GT Tweaking - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2010, 8:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

GT Tweaking

Recently bought an '04 Gt and love it. Had been riding '94 K-75 and what a difference!!!
I guess I do have somewhat of a death wish in that am considering changing out the chip and using the Rhinewest product, also changing out exhaust pipe and possibly going to a Remus pipe.
Just looking for input from more experienced riders on how much would be gained from the swich.
Thanks,
S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2010, 9:32 pm
Addict

The exhaust gains a lot of HP and lose about 18 lbs of converter.

But them you get a rich fuel mixture at idle, (I did) Bad gas smell at idle.

The chip for $300 is not worht it but if you get one on Ebay for $50 you will be better off.

I bought the bike new with a Remus and OEM chip. it ran a lot better than my stock K1200RS 2002.

After 40,000 miles I put in a after-market chip. I got on Ebay.
I lost some bottom end torque at 3,500 to 4,500 RPM. The bike ran a lot smother with more power at higher RPM's and pulled smooth to red line in all gears.

I kept the after market chip in, but you will need to keep the RMP higher than a stock chip to enjoy the ride.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2010, 5:29 am
Enthusiast

An old guy told me years ago, if you want a faster bike, buy a faster one. I love the bike just the way it is, and many have stated on this forum that they have spent thousands on mods, to eventually put it back to stock. Its all personal I guess I would hate to loose fuel economy, bottom end and/or mid range, a steady idle, or gain an annoying noisy exhaust (it will never sound like a V twin) for a little more top end speed - who explores those speeds on a regular basis anyway. It is all personal though....

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2010, 7:55 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
An old guy told me years ago, if you want a faster bike, buy a faster one. I love the bike just the way it is, and many have stated on this forum that they have spent thousands on mods, to eventually put it back to stock. Its all personal I guess I would hate to loose fuel economy, bottom end and/or mid range, a steady idle, or gain an annoying noisy exhaust (it will never sound like a V twin) for a little more top end speed - who explores those speeds on a regular basis anyway. It is all personal though....

+1 on this, but I am not a sport rider, though I wish I had those skills.

--------------------

"That's some Catch, that Catch 22"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2010, 9:38 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
I would love to buy a faster bike than this lead sled, but I can not afford the insurance on the K1300S, or the payments.

Fuel economy if on a steady hi-way at 80 MPH it is better than stock, I get 47MPG.
But I hate to ride that slow.

You need to come and play in the desert. In Death Valley at 200 Ft below sea level we gain about 10 HP when the temp. is below 80 degrees. (That will not happen till October)

More Power is what we need.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2010, 9:42 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fllash
The exhaust gains a lot of HP and lose about 18 lbs of converter.
No, the change to a Remus exhaust will not give you gains in HP. Dyno test fail to show that. It will sound different and be lighter.

The bike is very powerful as is. I see no need for a Rhinewest chip. It is fast enough as is to get you into a lot of trouble, if you so choose.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Well.........another deep subject and debate.........

I've got an 00 K12RS which is chipped and Remus exhaust....and I love it!

I've ran 1600 miles in the last week.......elevations from 5K to 11K with an Aeroflow windscreen in the up position much of the time....

I'm running 80+ mph consistently and getting 40+ mpg except when running into steady 35 mph winds.........today............

I will take a chipped, Remus exhaust over stock any day......or week........or month ...... or year......and if you chose to stay stock, you won't hear my sweet exhaust sound for long.......I'll leave you behind!

The stock sewing machine, uncorked BMW's are an engineering mistake......to meet some EPA suggestions....which are not necessary in most of the USA.......IMHO......
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 7:49 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug
No, the change to a Remus exhaust will not give you gains in HP. Dyno test fail to show that. It will sound different and be lighter.

The bike is very powerful as is. I see no need for a Rhinewest chip. It is fast enough as is to get you into a lot of trouble, if you so choose.
Infidel,

When you do what Mudbug did with the Dyno I will be more convinced. We all love our bikes, at least most of us. It depends I think where you started. My first bike was Bonnieville, my first BMW was and LT. When I got on the RS I thought maybe I had more bike that I could handle, ofcourse things change. She is a great bike, what the guy is asking is for actual facts that spending all the dough is worth the time and effort. I appreciate something that can be validated, everytime I get on my bike I know I made the right choice.

--------------------

"That's some Catch, that Catch 22"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 10:20 am
Addict

Here is the dyno chart from Rhinewest. I don't see a lot of HP gain.
If a person wants to spend the money for the psychological benefit such as a more powerful sounding exhaust, there is no logical argument against doing so. But, if a person wants to spend the money to "substancially" increase hp and torque, then that is a lot of money for little if any gain.

http://www.rhinewestperformance.com/dyno7.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-05-28 at  May 28,  10.20.01 AM.png
Views:	18
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	12120  

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl

Last edited by Mudbug; May 28th, 2010 at 10:28 am.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubmw
Infidel,

When you do what Mudbug did with the Dyno I will be more convinced. We all love our bikes, at least most of us. It depends I think where you started. My first bike was Bonnieville, my first BMW was and LT. When I got on the RS I thought maybe I had more bike that I could handle, ofcourse things change. She is a great bike, what the guy is asking is for actual facts that spending all the dough is worth the time and effort. I appreciate something that can be validated, everytime I get on my bike I know I made the right choice.
When you ride the bike, that's the comparison I trust......so it's up to you whether to enjoy your machine or wonder if you're missing an improvement that somebody's data says is inconsequential....and the Church of BMW members often discourage removing the stock exhausts......they love their sewing machines....

My bike runs and sounds great......better than stock.......and that's the way I like it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode