Wiring AutoSwitch to 04 K1200RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 6:22 am Thread Starter
Noob

Wiring AutoSwitch to 04 K1200RS

Christmas was good this year. I got a bunch of bike related toys, one of which was an AutoSwitch for my PIAA lights. I wired (or tried to wire) everything up last night and ran into a problem finding the signal cancel wire on my 04 K1200RS. The directions that came with the switch state the brown/white wire is the one to tap with the orange wire from the AS. They mention two locations to get the wire: in the bundle near the throttle side switch cluster or in a bundle behind the fan shroud on the throttle side (they say the right side, which I assume means as I sit on the bike.) I opted for the wire behind the fan shroud as it didn't involve opening up the protective wire wrap and it was a more concealed option.

But, the switch didn't change state. When I turned on the ignition, the AS LED lit red for about 2 seconds and went out. After that, holding the cancel button had no effect on the switch state and the lights would not come on. So I took the orange AS wire (the one to connect to the signal cancel wire) and connected it to ground momentarily. The switch changed state, the relay tripped and the lights came on. Groovy! So I checked for continuity between the wire I had tapped into and ground. It's always at ground, explaining why the switch wouldn't work.

So, after this long winded spewing of my tale of woe, my question to the collective is: which wire should I tap the orange AS wire to and in what location is that wire?

Here's to a healthy and prosperous new year for all. Thanks for any replies.

Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 7:10 am

Allan,
I'll have to check mine to insure it was the brown/white wire, but I'm memory-wise positve that it is. It changed state when I hit the cancel button - I verified that before connecting everything. The fact that you were able to change state on the autoswitch by connecting it to ground suggests that you might have the positive and ground power leads reversed. Solid state switches like this are sensitive to whether it's a positve or negative state change.

I will be diving under the tupperware this weekend to install a new power & fuse setup, so I should be able to confirm wire colors.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 4:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Re: Wiring AutoSwitch to 04 K1200 RS

How stupid do I feel right now? I pushed myself during the install of the AutoSwitch to get it all wired before quitting for the night. That left me tapping into the "alleged" brown wire with the white stripe at about 10:00 PM after working on it since about 7:00. I should have trusted my instincts and quit for the night. It wasn't like I was going out riding the next day; it's only about 35 degrees out and there's ice everywhere.

I went back to work on it today, after a good nights rest and during the day when I had better light. The damn wire I tapped was purple with a white stripe, not brown. Doh!

I tapped the correct wire and all works as advertised.

Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 6:47 pm
Enthusiast

Been there. More than once. One day I will learn when to quit too. Someone once did casual a study, I think, on his construction and carpentry business. He called his theory 'the 6th hour.." or something like that. Point being, at that time it was a good practice to evaluate if continuing would be productive, or just create more mistakes that would use up even more time to fix the next day. Live and learn. Glad it all came out well. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode