Slipping clutch - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 4:07 pm Thread Starter
MIK

Question Slipping clutch

I was about to ride a few hundred miles. The bike was loaded, the breakfast was excellent, the day was perfect... until we got on the open road and I whacked the throttle in the third gear just to hear sound of freely spinning engine

Anyway... does anyone have a detailed howto on clutch replacement? Do I need special tools for this job? I do have the manual but more information the better... So far, the most difficult job I've done on that bike was ABS pump brake fluid replacement... well, and I've done a few valve adjusments, too. I hope I can replace the clutch myself as it might cost a bit too much at the dealers.

TIA.

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 9:54 pm
Addict

Yep it cost a lot. I think it takes about 12 to 15 hours. at $120 an hour plus $700 for parts that is real money.

There are two repair manuals, BMW on disc, you can find that on the internet for free. I forget get the name of the other one.
I think there are some how-to replace the clutch on the web some where.

It is a lot of work and some of the BMW instructions are missleading.
The BMW service manaul is made for mechanics that know what they are doing. Not for the novice. So you made need to find the How to on the web.

I found the job enjoyable, I had to make a couple of the special tools.

You may find the main culprit of the slipping clutch to be the O ring that will get hard and leak engine oil into the clutch housing. No matter you will want to install a new O ring and main seal while it is apart.

Good luck and becarefull
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:36 pm Thread Starter
MIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fllash
plus $700 for parts
$700 for parts? Do I need to replace everything in there? I thought, I should get away with just replacing disks and seals...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:29 pm
Enthusiast

Smile clutches on ebay

I found a 1700mile used clutch for $180 , and there have been several on there around $200 complete asembly , I got mine just in case , joe
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2010, 8:29 am
Noob

MIK
I have excatly the same problem just happened on my way back from Spain....took the bike to my local dealer ,who diagnosed a leaking Crank seal contaminating the clutch ...so basically £800 to sort am feeling the same as your thinkin about open heart surgery on the bike...i do have a manual from the internet but its not brilliant (i think you can drop the gearbox without engine removal ?? ...............let you know how i get on :-)
Dom
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2010, 8:38 am Thread Starter
MIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom55850
i think you can drop the gearbox without engine removal ??
Yes, you can drop gearbox and engine removal is not needed. But it is still a big task, especially, looks like I need a few tools to buy and a few special tools to make/buy.

The ABS pump flush was a daunting task as well, but I managed to do it with a very well written howto and a manual. Same goes to valve adjustment. I was hoping to find something like that for the clutch job, but so far I am only finding bits and pieces of information :-(

If anyone has a clutch replacement writeup, or even if you just have a bunch of pictures, please do post them.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2010, 10:47 am
Veteran

Do an advanced search for "main oil seal leak" and variants of,in the "K1200RS/GT Classic" forum. Most any threads related to crank seals will have some pics of the clutch removal.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2010, 1:03 pm
Will ride for picts

While you're in that far, replace the rear engine main seal, the transmission input seal, and the clutch slave seal. All three of those are suspect and can cause a slipping clutch.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Addict

depending upon the year bike you have there have been updates in the clutch assembly.

I did shop around and found a NEW clutch assy and seals for $560 18 months ago at salt lake city.

the parts cost less than the labor so why would you not replace all parts. Plus the salve and tranny seal?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2010, 9:56 am
Veteran

Sorry no pics from me, but here is some Tao for you guys! I'll get back to this thread , I am at work and the system does not let me write for long before it cuts me off.

For a start:

http://www.227708.com/Other/bmwclutch01.html

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode