RS or GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy RS or GT

I am about to buy the 1200RS 2004 model slightly used next weak but i am in the dilemma with a few more 1000 euros i can buy the GT. Need some help to decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 2:58 pm
Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros
I am about to buy the 1200RS 2004 model slightly used next weak but i am in the dilemma with a few more 1000 euros i can buy the GT. Need some help to decide.
That's a personal choice. I like the wind in my face and try to ride in warm weather so I prefer the RS. Cold and rain would make the better protection of the GT a better option but of course you would be giving up the sleek beauty of the RS.
Hope you are looking at a RED one, they are the fastest.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 3:00 pm
Addict

RS or GT

Go for the GT you will like it.

Hanshi
2007 BMW K1200LT (black)
2004 BMW K1200GT (grey-green, sold)
Reading, Pa, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Are you getting cruise control? This is a most useful factory option whether you get a GT or RS.

The consensus on this forum seems to be that the GT seat is more comfortable than the stock RS seat and has optional heat which the RS does not. Many people opt for aftermarket seats whether it is a GT or an RS. I bought my RS used and it has a Corbin seat. At some point I plan to buy a second seat that is larger and more comfortable for touring. Then I can swap back and forth.

The GT has more wind protection for hands and legs, however the GT wind guards can be ordered and owner installed on an RS, color matching at extra cost for the hadguards.

Many have more than one windscreen, summer and winter or touring or sport, so I would wouldn't worry about which stock screen is preferable, some GT riders use RS windscreens and I believe vice versa.

Bar backs give an RS rider a more upright GT like riding posture and they can be easily removed for more sporting riding.

In short, I think the the choice is as much about which paint scheme you like, unless you plan to keep the bike stock.

I like the flexibility to be able to reconfigure my bike to suit the weather and type of riding I am doing and I think I would be equally happy with either a GT or RS.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 4:00 pm
"DELIVERS"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
That's a personal choice. I like the wind in my face and try to ride in warm weather so I prefer the RS. Cold and rain would make the better protection of the GT a better option but of course you would be giving up the sleek beauty of the RS.
Hope you are looking at a RED one, they are the fastest.
I like the wind in my face also....that's why I put an RS screen on my GT....the GT is an RS, so the sleek beauty remains, but with comfort improvements....next time you see a fire, notice the color at the hottest point...it's not red!

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 4:14 pm

what sort of riding you do?

Have ridin both. I live in Colorado and will often disappear for a 1000 mile weekend of mountain riding. GT is the way to go. If you want to zip around town on short runs...get the RS.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 4:33 pm

I have the RS. If a GT was available at the time, I would have opt for the GT. I have upgraded my RS to look like the GT now. Just doesn't have the hand and knee gaurds yet. The GT seat is a much comfy seat and I love it.

Which ever one you buy, you must get the cruise control with it. Thought I wouldn't ever use it, but now I use it more often, justs to relax my right arm once in a while. There are GT's out there that are not cruise control equipped!

'04 K1200RS- sold
'06 R1150GS Adventure ( Final Edition ) ( Still in Crate) 4-sale
'04 Honda RC51 ( still in the crate!) 4 sale
'08 BMW HP2 Sport #43 (awsome)
'09 BMW HP2 Sport w/ABS #77 ( still in crate)
'10 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 5:23 pm

If I lived in Athens I think I would ride an RS! Not that I have ever been there, but the Greeks that I know here in the states make me think RS not GT. Either way you have chosen a winner.
Good luck - FlagGS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT

Last edited by FlagGS; Jan 6th, 2006 at 5:32 pm.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 5:40 pm
Veteran

A GT is everything the RS is and more. If you don't want the more it can come off until you need it.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 5:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanshi
Go for the GT you will like it.
Dito, I agree, I met someone in Ghent Belgium whom was actually selling his>>>

I do my own stunts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode