Engine Chip - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2010, 9:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Engine Chip

Hi,
I just picked up my K12RS yesterday. Having come from a ducati Sport classic 1000s, this thing is a dream! Rode to the dealer 80 miles on the ducati and was sore. The 80 mile ride home was wonderful on the K.

The bike has a two brothers exhaust on it already. From what I have read on this forum, typically a chip is needed for the motor to run correctly with this exhaust. The bike runs very well. My question is how can I tell if the bike has been chipped? How can I tell what chip has been installed? I assume this is a chip replacement and not a software upgrade?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2010, 11:50 am

New Bikes

My first suggestion would be to disconnect the battery over night to reset the computer. These bikes " learn " your riding style, adjusting throttle response and the general "feel" of the engine depending mainly on your riding habits. I bought a used K1200R with an Arrow exhaust and rode 2500 km's before figuring this out! What a difference when it started to run for me instead of the last guy! If I am correct, the computer will adapt to the new variables of the aftermarket can as well when you "reset" it. As far as chips and what-not I am only aware of plug and play type units available for the K's. I think they would be very obvious as the usually plug in-line into the wiring harness somewhere. Booster plug ( http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...highlight=chip ) is one option that tricks your bike into thinking it needs a rich mixture and others like Power-commander you are able to do custom maps. All of which are plug-in style units that **should** be very visable. The Booster Plug website should show you where they are installed and from there you could have a look on your bike to see if you have it. I wish I had a power commander on my bike, but that little voice inside my head says 160HP is plenty.... not sure why though..... Oh, and welcome to the odd world of BMW K-Bikes!

Jerome
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2010, 4:51 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromy
My first suggestion would be to disconnect the battery over night to reset the computer. These bikes " learn " your riding style, adjusting throttle response and the general "feel" of the engine depending mainly on your riding habits. [...]
Is this true of the R alone or other K bikes, too?

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2010, 9:49 pm
Addict

My 2004 K1200RS with Remus Exhaust would run very fat at idle. lots of gasoline smell at idle.
I put a chip in after 36,000 miles and the smell of gas is not as bad but still there at idle.

To be sure what chip you have in there you will need to remove the cover for the ECU under the fuel tank, and look at the little chip. my orginal chip just has a silver piece of tape on the chip. no numbers or letters.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2010, 11:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson
Is this true of the R alone or other K bikes, too?
My memory tells me that this is true of all 3 K-bikes; R,S, and GT. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.... but I'm pretty sure they have the same computer essentially, just with different mapping.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2010, 3:51 am
Addict

Not quite. There are at least two printed board variations possibly more. The two I am thinking about could use either a very old chip which is difficult to find and program, or a newer type which can be re-programmed more easily if you can get the code dumps. The aftermarket chip sellers are the best to talk to about this.

First you have to break the seal around the lid of the ECU to get it off, it's quite tricky so be patient. Then you need to look at the actual chip number. I have never really worked out a relationship between BMW part numbers and what part numbers may by on the chip. The only sure way is to dump the code and read their header - I think Moditec does that over the diags port. But if you have the older chip it's not so easy finding affordable reader/writers for it.

Their chips certainly do have code sections for different KRS horsepowers, can't remember about the models so something else in firmware must be telling the ECU which section of the code map to use. I think the bike has model type and frame serial numbers which the dealer Moditec can read out and this could be how they link to the right map.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Jul 12th, 2010 at 4:11 am.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2010, 11:36 am Thread Starter
Noob

Ok, I will try the battery disconnect this week to see how that works. Will then look at the ECU under the tank. Thanks for the help!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2010, 7:56 pm
Enthusiast

Actually my understanding is, NO, these models do not learn as you ride. That is for the R, S, and GT of the new versions. See Voxmagna's notes on determining the chip you may or may not have. Not sure how the others do it, but Rhinewest provides a waferboard that plugs into the CPU where the stock chip resides, then their chip(s) plug into that board. I have had their chip when it first came out, and really enjoyed it. As noted, you need the numbers off your existing chip to be sure you get the right aftermarket chip, though if you get the wrong one, it simply will NOT RUN, I was told. Rhinewest (and I assume the other chip marketers) have dyno charts on its performance compared to stock, stock chip with Remus, Rhinewest chip with stock exhaust, then Rhinewest with Remus...maybe even more comparos now. I upgraded to the Cam Gear kit which is new cam gears and a new chip. Way better HP and Loads more torque. BUT, at the time I got it it was only for the stock pipe, which is great for me. I ride 4 hours at a time twice a day each week and most after market pipes are too much for that continuous riding.
For disconnecting the battery....be sure to reset your throttle position sensor by turning the key on without starting, roll to full throttle three times, turn the key off. This calibrates the sensor to what full throttle is. Those instructions came with my Rhinewest chips and said you need to do this everytime you disconnect the battery.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2010, 9:26 pm
Addict

Is that only for Rhinewest or does that apply to "box stock", too?

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:15 am Thread Starter
Noob

I was going to do this stuff this weekend and I think I will just pull the ECU cover to see what chip I have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode