Petrol marks on screen - how can I remove them ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 2:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Petrol marks on screen - how can I remove them ?

On a recent trip around Europe (yes - it was fantastic , 3300 miles in 11 days) I splashed some petrol on my screen. It has left some milky marks - is there a way I can polish them out ? If so, what do I use and how do I do it ?

Thanks
Woodsie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 6:59 pm

Same thing happened to me. The return spring on the pump handle's latch failed or was missing so the pump latched in the open position without me knowing it. When I released the handle, the handle didn't release with me and it kept merrily spewing petrol at full speed all over me, the bike, and everything nearby.

In my case the milky effect seen in the windshield was due to the plastic being damaged by the petrol. It is not a layer that can be washed off. No solution for me other than replacing it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 10:48 am

It can't be removed but there are products that can hide the mark. Unfortunately those products are not available to the general public. If you take your bike to a competant detailer he will be able to hide it temporarily but nothing will remove the mark. The plastic has been altered. It is damaged. I splashed mine as well and after paying $20 about a half dozen times to hide the mark I decided to replace the windscreen.

Always have a piece of paper towel in your other hand before you begin pumping the fuel. You can use it as a splash guards in lots of ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:52 pm
Noob

same thing happened to me and my aeroflow windscreen. I bought some Novus scratch remover #2, and put a buffing wheel on my Dremmel tool. you need to be real light with the Dremmel so that you wont carve into the screen, but about 10 minutes later on all that milky etching was completely gone.. If you are gonna trash your windscreen for a new one, try the Dremmel technique, what do you have to lose??
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2011, 5:19 am
Addict

What bike, how old?

If the bike is an older RS, try what others suggested but consider getting a new screen anyway. I bought the 'Comfort' screen for my RS which I think is a GT screen and it just gives a bit more height.

Although I bought mine a few years back before our sales tax went up to 20%, I didn't think the dealer price was too over the top.

If your screen is oldish, putting on a spanking new shiney screen is a simple job and will make your bike look like it's new!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2011, 11:27 am
Enthusiast

While I have no experience with this exact issue, I have used the following product to remove scratches in plastic with varying degrees of success:

http://www.novuspolish.com/

I'm not sure if it will work for your issue but I thought I would offer it up in case you were not familiar with the product.

Best of luck!

"I am a Cafe Racer myself on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." Hunter S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode