windshield/lights - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 12:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

windshield/lights

Do they make a dark windshield for my 99 k1200rs?

Do they make clear marker lights (Front and Rear) for it also, kits that have bulbs also?

Looking to change the look a little and being Graphite Metallic, figured a dark wind screen would look nice along with the clear marker lights. But assume I would need to change the bulbs so they are yellow then.

Rear Brake pads? What is the proper type to get? I don't do any super speed or fancy driving as I just don't have the skill to do it. But they were pretty dusty last night while wiping the rear rim down and with 7500 miles on the bike, I guess it is time to replace the pads. Rotor looked OK, it wasn't shiney but it wasn't really rough either so I don't think they are scraping yet.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttymopar
Do they make a dark windshield for my 99 k1200rs?

Do they make clear marker lights (Front and Rear) for it also, kits that have bulbs also?

Looking to change the look a little and being Graphite Metallic, figured a dark wind screen would look nice along with the clear marker lights. But assume I would need to change the bulbs so they are yellow then.

Rear Brake pads? What is the proper type to get? I don't do any super speed or fancy driving as I just don't have the skill to do it. But they were pretty dusty last night while wiping the rear rim down and with 7500 miles on the bike, I guess it is time to replace the pads. Rotor looked OK, it wasn't shiney but it wasn't really rough either so I don't think they are scraping yet.

Thanks.
Your pads should not be worn out at 7500 miles unless you continuously ride your brakes...IMHO......
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 2:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

But that little lever on the right is a nice resting spot for my foot...

I have only driven about 1700 miles so far and I certainly don't ride them. In fact, I think I mostly use the front brake in slowing down in traffic and stop lights. Not sure about previous owner if he rode them a lot or not. I was just surprised at the amount of brake dust on the rim. That and hearing it slightly rub when spinning the rim. I didn't try taking apart the caliber to see how the pads were. Afraid I would be needing to bleed brakes, just to check. I figured if going to bleed, might as well replace pads at the same time.

But granted, I feel they shouldn't be worn out just yet. Just didn't know how long they would last since it has been 20 years since owning a bike. I'm sure technology has changed since those days....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 2:47 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I have also found a few sites with smoked windshields and clear lights. Didn't know it would as much as they are so don't see me purchasing just yet, but on the Wish List.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2010, 9:45 pm
Enthusiast

Both the stock and especially some aftermarket pads will dust a lot when used. My stockers reall dust at the track, but other than riding two up and loaded, I hardly touch them. I do remember a non stock pad I used once that dusted worse than stock. I am only on my third set of rear pads, though.........
To check the pads, you do not disassemble the caliper. If you can't see down in there, get your hex wrench out and remove the caliper from the final drive and have a look. You can't take it out unless you remove the wheel, but you can't remove the wheel unless you pull the caliper, either...so, have a look. Takes just a few minutes and brake bleeding is not even in the picture.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2010, 3:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I did take the pads out this weekend and they measured just fine. Looked smooth and no ridges so that is good.

Just removed the top cover, banged out the 2 pins which allowed the rest of the small pieces to come right out. Then was able to lift out the pads with some small movement of the caliper.

I can see how the caliper won't come out unless wheel is taken off but that didn't look too hard either. Guess I go longer before changing. Just not knowing what looks NEW and seeing how much might be gone is what worried me.

I was doing some 2 up this weekend for the first time. Still haven't found anything wrong with this bike or anything this bike can't do for my needs. Finally hit the 2000 mile mark that I have put on it, within 1 month...lol Got to love it, I do.

Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2010, 9:32 pm
Enthusiast

You will have to loosen the rear wheel to remove the caliper, especially if you have the wider rear wheel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode