Abs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Abs

Hello, I have a 2000 K1200RS with a blinking ABS light. My Dealer keeps trying to scare me in for repairs by saying the pump will freeze up @ $1500 if I don't hurry up and come in. Is this system so delicate that parts fail when something else goes wrong? Every forum I've been on talks about ABS,ABS,ABS! I don't mind getting a computer check and basic power bleed for $140. But, if this is gonna be normal, I may just remove all the extra baggage under the seat and install aTeflon 3 hose system and forget it. Does this go on all the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 8:29 pm
Veteran

First off what is your flash rate and what lamps are flashing...under your seat there should be a trouble shooting guide (sticker on the rear wheel well) showing different flash rates for different problems....if its an alternating flash rate between the warning light and the abs light of 1 sec it is a low fluid in your reservoir that is located next to your plastic coolent tank on the right side under the seat....its a small white plastic reservoir...you can see it just by standing next to the bike....look and see if either chamber in that reservoir is low....most likely the inner most one...it don't take much to be low....if its low you may need new pads...check those also..
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2010, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. You do know we have two different systems. Mine is ABS II, not Intergal. The sensors have been checked and cleaned.
The front and rear brake pads are fine.
The front and rear resoviours are full.
Speed bleeders are on the front. I bled nearly a bottle of DOT 4 fluid thru the system.
I have excellent brakes.
The ABS lights 1 and 2 blink alternately, 1 second apart.
I've got a new battery. I ride every day.
The only thing left for me to do is go to the dealer.
My question was, is it normal to have ABS problems often? Or is this a rare occasion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2010, 6:44 am
Enthusiast

I had an '03 for three years and put nearly 60k on the bike. I had no problems at all with the ABS system with the exception of the time I low sided on the right side and bent the foot brake up and it wasn't hitting the sensor anymore, I think. Then the ABS light flashed to tell me the system wouldn't initialize. You might want to check the foot brake, it doesn't take long...

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2010, 10:57 am
Addict

The OP has 'Excellent brakes' - but ABS is not functional??

The dealer knowing the age of the bike may be cautious about a possible unknown past history of irregular fluid changes. He's probably thinking when he puts the diags on it will spit out the 'ABS pump failure code' . Of course being a BMW dealer with liabilities he won't be gutsy about trying to fix a siezed modulator.

So if he gets the bike just as pistons may be starting to sieze and give that code early, he'll charge you up for a brake flush, try and excercise the ABS modulator and if he still gets the fault code, charge you up for that work AND a new modulator. C'est la vie!

There are wiring and sensor gap issues that could cause a less expensive malfunction.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:51 am

You ask if there are many problems with ABS on BMWs bikes.
I will say no. I have had several bikes with ABS, and so do many of my friends. None of us have had any problem.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2010, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I don't mind spending money to get it right, but, not on a regular basis. I guess owning Hondas for 15 years have spoiled me, as they are maintance free, except for oil and tires!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2010, 5:14 am
Addict

I had a Kawa GT550 shafti for 10 years and only ever serviced it.

Good motor, no final drive issues - but overall poor paint and finish mean't to last about 3 years!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Noob

There should be a way to reset the ABS computer. I know it's easy to do on the R-series bikes, mine's kind of old but I've done it.

Search the tech articles over at IBMWR.org & see if you can figure it out. With a new battery, you might just need a simple reset.

Your brakes will work just fine without functional ABS. I rode my GS for almost a year with blinky ABS lights and never had any problem stopping. Of course, the ABS didn't work, but I already knew that

--chiba

Yup.
'98 K1200RS (being hacked)
'05 R1200GS
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2010, 4:39 pm

The KRS ABS computer is really sensitive to voltage levels. It is often the first sign of a battery going bad. If your battery is more than a few years old, replacing it might very well do the trick.

I had this exact problem and it worked for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode