HID Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 11:27 am Thread Starter
Rookie

HID Problem

Hi All,

I recently had installed a new HID to replace the stock headlamp.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/4300k_Moto...t_p/mc-4k.html

After a ride this weekend, I noticed that the light would not switch on - when I switch it on, the light flicks on and off twice as if it is trying to fire up but does not then come on.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks

Last edited by Razel; Aug 23rd, 2010 at 4:29 pm. Reason: Fixed URL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:11 pm
Addict

I don't know the electronics in this product, but I'd guess there is water or something shorting the HT wire or bulb connection (20,000volts!). The ballast may be trying twice then shutting down because of a fault.

But it could be a lamp or electronic ballast gone faulty. With those kind of voltages and the arc running voltage up to 400 volts, I'm not prepared to suggest tests for fault finding.

Make sure the battery is good, the wiring to the HID ballast is ok, check the wiring to and from the ballast, in particular the HT ignitor wire (usually fat like an HT cable), and the bulb holder connections. Look for moisture or water. If you take the panels off and try to light the lamp in the dark, you may see arcs and sparks from wiring which could give a clue.

Otherwise, presumably you have some warranty? Remove the whole kit, test it on a battery and if the fault repeats, return it.

Be careful, HID voltages are dangerous and may remain in the wiring for a while after a battery is disconnected.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:30 pm
Addict

What he said - sounds like possibly a wiring problem or, more likely, a problem in the ballast. When testing the lamp off the bike, remember the bulb gets extremely hot (fire hazard hot).

Best of luck on this!

- - - -

Here's the link working correctly: KBCarstuff link

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2010, 9:53 am Thread Starter
Rookie

many thanks for the help - much appreciated.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2010, 3:01 pm

seen this before, possible bad bulb
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2010, 3:28 pm
Addict

The most fragile part of a HID bulb is the internal ignitor wire that runs top to bottom. It's relatively fragile and doen't take kindly to rough treament in the mail and some have been known to detach.

Yes, you may be right about the lamp because the ballast will usually try and start 2 or 3 times then lock out if an arc is not struck. It does this because the arc ignition is the most stressing on the ballast electronics and also to prevent fires. I've seen that high voltage ignition when I forgot to re-connect a lamp and the ballast connector was just hanging. It isn't just like an HT coil spark. It's full of massive energy and I have no doubt it could do you serious harm.

The problem with kits is there's always a risk it could be the ballast or even a wire insulation fault, so after doing some checks I'd still return the whole thing.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2010, 8:32 am
Noob

My HID low beam,thu still working,caused intermitten LAMPF warning.
Went back to standard H7...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:42 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownranger
My HID low beam,thu still working,caused intermitten LAMPF warning.
Went back to standard H7...
Which HID did you have? 35W? 50W? 55W? The H7 bulb is 55 watts, so if you had the 35 watt version in there, it may not have been drawing enough to satisfy the CAN-BUS module that controls the low beam.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Addict

Could also be the type of pulse load the ballast presents to the lamp failure monitor, particularly during the lamp start period. Now I remember when I bought my ballasts they were specified for oem use and that included cars fitted with CAN lamp failure monitoring.

But they weren't cheap units and a little bird told me they were the same inside as Hella oems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode