front cowl how to... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

front cowl how to...

I just took the RS apart, now I have to put it back together... you can allready guess...yes i have screws left over at the end.

My question here is this: I just put the front cowl back but I can not figure out how to get it to "click" back along the windshield. on both sides there is a piece the needs to "click" just right. but it is sticking out still... i do not want to damage or break anything... How do I make it fit correctly? by pushing it in?

I do my own stunts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 6:51 pm
Enthusiast

Make sure the windshield is in the "up" position first. Line the tabs up that need to go into the slots, make a fist and hit them firmly with the bottom of your hand.

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney
Make sure the windshield is in the "up" position first. Line the tabs up that need to go into the slots, make a fist and hit them firmly with the bottom of your hand.

Thanks I was thinking about that but didn't want to crack the tabs.

I do my own stunts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:15 pm
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by belga1976
I just took the RS apart, now I have to put it back together... you can allready guess...yes i have screws left over at the end.

My question here is this: I just put the front cowl back but I can not figure out how to get it to "click" back along the windshield. on both sides there is a piece the needs to "click" just right. but it is sticking out still... i do not want to damage or break anything... How do I make it fit correctly? by pushing it in?
File the bumps off the tabs, so they are easier to "snap" into their slots. Don't worry, the cowl won't fly off in the wind without the bumps.

Matt McCabe
06 R1200GS Adv
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 5:05 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies...

I do my own stunts
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:59 am
Rookie

On a similar item, how does one remove the plastic instrument cover? I have removed both screws on both sides (along the windsheild) but the piece doesn't seem to want to "let go". Is there another screw somewhere, or some tabs or clips?
All other plastic is already removed, except for the front fender.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 11:47 am
Rookie

The trick is to remove the windshield and some of the associated parts
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 1:30 pm

Cowl......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
File the bumps off the tabs, so they are easier to "snap" into their slots. Don't worry, the cowl won't fly off in the wind without the bumps.
If you are talking about the little pins that secure arms to windsheild, I read somewhere a trick of using a same size small socket (from socket, ratchet set) and using a hand held screwdriver type socket holder, gently push the plugs through. Or is that to remove them??. Oh well. Plus, this is why my friends call me Mr. Anal, when I remove things off my bike, starting with fastener screws, I take a small peice of masking tape marking a number on each one. This includes the part also as being one of the numbers. Then of course, assemble back in a reverse order. This also helps if you leave the project for a period of time, like, to go get a beer, go take a s---, or get a call from your girlfriend that she is extremely horny.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 4:03 pm
Rookie

I not only removed the pins, but also 2 small, metal right angle arms at the bootom of the windsheild mechanism.

The pins are easy to get out. I used the nut driver with the hex bit (same size as body panel screws) and just gave a little push. Then you can grab the pin from the other side with your fingers and pull it out, with its keeper.

I label all my parts, too. Even have hand drawn diagrams.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:46 pm
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200GTosprey
If you are talking about the little pins that secure arms to windsheild, I read...
No, I was talking about the cowl, before the thread was hi-jacked into something about the instrument cluster and windshield.

Matt McCabe
06 R1200GS Adv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode