Wiring a GPS to 2004 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2010, 9:47 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Wiring a GPS to 2004 K1200GT

Is there a way to wire a GPS to the front of the K-GT without splicing into existing wires or running all the way back to the battery?

I have a BMW connector that appears to tap into the wiring by plugging into the harness. It is supposed to be for the GPS or other such devices. Here is a photo of what I have. I'm trying to find a place up front to plug it in.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2010, 5:37 am
Addict

Most people tap into the parking light wire which is only powered when the ignition is on. But I don't like patching farkles into existing wiring because you can get electrical noise pickup.

Most people decide that a permanent up front fused junction box taken from the battery is what's needed. You can either make your own with waterproof blade fuse holders coming off the battery with say a 20-30 amp fuse and thick wire, then Y split to smaller fuses, or look at the Centech products which aren't that waterproof, but save thinking through the concepts. You could put your junction box under the seat and run the fused connections for your GPS up front. There's a hole in the front top brace connected to the triple tree that I've often thought might take a BMW power socket which has the waterproof sprung cover. But often you may add more things like lights/mp3/Autocom etc and need more than one fused connection.

What you want up front is a few separately fused power points where some of them are only active when the ignition is on. That does need one connection to the ignition 'on' wire and I would connect that tap to a 12 volt power relay so everything still comes from the battery terminals.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Jul 11th, 2010 at 5:43 am.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:52 am Thread Starter
Addict

Let me repeat myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug
Is there a way to wire a GPS to the front of the K-GT without splicing into existing wires or running all the way back to the battery?
I am not going to splice wires nor will I remove the body panels to run wires. One of the BMW parts pictured is for connecting the GPS. I need to know which one and where it connects.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2010, 11:23 am Thread Starter
Addict

This if from the official BMW parts fiche. 77_0019 - CONNECT.CABLE FOR NAVIGATION SYSTEM

It is #3

I am trying to find where to connect it. Since it is a genuine BMW part, it's got to plug in somewhere in the front of the bike.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2010, 2:02 pm
Addict

Plan on pulling the tupperware, or having it done, or doing without. Honest.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2010, 5:25 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson
Plan on pulling the tupperware, or having it done, or doing without. Honest.
I think that's what dealerships are for when you buy expensive BMW products and want to keep that 'factory look'.

But I'll bet when they start, all the plastics will be off, if you are lucky all the screws will go back and when they've finished there'll be solder wired patches to the loom, just like what the rest of us do.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2010, 7:55 am
Addict

C'mon, be fair. Not all dealers' workers are that cackhanded. Nonetheless, it's a wise owner who checks reputations before work is done, keeps an eye on the work performed, and calls a shop on work done poorly. Remember, too, that Mudbug is trying to use a harness meant to be plugged in, not just adding wiring with "vampire clips".

I just did my first tupperware removal and, even though I've been doing wrench-twisting for a while, found the job was a lot more involved than I expected. I did most of the maintenance on my Connie, built a touring Suzuki GS (v. retro, with a full Vetter Windjammer kit) and maintained a Honda CB900 Custom (the one with a two-speed transfer case behind a 5 speed tranny - a 10-speed motorcycle!) as well as doing the Vetter thing on that, too.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2010, 5:28 pm
Noob

Quote:
I am not going to splice wires nor will I remove the body panels to run wires. One of the BMW parts pictured is for connecting the GPS. I need to know which one and where it connects.
Quote:
I am trying to find where to connect it. Since it is a genuine BMW part, it's got to plug in somewhere in the front of the bike.
All the electrical connectors are under the fuel tank - it's like that on both my BMWs. The plugs - under the tank.

My advice is to find a Clymer manual and look at the wiring diagram.

--chiba

Yup.
'98 K1200RS (being hacked)
'05 R1200GS
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:03 pm

My 2004 GT has a plug that no one can tell me what it is for. It is to the left at the bottom of the fairing (you can see it looking down over the left bar just below and behind the light bucket) . You could probably get the cap out of it and plug into it with out removing the Tupperware if you hands were about half the size of mine. I tapped into the parking light. Works perfect, no electrical noise (I use it to play MP3s as well) and shuts off without me having to remember.

And the Tupperware isn't that bad to take off, takes about 10 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	097.jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	12323  

- CRASH -
IBA# 21680
"Motorcycles and beer, that is how I know there is a God and that he loves us."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2010, 4:39 am
Noob

I'm not a big fan of heated grips, so I use the power connections for them to power my GPS and radar detector

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode