Hesitation on acceleration and high speeds - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2010, 7:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hesitation on acceleration and high speeds

Hi all,

Back to pick the knowledgeable peoples brains.

As some know, I recently rebuilt a K1200RS. This entailed replacing the crank and con rods.

So in my rush to get the bike done, I didn't notice that the hall effect sensor should be marked before being removed. So now it is in TDC roughly...and it goes.

Problems I have though are that when I crank open the throttle, the rpm rises to around 2500 slowly, and then it suddenly lurches like I would have expected from the off. I am also getting some smoke at 1/2-5/8ths throttle blips. Then at motorway speeds, it feels as if the bike hesitates, like I am backing off the throttle ever so slightly.

I get good strong sparks, the leads are in very good condition and the spark plugs are clean.

The thing is, I came across a post (possibly by Voxmagna?) about setting the ignition timing statically and now I can't find it, anyone have a link?

The BMW dealers around here are unable to get my bike up on the moditec for at least 2 weeks so I would like to have a go at fixing this myself if possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 6:02 am Thread Starter
Noob

on the same note, I read some where that the moditec unit overlays on screen two wave forms for the ignition timing.

Is there a crank position sensor apart from the Hall effect sensor? if so then I could make up a little data logging system to combine the signals from the hall effect sensor and that crank position sensor or any other sensor and be able to dynamically time my machine.

Any ideas?

Found the post I was after earlier:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=10745

Last edited by komatias; May 28th, 2010 at 6:19 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode