Talk to me about Tires - 2004 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 1:59 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Talk to me about Tires - 2004 K1200GT

On the older K bikes I've owned over the years, I tend to like Metzlers. I ride solo, do a lot of straight line riding (this is Illinois after all) and am curious what other members like on this bike?

Thanks in advance -

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 4:35 pm
Veteran

I don't know what to tell you for sure, everyone was swearing by the Michelin PR2s for a while, I did install them on my bike and while the rear one is holding strong at 18,000 Kms but does need replacing, I had to replace the front at 13,000 Kms it being badly cupped. What I did notice is that the front was already showing signs of wearing flat at less than 3,000 Kms, mostly I think from riding too much straight lines on my way East.

I now have a Pilot Power in front, handling is very good, but that one is also cupping at less than 5,000 Kms.....again not too many curves going through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois,Iowa,South Dakota and Montana.......! But on that subject, cupping, I think if your tire is already wearing flat from too much slab, and then you hit curves, there is probably the reason they cup, from forcing the ridge into the curves.

I see PR2s on sale up here right now, so may go back to them again, but will make sure I can wear them out in the twisties first. If the front does cup again,then I will certainly be looking at alternatives.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:59 pm
Addict

H96669,

You report that you have tire cupping, I am wondering how many miles are on your shocks? are they OEM?

I have never had cupping but I changed my BMW shocks to aftermarket at 24,000 and now have 50,000 miles. My last front PR2 went 11,000 mile and just got to the wear bars.
Tire had even wear on entire tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2010, 12:44 am
Enthusiast

I have also changed my suspension - to Ohlins, front and rear, and now experience no cupping and enjoy riding in the last 10% of the tyre - normally a frustrating time in the twisties. I swear by a Pilot Power single compound up front, and a Pilot Road 2CT on the rear. After all that, tyre pressure is VERY important, and has been discussed time and time again on this forum..... It is difficult to justify a purchase based on someone else's experience or recommendations as everyone has a different riding style with different demands from their tyres. We all ride on hundreds of different road surfaces and conditions in different climates, all creating different wear characteristics on any given tyre. Read and absorb all that can be found on this site, and make an informed choice.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2010, 1:07 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fllash
H96669,

You report that you have tire cupping, I am wondering how many miles are on your shocks? are they OEM?

I have never had cupping but I changed my BMW shocks to aftermarket at 24,000 and now have 50,000 miles. My last front PR2 went 11,000 mile and just got to the wear bars.
Tire had even wear on entire tire.
I think riding the slab at high speeds with a load of gear is what sets the tires into a bad wear pattern, first you wear them a little flat then everytime you turn it forces the "ridge" over causing cupping. But Yes brand new Ohlins,I couldn't have done that last ride without them....!

Will see what the next set of tires does in our twisties, no more slab for me for a while...!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2010, 9:01 am
Addict

Well you have some very nice twisties in BC.
I have the flat slab of over 100 miles before I get to them. But that only takes an hour.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2010, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
I think riding the slab at high speeds with a load of gear is what sets the tires into a bad wear pattern, first you wear them a little flat then everytime you turn it forces the "ridge" over causing cupping. But Yes brand new Ohlins,I couldn't have done that last ride without them....!

Will see what the next set of tires does in our twisties, no more slab for me for a while...!
I'll be in your neck of the woods come Monday or Tuesday. A few of us will be riding south and into BC and I intend to enjoy Hwy 6 between Silverton and New Denver as well as the steep hump ever to Kaslo and back to Balfour. Maybe even a dip at Ainsworth if time permits. Not sure if we'll make it out to Needles and Fauquier or not but if you see a silver K12RS with blue stripes and Alberta plates on the road it'll most likely be me. I also like the lonely ride from Needles to Lumby but I don't know if we'll have enough time to venture that far before having to turn back. Hopefully the forcast will improve by then. Currently calling for rain in the Slocan Valley for those days. I have a friend who owns a heritage cabin at the old ghost town of Sandon. Apparently it was a brothel during the gold rush. He lives north of ND in Hills. I grew up in Kimberley before moving up north and spent every weekend in my teens and early twenties exploring the roller coasters you guys call roads over there. I wish I lived near you. I always liked Nakusp.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2010, 12:04 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Umm. Back to the topic of Tires (Tyres?)

Thanks guys. Appreciate your thoughts.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2010, 12:15 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
I'll be in your neck of the woods come Monday or Tuesday.
Bummer, I could have shown you my heritage cabin....no brothels here but interesting stories nonetheless. But I have to leave Tuesday morning for the coast on four wheels....

Back to tires....altough the Pilot Power single coumpound in front does have similar ( if not better) handling characteristics to the PR2 in the twisties, it is a little twitchier at higher highway speeds, over 90 Mph. More noticeable when crosswinds are present or when buffeted in the wake of the semis. Most of that twitchiness (but not all....) I managed to dial out with the rear shock adjustments....But a bit hard to tell for sure right now as I am running a high milleage rear PR2 with a near new PP front.

But Thanks Ohlins for being so much better than OEMs at that fine tuning.....a rebound damping adjustment that actually works makes all the difference.....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Over the last year I have had the Metz Z6 Interact from summer thru fall 09., The Michelin Pilot Rd 2s changed to them November, second set May, and Dunlop Q2s July and then again this week.. For the most part, same riding, route, and load

Quick overview. Metz Z6s.. slightly longer wearing in the front, about 13,000 miles, rear usually right at 10,000. They tend to wear to the left of center, and have pull to right that can be balanced by wt in the left bag. Great straight line over than that. Steering a bit heavy. Best price for set was usually about 285. Where rear is in the last 1000 miles it develops this real funky profile shape. The tire wear indicators do a great and accurate job of showing wear. When any of them get to the surface, you have about 500 miles left before metal shows;. You are to change them at that point.

Michelin PRs Front develops wear pattern that buzzes at 4,000 but remains pretty constant after that. not intrusive into ride of bike. In my few sets, the rear made it to 11,000 miles and had a bit more tread left than the front. Nice that they do wear out as a set. The best tire to run straight. easy to put a little wt in left bag and have no pull to right. Great profile wear over the life of the tire. Tends to want to flop into turns, esp at slower speeds. Best Price for set 261

Dunlop Q2s, Give the bike a wonderful very neutral steering feel. Best of the lot. The pull to the right is there but can be balanced out. Good wear across profile wise but not as great at the Michelin. Was getting somewhat flat in center towards end Set changed at 6000 miles (included two track days). Best price 209 for the set.

I want to try the Avon Ultra Storms but liked the Dunlops so much I bought another set.

................... wear .... handling ....... pull 2 rt ......... profile at end ........ price/set
Metzler Z6 ..10,000m..heavy but gr8 straight...very noticeable....worn to left, funky.... 285

Michelin PR2.... 11,000 m.....,falls into turns.....not much.....rear Great, Frt buzzy .... 261

Dunlop Q2s... 6,000m.... wonderfully neutral ....noticeable.....rear squares off some... 209

NCS

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode