1999 BMW K-Series K1200RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 9:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

1999 BMW K-Series K1200RS

Looking at a 1999 BMW K-Series K1200RS with 20k on the odo. Guy is asking $2700. The bike looks like it has been taken care of. Any issues, opinions?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:43 pm
Addict

Armed with utterly no other information or pictures, who can say? $2700 for a '99 KRS could well be a win, but... 20K for a ten year old bike is on the low side. Is there more information on this bike? Is this a private sale or...?

"Input! Need input!" - - Johnny Five

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 4:32 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson
Armed with utterly no other information or pictures, who can say? $2700 for a '99 KRS could well be a win, but... 20K for a ten year old bike is on the low side. Is there more information on this bike? Is this a private sale or...?

"Input! Need input!" - - Johnny Five
This ^^^
How long has it sat with 20k miles on it?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 7:47 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Bike was listed on ebay and didn't meet reserve. I got a reply from seller accepting my offer. The bike is about 30 miles from me. I was planning to take a look and probably a ride. Not much money but hate to spend even $5 for grief.
I wanted to enquire about the bike in general. I haven't owned a BMW cycle before, only jap bikes.
" It has has been dealer maintained, Michelin Pilot Road Tires with 500 Miles on them, ABS, Bags with Touring and City Lids, extra tail light fender housing, clymer maintenance manual, extras include - Knee pads and Tank Protector, Lexan Headlight Guard, Running Lights in Turn Signal Housing (Front and Back), LED Stop Lights with extra bulb, TrottleMeister, Lowered Straight Pegs and Shift Lever Lowered (Original Pegs Included"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 8:46 pm
Addict

Well, the description's encouraging. However, even a cite to the eBay auction would be a big help here (auction number or seller's eBay ID would make it possible to locate the expired auction). Lets put it this way, I'm still curious about the mileage. Keep in mind that leaving a bike to sit, unused, for many months to a few years, doesn't stop aging. So-called dry rot can get to hoses, gas can leave deposits in the fuel system, moisture can start to rust parts, and on and on. Please understand, the mileage isn't a deal-breaker. It is a cause to ask questions.

You didn't say what you'd ridden before, other than being from Japan; there is the inferred question of what's the difference between BMW's and UJM's. So let me run on at the keyboard a bit...

I've owned bikes from all of the Japanese major brands at one time or another. I'm new to BMW bikes, but have owned BMW cars for almost 20 years. Trying to sum up the differences as briefly as possible, Japanese machines are more about flash while the BMW is more about substance. Of course there are some excellent Japanese bikes in all categories, well engineered, powerful, and handle like a dream. Conversely, a run through the BMW product line will show a lot of flash in the designs. Still, it helps to remember that the BMW comes from a country where there are still major stretches of major roads where there is no speed limit at all. If a bike can't live in that environment, it's soon relegated to the "nice try" category and left for the kiddies to play with. It's that background that gives the BMW something no UJM has.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 8:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6869&viewitem=

I presently ride 04 st1300, 03 valkyrie, DR650, KTM 525.
Don't really need another bike but I have never owned a BMW.
Thanks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2010, 8:42 am
Addict

OK, now we have some useful information. Assuming the service records check out, assuming the bike rides well (or at least the owner can do a good demo), and you have a handle on the mileage (being in Michigan, all-winter riding isn't a big option, which would lower mileage) and general treatment of the bike, I'd strongly consider the project. The scrapes are consistent with a simple tip-over. If that's all that's there, I wouldn't lose much sleep over them.

One quirk in the KRS' - at idle the engine shakes. They all do it and, by itself, it's not a problem or sign of a problem. Off idle and moving, even at low speeds, the engine should smooth out save for a very slight buzz in the high 4000 to low 5000 RPM range. Again, "they all do it".

Overall, I think you'll be amazed at the engine's good manners and patience with not shifting when you want to just ride and not spend time on gear-jamming. When you want to really twist the loud handle, hang on! Even a simple energetic overtaking pass can get you up to 80-90 without trying. Again, remember this is a bike designed to function at speed in a country where speed limits begin at 60 MPH, run to 75+, and go away altogether in places. At the same time, town speed limits are the 25 and 35 MPH we see here, and the bike does that well, too.

It'll be interesting to hear your comments on the K1200RS in comparison with your ST1300. I wouldn't be surprised if the ST1300 went away.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2010, 9:04 am
Rookie

For $2700 why not take a shot?

Bob
04 K1200GT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2010, 9:44 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptnclays
Looking at a 1999 BMW K-Series K1200RS with 20k on the odo. Guy is asking $2700. The bike looks like it has been taken care of. Any issues, opinions?
Thanks
Not too many years ago I got that much for a '85K100RT w/ 78K on the clock.
Now I wish I kept it.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Does t look like the saddle bags may have aftermarket covers? They seem too shiny and too small to be BMW issue. Is this the going rate for a KRS of this vintage? Under $3K?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode