Brakes problem... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 3:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Brakes problem...

I just ride back home to Sweden from Corsica and Sardegna. I dit some mountains and after the brakes went wrong: the front dose not work in of, and the back blocks in the city, at low speed. On the display: ! lights coutinylolsy and ABS flash 4 kb/m. I went to a dealer in Italy but they coult not fix the problem. they tryed a lot of things to fix it, but negative, its about the brake computer. Any one who experienced this brake adventure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 4:40 pm
Addict

Need bike model and year, also type of brakes if you know.

Different years have different systems.

Are you home now?

I think you need a good BMW approved dealer with workshop.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 7:38 pm

Well, if his profile avatar is an actual pic of his bike I'd say he's got a 1998 or newer K12RS. Most likely a 2000 or 2001 by the look of his red on silver colour scheme. I have had the issue of the continuously blinking ABS lights twice with my 2000 and both times it was a simple matter of realigning the ABS sensors. Once front and second time back. You can pick up a small stone or pebble and they'll get knocked off their position. It doesn't take a very big rock either. It could even be small enough you don't hear a tick or notice anything at all. Mostly it's an orientation issue. If the sensor isn't perfectly square with the trigger rotor the sensor has trouble distinguishing one bump from the next and the control module is unable to boot properly. However a misaligned ABS sensor like the kind I am referring to would not explain a non-functioning front brake or a locking rear brake. There has to be something amiss with the ABS control module if it's routing all the brake fluid line pressure to the rear instead of the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 10:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Its a 2002 model with integral servo ABS
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 3:44 am
Addict

It's the hard use of brakes on mountain riding and probably fully loaded that got me thinking.

It's too easy for these calipers to overheat and get siezed pistons, which is why I'd still suggest a top to bottom braking system check by somebody who knows about Beemer brakes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 3:48 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks, actually the brake failure went after hard riding in moutains, I steel have waranty on bike and I go to my dealer to see wath they can do
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2010, 8:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

I went to my dealer and they checked the brakes. The ABS module need to be replaced, and this funny box cost only approx 1000 USD... but the bike steel has some warranty, so they do it for me incl. the rest of the work, brake fluid and replacements. the back brake plates, was totally finish... I wonder if I buyed the bike with this malfunction... but who knows? I buy it for one year ago, and ride on it 7500 km. Total km on board: 45500 km.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2010, 2:12 pm
Addict

You are lucky you had warranty.

I thought you might have destroyed the rear pads and rotor.

BMW will now be charging even more for new bikes!

Ride faster and use less brakes in future.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 8:43 am Thread Starter
Noob

Well It dos`n matters how I ride as long as that little nastty module box dont work. The bike its made to use mostly the hand brake , and his doing the rest off job for you. My dealear said that there was air in the brake system, som others her on forum mean that the ABS sensor was dirty. However I allways use the brake as less as possible. This selv-check system is not used anymore on the latest bmw bikes, there is presure in the brakes even that the engine is not running. So I am riding a exotic bike...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 6:05 pm

Wow, Swede bikes have long warranties.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode