Neutral light on 98 K1200RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2010, 2:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Neutral light on 98 K1200RS

My neutral light on my 98 K1200RS will not go out

The gear indicator works fine and all runs great, but the neutral light stays on

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2010, 12:01 pm
Veteran

Corrosion the the connector? It should be on the left side, under the seat, along the frame railing toward the back.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2016, 5:29 pm
Noob

Garage
Did you find the problem ?, as i have the same issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2016, 10:04 am
Addict

Take a look at the Clymers manual's circuit diagram p. 568. You can chase down the wiring to see if there's a problem, Or it may be the switch is acting up. One quick test is to see if the side-stand lock-out switch works. That is, put the bike in 1st with the side-stand down. Pull in the clutch and see if you can start the motor. The lock-out passes through the neutral switch on its way to the starter relay.

In general, go for the easy answer first (bad connection, damaged wire). The switch wiring goes from the gear display on the panel to the switch (yel, yel/blk, yel/grn). The clutch and side-stand switches come to the neutral switch as two blk wires. Brn is the ground, but it's not a direct frame ground, it passes through a blocking diode. Again, look at p.568 in Clymers for the gory details.

Or chuck it in and see your friendly dealer.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled

Last edited by RBEmerson; Aug 9th, 2016 at 8:42 pm.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2016, 5:49 pm
Noob

Garage
nice one...turned out to be the wiring had been snagged on the centre stand bolt (someone must have removed the stand at some point then didn't pay much attention when they refitted it.) over time this broke the wire ......soldered together and working great! thank you
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2016, 8:44 pm
Addict

William of Occam will be pleased (very simple rendering of Occam's Razor: go for the easy explanation before the complicated one). I'll bet you are, too.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2018, 10:37 am
Noob

I have the opposite problem on my 98 K1200RS no neutral light or gear indicator, plus no battery, oil temp or engine temp lights at startup. Also the alternator is not outputting power to the battery warning light on startup check. Then when you rev it the battery warning light comes on but a check shows it is charging the battery at 14.5v. I am thinking shorting wire or maybe bad earth but damned if I can find it. It has all come off the back of a faulty starter relay that left the starter running. I have checked the wiring and can't see any damage to it and the bike starts and runs fine now I have replaced starter and relay.

Does anyone know the polarity the sidestand switch pins are meant to be? I had in my mind that the sidestand switch was a switched negative. So all three wires should be negative... so when it connects one way it sends a message to the motronic relay and neutral safety switch and the other way no message so it knows stand is down.

The reason I ask is while fault finding to try to get to the bottom of this nightmare I noticed one of the pins is live (12.75v) which surely can't be right? that would mean the switch would connect a live and a negative?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in