My new lights......... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Question My new lights.........

I have just ordered my new Piaa 1100X's, arriving soon, good price (new). Whole kit $169. . Is there anything I should know ahead of time as to hook-up??. I was thinking of the fork mount (middle of front wheel), but my buddy said I would get a better dispersion of light if they were mounted higher (under front headlight area by radiator). Plus, is the
"Cycle Gadget" switch (for the turn signal cancel switch, already purchased) tricky to hook up??. Just thought I would ask of those that have already done this upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200GTosprey
I have just ordered my new Piaa 1100X's, arriving soon, good price (new). Whole kit $169. . Is there anything I should know ahead of time as to hook-up??. I was thinking of the fork mount (middle of front wheel), but my buddy said I would get a better dispersion of light if they were mounted higher (under front headlight area by radiator).
Does your kit include mounting brackets, or do you still need to buy those separately? I agree with your buddy -- IMO up higher is better, for several reasons. For instance, up higher, you have the option to aim them high to supplement your high beam or low to supplement your low beam.

The most difficult part of the installation, for me, was removing and reinstalling the plastic. If you bought a Cyclegadgets kit, it'll include excellent installation instructions.

Good luck.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 9:42 pm

Up high. On the forks (mounted on or near the calipers) they can pick up a lot of road gunk especially during or after a rain. Tucked under the front cowl is great for the 1100's. Also, I have used the turn signal cancel switch, but I decided to wire the PIAAs into my high beam switch, along with my high beam modulator. The PIAA on/off switch is mounted (superglue works well for years) on the left control's inner side, so that I can hit the button with my thumb. All this allows you to use your PIAAs by turning on the high beams.

Mounting them higher also eliminates some of the road glare from wet surfaces at night.

Remember its good practice to turn off the high beam whenever you start your bike, if you have the PIAAs wired this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:58 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by detour
Does your kit include mounting brackets, or do you still need to buy those separately? I agree with your buddy -- IMO up higher is better, for several reasons. For instance, up higher, you have the option to aim them high to supplement your high beam or low to supplement your low beam.

The most difficult part of the installation, for me, was removing and reinstalling the plastic. If you bought a Cyclegadgets kit, it'll include excellent installation instructions.

Good luck.
Thanks so quickly for the inputs. OK, I will try to put them up higher, but, the installations I have seen (under the headlight, tucked up above radiator) will I not get better "side veiw" lighting if they are more exposed?. Like, maybe somewhere up on tupperware near turn signals?. But, I do NOT want to screw up anything like turbulence at high speed riding. I am good at making up homemade mounts from strap aluminum, etc... . Vibration is also a factor. Appreciate the input, hopefully more will come in before they (the lights) get here. Look forward to posting pics of my own design LED brake light. A little different then "Lite Buddy's" that I am sure will get the cages that are behind me attention.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:23 pm
Enthusiast

PIAA under oil cooler :cool:

Those PIAA 1100 shed alot of very bright! light. Tucked under oil cooler (sit very close to side panels) I can testify that they will shed plenty of light to to left and right sides of the road and are still aimed lower than BMW high beam on my K1200 RS

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 7:03 am

Aux lights serve two purposes- to light up the road ahead during the night, and to make you more visible to cagers during the day. There is a study somewhere that concluded a light "triangle" is far better than a light "bar"- that is, having lights in a triangular formation makes you more visible and allows others to guage your distance better. Lights in a "bar" pattern, where they are almost the same height across the front of the bike, make it hard for cagers to discern your distance. Harleys have them across because, well, the higher the chrome the brighter the shine, I suppose. But triangles work well. And your PIAAs are more a pinpoint than a spread of light. You wont be unhappy.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:00 am
"Hey Y'all"

Nope .........

Quote:
........... I have seen (under the headlight, tucked up above radiator) will I not get better "side veiw" lighting if they are more exposed? ............
Under the oil cooler works great. These are Optilux fog lights, but about the same size as the PIAAs. This pic shows that the side illumination isn't blocked by the fairing.

Welcome to the un-Dark side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clean.JPG
Views:	923
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	1216  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:15 am

You said you paid $169 for the whole package. Where did you buy it? What does the package include? I am wanting to do the same thing but Cycle Gadgets sells the entire package for $300 with the Autoswitch at an additional $28.
Thanks for the info!

David

DaMu
Houston, TX
04 K1200GT Grey Green
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

Piaa lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMu
You said you paid $169 for the whole package. Where did you buy it? What does the package include? I am wanting to do the same thing but Cycle Gadgets sells the entire package for $300 with the Autoswitch at an additional $28.
Thanks for the info!

David
I have sent you a private message. Anyone else that would like to know please send me private message thru K-Bikes. Excellent site!.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

Talking Piaa lights....

Quote:
I have sent you a private message. Anyone else that would like to know please send me private message thru K-Bikes. Excellent site!.
Go to: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181
For info on good price.
As explained to some other members, this kit does not include the brackets for the Beemer , or the wiring harness specific for our bikes. But, for $150. I am sure that we are all intelligent enough to figure out a bracket, and I am sure the wiring that is included with kit will suffice.

Last edited by RedHawK12GT; Jan 3rd, 2006 at 6:53 pm. Reason: Correction.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode