Signal cancel button sticking - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2010, 7:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

Signal cancel button sticking

On my way to work this morning, I noticed my turn signal cancel button had stuck in. Easy to unstick in motion, but Any suggestions on proper lube and placement?
Also, I saw a thread on '04 self-canceling signals. Does the '03 have those?
(Please note I am not the original owner, and have limited history of the bike. This is my first BMW)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2010, 7:42 am
Addict

Yes, the '03 signals are self-canceling. Nonetheless, I almost always use the cancel button "just 'cause ya never know, ya know?"

The best lubricant for the cancel button is silicon spray. It's slippery and, most important, doesn't act as a dirt magnet. WD-40 might loosen the switch but it evaporates, leaving an oily residue (WD-40 is, believe it or not, fish oil-based).

For places where dirt and dust aren't an issue(*), Boeshield (the name comes from the fact this stuff was originally made for Boeing Aircraft) is excellent. It delivers Teflon grease in liquid form; the carrier evaporates and leaves Teflon grease behind. Boeshield is also very effective for sealing battery terminals, etc. Just spray it around the terminals, let it dry, and you're done.

(*) Any grease or oily film tends to hold dirt, grit, dust, and other metal-wearing things.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2010, 9:09 am Thread Starter
Noob

That did it. Now, about those signals...

Thanks, that did the trick. Better safe than gunked up.

As for the signals, I saw a few postings about the details, but there didn't seem to be complete agreement on them. Is there a time/speed/distance factor that BMW specifies?
Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2010, 10:08 am
Enthusiast

The turn signal will cancel automatically after exactly 1/10 of of mile has passed.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2010, 9:34 pm
Addict

Er... I think there's a time limit which is modified by "brakes on/brakes off" and bike motion. Put it this way, I've seen the turn signals switch off just after leaving an intersection (i.e., under 0.1 miles), and I've seen them stop blinking when I hit the switch early when approaching a turn (hoping to get the attention of the texting idiot behind me... gngh!!!) and, again, under 0.1 miles traveled. Actually, if anything, I'd like a longer time limit, particularly so I can come up to an intersection with the turn signal going. I used a Kisan Signalminder on my last bike and thought about them for my K, but I don't see them being of any value on a bike already equipped with self-canceling turn signals.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 8:53 am
Enthusiast

Nope... 1/10 of a mile... No More, no less. Can't remember where it is in the manual, I don't have my '03 anymore so I can't cite a page number anymore. This is a topic that had gone around quite a few times back a few years ago. If they are not canceling in the 1/10 mile area then there is probably a faulty sensor somewhere. Also, this is ENTIRELY distance based and has nothing to do with time, braking, lean angle or anything like that. If you stop at a light and rock the bike back and forth you might make it cancel early, but I don't think you are going to move it that far!

I used to have a GPS on the bike and I would get into the habit of hitting the turn signal when the GPS indicated 1/10th of a mile to the turn. Invariably it would cancel right after I made the turn.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 11:23 am
Addict

Er, something's hinkey somewhere. I just came back in from a short, go-fer, ride and saw the turn signals go off as I completed a left turn from a standing stop for the traffic light on the intersection. So... brakes on to hold flasher on, release brakes, ride off making left turn, and lights go out while straightening out from the turn. No 0.1 mile covered.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 12:20 pm
Enthusiast

If it works for you I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some people used to wonder about it canceling due to lean angle and all of that bull. Nope, just a simple distance traveled feature. Oh, and not to leave you believing that I don't have any experience on the bike, but I put about 60k miles on in 3 years, so yeah, I've played a bit with the whole self-canceling turn signal thing.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 9:53 pm
Rookie

I've never clocked the distance on the RS, but I have had self-cancelling signals on several HDs and several Kawasakis and I tend to agree with the 1/10 mile only concept. On my '03 anyway. I wasn't certain they would cancel at first, because the duration took so long. I finally waited them out and learned to turn them on sooner than the HD, now I much prefer the longer duration.

BTW, I have found CRC-656 to be an excellent product for freeing-up stuck tools etc. Dielectric, displaces water, and doesn't leave a gummy residue. Available in Marine stores.

"Cogito ergo zoom!"
Safety comes before speed. - Check the dictionary.

1999 Sportster "S" Cardinal Red
2000 ZRX1100 Jade Green
2003 K1200RS Pacific Metallic Blue

Last edited by Sunchaser; Jul 15th, 2010 at 10:05 pm.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2010, 10:56 pm
Addict

FYI, CRC's 6-56 is petroleum based:
CRC 6-56 link

I'd go with their Heavy Duty Silicone instead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode