Hi! *waves* - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2010, 2:03 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hi! *waves*

Picking up my '98 K1200RS today, thought I'd say hello. Got it from a motivated seller that took good care of it & made some intelligent upgrades - suspension, seat, wiring, etc.

Very excited about taking in a K12RS, as while I'm adjusting to this bike I'll also be in the process of converting my sturdy R1100GS into a sidecar rig for trips with my kid.

I'm enjoying looking through the threads - I've never even so much as worked on a K bike seriously, though I did have a K100 for a few months back in 2006 (which is when I joined up here, but I was never much more than a lurker then). Honestly, didn't like it much, but I really dig this RS. I rode one 6-8 yrs ago and thought "holy crap, I gotta get me one of these!" Well, now I have one.

First things I have to figure out are how to attach my GPS (getting some good ideas here, but they all seem pricey) to the bike - I'm thinking a plate-mounted RAM setup on the clutch master cylinder housing; also, how to get a top case on there.

On my GS, I use a "Caribou" case - a Pelican box with a special mounting kit. I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to mount their mounting plate to the RS, which solves the problem, because then I can just swap my one case between my two bikes. If that doesn't work, I'll do something else.

It's got barbacks on it already, so I'm going to ride it for a while before I start moving stuff around - luckily the PO is about as tall as I am (just over 6'). I've got a bad leg from a previous accident & a rough knee on the other side, so I might go for a footpeg lowering kit, but who knows.

Anyway - if you're in northern Virginia or the DC suburbs, look me up & let's kick tires & ride.

--chiba

Yup.
'98 K1200RS (being hacked)
'05 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2010, 5:28 pm
Rookie

Congrats and good luck with the Bike! I get down to VA every now and then to visit my Sister and her family, maybe we can get together and kick tires some time. Nice bike for those roads, have fun!

Bob
04 K1200GT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2010, 9:01 pm

Chiba you HO, Get out of here!!

2010 K1300GT My beloved ROCKET!!
IBA #37898
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2010, 10:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

LOL I shoulda known you'd be around here somewhere!!! I promise not to tell your stories if you promise not to tell mine

--chiba

Yup.
'05 R1200GS
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 6:32 am

Ha! You got a deal!

Congrats on the RS! That's a nice bike, I can't wait to see it. I like the idea for the kid, that will be FUN!

Good Luck, Chiba, this is a great site with good people and a lot of knowledge!

2010 K1300GT My beloved ROCKET!!
IBA #37898
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 8:42 am
Faster than poop

Thumbs up

I use the RAM master cylinder mount for the GPS and it works well for me.

Congrats on your new bike!

Live fast. Eat carrots.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 9:51 am
Looking for better limits...

Clutch cover RAM mount for my GPS as well. Works fine, no issues after 6 years.
Footpegs are adjustable, and normally are in the lower position. Some (don't ask me why) find that raising the pegs makes a difference. Moving them up also moves them back, so maybe that's enough of a difference to count.
I only move mine up and back when I'm riding on a track, as it helps keep the pegs from dragging in the corners.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for that info - I had no idea the pegs were adjustable.

--chiba

Yup.
'05 R1200GS
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2010, 10:42 am
Veteran

I bought a K1200RS last year, 2003, from a PO that must have been 6'3", I don't know how he could ride that thing with the pegs up and the seat down (could not be put up from the latch not adjusted). I rode it home and suffered....but easy enough to adjust the ergos. I'm not as tall as you, but don't think I'd recommend the peg lowering kits, too easy to scrape the pegs on them bikes, that's why they have them sacrificial nubs on them....

But I just finished installing Ohlins on mine, and the bike sits a little higher, will see how that works out for pegs (or toe) scraping....

Don't know about the bar backs, my bike is much more comfortable with the bars all the way forward,less buffeting,and a lot less sliding on the seat or straight up spine banging from the suspension. After all they are meant to be ridden as a sport bike, not a tourer.But for your info, BMW has 2 different handlebar mounts, standard and comfort.

You may want to read this, good info on ergos and such.
http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/k12-tips.shtml#bmw_options
And this:
http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/k1200rs/index.html
And.....you may want this too:
http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...rcycle-service

Happy reading.....I've done enough of that, time for some happy riding, maybe out your way too on my way to Quebec/Newfoundland!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2010, 7:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Just for fun, here's a cell phone photo of my bike. I made sure to come home via the highway so I could really see how smooth it is. A huge difference from riding my GS!

--chiba

Yup.
'05 R1200GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode