Shifter adjustment or farkle? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2010, 10:42 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Question Shifter adjustment or farkle?

If I'm riding with my Combat Touring Boots, the shifter lever is simply too close to the toe of my boot, making for unhappy shifts loaded with false neutrals and missed shifts. If I wear my old harness boots, which aren't as thick, all is well. On my Connie, I just moved the shifter lever a notch on the shifter shaft splines and all was well. On the KRS, it looks as though there are two positions and that's it.

I've seen listings for thicker shifter lever ends, but I don't think that's what I'm after. I found one how-to that involved some serious grinding... oooooh, I think not. Has anyone seen a better solution to this issue? For that matter, who else rides with Aerostich Combat boots? What are your experiences with the shifter?

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2010, 2:40 am
Veteran

Do you have your pegs in the upper or lower position?...I'm thinking the lower position will give you more clearance
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2010, 3:42 am
Addict

You say you are against some serious grinding?

That's how I fixed mine and I now get a fairly easily adjustable shifter at the toe end without having to remove the exhaust heat deflector and mess with the levers, rod adjusters or splines which don't put the rubber end exactly where you want it anyway.

Try finding out the price of the short link lever that gets modified and you'll find it won't break the bank if you want go back to a stock shifter setup for selling.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2010, 9:10 am Thread Starter
Addict

The pegs are in the lower position. Worse comes to worst, I'll buy a spare shifter to feed to the Dremel, but I kinda thought this would be one of those FAQ thingies. Guess not... oh, well.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2010, 9:43 am
Addict

Now there's another thing. The older K1200RS pegs sit about 20mm higher than the newer 2000 on GT pegs. I put those on my bike and they weren't as expensive as aftermarket farklies and look oem on the bike. OK you only win about 20mm lower, but it make's a difference.

If you start messing with the peg height and shifter, you will probably need to look at the brake pedal and brake light operation. That may mean swapping out the threaded brake pushrod because you have to make sure the rear brake slave cylinder can return with the spec. amount of play. You can adjust the rear brake microswitch a bit, but in my case I had to replace the pedal stop screw with longer.

Nothing is easy on these so called adjustable ergo bikes, but it's worth taking the trouble to get ergos right for your body size. Obviously you should get the peg height right for you first if that's what you want, then look at the shifter.

A lot of this IS just down to boots. When I look at boots in the shop they seem to come with different heights on the bridge where you rest your foot on the pegs. When I first got some Dainese boots a few years back they sat horribly on the BMW foot peg because they'd molded in big ribs in the boot arch which fouled on the teeth of the pegs. I liked the boots for weight and comfort, so took off a rib or two with the angle grinder (big Dremmel!)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2010, 3:14 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I had a closer look at the shifter linkage. As my (German) ma-in-law would say: "Donner und doria!" Simple this is not. Time to warm up the Dremel for the shifter as not much chance I'll ditch my Combat boots - they work too well.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2010, 4:54 am
Addict

dremel it!

i simply cut off the raised portion of the shifter with my dremel, it gave me a full 360 adjustment availability. i bought a stainless longer allen screw and and used washers for spacers. it's been flawless on my '04 kgt for over 4yrs. when i buy new boots, i simply readjust.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2010, 7:29 am Thread Starter
Addict

So, in the end, you're just relying on crushing the part of the lever that meets your foot against the rest of the linkage? No lock washer in between?

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2010, 11:28 am
Enthusiast

After searching your other posts, I see you have an 03, so that means that you already have the lower pegs. So, if you do the dremmel grinder thing, you could grind both sides in such a manner as to leave them somewhat rough or almost knurled, thus providing some friction for either each other or a crush washer.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2010, 3:36 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson
So, in the end, you're just relying on crushing the part of the lever that meets your foot against the rest of the linkage? No lock washer in between?
I used a stainless steel crinkle washer in between and at the back behind a nut which I Loctited.

I foresaw a scenario miles from home where the link lever could have worked loose. Perhaps an overkill, but mine hasn't in over 3 years and once you set it up it should not need changing if you buy the right boots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode