04. You have to mount the reservoir on the subframe right under the coolant overflow.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2010, 11:23 pm
Will ride for picts

Here are the Ohlins mounting instructions for the K1200 GT ... clearly instructs to mount it as depicted in my photo's above.

http://www.ohlins.com/Products/Mount...s/MI_BM318.pdf

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2010, 3:27 am
Enthusiast

Hey H96, no spacer required for the (702) rear. There was not one on my OEM shock either although I had the upgrade (white spring) shock fitted as standard. My front shock is 701.
Personally I would dispense with the charcoal filter and install the compression reservoir under the seat. It just seems to belong there, and I always wondered what that concave dip in the inner guard was for IMHO attaching the reservoir to the rear foot peg bracket has a real "after market" look to it, and while other options may be slim, in true Kiwi fashion, I wold search for other options.... Also, have a look at the banjo fitting at the top of the rear shock that connects to the braided line to the remote compression reservoir. On mine it faced "away" from the bike and rubbed on the tupperware. Not by much, but enough to cause concern. I had the Ohlins dealer (glad I paid the extra and bought mine locally ) swap the banjo fitting to the inside and rotated the other end on the reservoir and re routed the braided line to suit free of charge. This involved a partial dismantle of the shock and rebuild with fresh fluid and gas. Not a job to be undertaken in the garage as very well equipped.

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode