Noob x2 says hey - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2010, 4:35 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Noob x2 says hey

Hey everybody, I'm new here and I just bought my first K bike last weekend. Actually I guess I should say noob x3. This is also my first bimmer bike. Yes, I'm happy. I've been looking at the RS's for about five years now and I'm glad to finally park one in the garage. I'm still getting used to it as it is definitely a different beast than the Japanese bikes I'm used to. It is an 04 with 23,000 on the clock. Has a few GT additions, windscreen, eyebrows and hard bags. It has fairing mounted mirrors and overall a pretty nice bike. She was a little dirty when I got her, but I stripped her down and gave her a very thorough cleaning. Now she's clean and pretty.
I will now make my attempt to load some pics.

Ok, I'm going to have to read up on how to upload pics.

I do have one concern that I discovered in this last week. If the bike sits for more than 5~6 hours, when I start it I get a considerable amount of smoke. While I had all of the skin off cleaning, I was paying attention to everything. I see that the engine lays flat. I can't think that I should be getting that much oil into the combustion chamber, but is this normal? I bought the bike from a local dealership as a consignment. It did not do it when it was started at the dealership. After the initial 15~20 seconds of smoke, it clears up and I see nothing. The bike runs strong so it seems strange that rings could be that bad. Any thoughts?

Anyway, I will resolve this issue and I'm sure I will put many more miles on the clock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5920.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	12278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5921.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	12279  

04 K1200RS
with a few GT extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2010, 4:52 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkman
I do have one concern that I discovered in this last week. If the bike sits for more than 5~6 hours, when I start it I get a considerable amount of smoke, but is this normal? I bought the bike from a local dealership as a consignment. It did not do it when it was started at the dealership. After the initial 15~20 seconds of smoke, it clears up and I see nothing. The bike runs strong so it seems strange that rings could be that bad. Any thoughts?
The only cure for K-bike start-up smoke is to park the bike on the centerstand.

Hang around this and other BMW sites and you will learn the expression: "They all do that".
And this applies to the start-up smoke also.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2010, 5:27 pm
Veteran

Its normal on some Ks...if you use the side stand just let it sit straight up after shutting down for a few seconds to let the oil drain away from the cylinders...that should solve it...nothing to worry about..Keep your oil level between the dot and bottom of sight glass...to get a good read while oil is hot put your bike on the center stand and let sit for 10 min and check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2010, 6:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Noob lesson #1.
I did a search on smoke right after I posted and found what I was thinking. Side stand means head down. That's what I was thinking when I pulled the skin and saw the motor orientation. So, center stand it is. Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. You'll have to break me in easy. I am a K-noob.

04 K1200RS
with a few GT extras.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2010, 6:51 am
Enthusiast

Yup, this is a great forum, full of experienced riders that can help you out. Biggest complaints on that particular bike is the clutch slave failing and the final drive. Keep an eye on them and you should be fine. It is a little heavy in the parking lot so be careful wheeling her around at slower speeds.

BTW - She will go very fast and make you think its all okay.... the local LEO will tell you otherwise.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2010, 8:58 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
BTW - She will go very fast and make you think its all okay.... the local LEO will tell you otherwise.

+1

--------------------

"That's some Catch, that Catch 22"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2010, 9:06 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
Yeah.....I just met one of the three local Leos last Sunday, I just had time to notice his shoulder moving toward the radar switch......Too late! Too fast!
And I was only 10-15 Kms over the limit, decellerating after passing......!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2010, 1:27 pm
Enthusiast

Of the numerous times I have been pulled over on the bike I only received an award on the first one. Keep it within reason and they are USUALLY fairly decent about it... unless you are driving in an unusual/unsafe manner.

But it is a decent way to get to know the local police department.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2010, 2:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I ride motocross with a couple of the leo's here. Hopefully that and some judicious usage of the cruise will keep me from meeting the man with the black cloak.

I appreciate the heads up on the clutch and driveline. I will keep an eye on that. It is different hearing a dry clutch underneath me. I will have to learn what are the healthy sounds and unhealthy sounds. Thanks again. I will be tapping the knowledge here regularly I'm sure.

Well, time to go get a ride in before I have to go to work.

04 K1200RS
with a few GT extras.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode