Tool recommendations - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2010, 4:58 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Tool recommendations

I keep meaning to ask this: in addition to the usual lot of sockets, wrenches, allen wrenches, etc., what other basic tools should be added for working on the KRS. Obviously, a healthy range of Torx or star drivers is in order, but which ones? And any leads for an inexpensive (not cheap, just not Snap-On prices, either) source is welcome, too.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Noob

Clymer manual, star bits T-10-T30, oil filter wrench, metric long handle allen key set, metric T-handle hex key set, set of hex sockets, to do the oil filter you need either a 14mm or a 17mm hex socket ( I just bought the 4pc Craftsman set that had both). I suggest harbor freight or northern tools for picking up most of these.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2010, 5:36 pm
Noob

I recommend a 3mm hex driver - I have one that looks like a screwdriver - for the body panel screws. Makes the job ... well, not a breeze, but a lot easier. I got mine from Wiha.

I really prefer Craftsman tools. They're more expensive than the stuff you find at Home Depot or Harbor Freight, but that lifetime guarantee is hard to beat. I had a socket driver go bad on me on a road trip once, far from home - walked into Sears, swapped it out for a new one with no trouble at all. Just hard to beat that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
to do the oil filter you need either a 14mm or a 17mm hex socket
Could you explain this a bit more? How do you use a 14mm or a 17mm socket on the oil filter? If you meant the oil drain, which is it - 14 or 17? Thanks.

--chiba

Yup.
'98 K1200RS (being hacked)
'05 R1200GS

Last edited by Chiba; Jul 11th, 2010 at 5:47 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2010, 9:14 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Doh! on Clymer - I'll head off to Amazon and pull the rigger on that one now. Star bits at HF are something of an aggro. That is, I went to the local HF store looking for a good range of bits and... nada. They do have some in their 100 piece "warranty breaker" tool kit (all the weird bits needed to open stuff you're not supposed to open) but when it comes to the bigger bits, forget that. I also tried Sears and found a really bizarre set of T-handles (10 & 15, 30 & 40, or close to it). Otherwise... nada. I really, really, really don't want to chase down a Mac or Snap-On truck. [/hurl] Sockets, hex T-handles, etc. (SAE or metric), I'm good to go.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Addict

I have a battery powered small electric hand tool that will hold those small torque screwdriver tips and philps heads. Takes about 5 minutes to remove the tupperware.

I have all Snap-on Tools but for what you need to do just go to Harbor Frieght or Sears and get a tool kit. rachet and socket set for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive set of metric with a set of socket for allen, and torque.and all the combo wreches.

I highly recomend a 3/8 and 1/2 drive torque wrenches for everyone, so you know how tight to make things. Every thing.

I also use blue Lock-Tite on most everything. you can get this in a stick container just like "chap-stick". just some insurance the bolts don't back off.

Some where on this site or some others there is a torque chart for all BMW bikes. I have attached the conversion chart to inch and ft pounds.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Torque values attachment.pdf (20.9 KB, 21 views)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:21 pm Thread Starter
Addict

What do ya know... Lowe's Kobalt line includes a nice set of Torx "sockets" for under $30. Some are 3/8, some are 1/4, but at least I'm better off than I was at Sears.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2010, 3:47 am
Addict

Like The Fllash says:

I highly recomend a 3/8 and 1/2 drive torque wrenches for everyone, so you know how tight to make things. Every thing.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2010, 7:32 am Thread Starter
Addict

Amen and amen!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2010, 8:52 pm
Noob

going o bump this thread...

Say I was to start from scratch and needed a basic toolkit for just routine maintenance, where do I start? I had a 125 pc craftsman set that suited me well, but that's loaned to a farm at the moment. Is this where I should start? or do I need a more robust set to build into... We should get a sticky or something up with a basic set of tools for maintenance.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2010, 10:04 pm
Veteran

Wiha Tools gets my vote for Torx stuff. German made and it fits like it's supposed to. They even have screw-holding Torx drivers.

I had to use their ball-end T-15 Torx driver today to get some silly screws out that the straight-in and T-handle wouldn't get to.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode