Re:Royal Purple Synchromax - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 7:30 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re:Royal Purple Synchromax

Has anybody used Royal Purple Synchromax in there transmissions? I just changed out my trans fluid yesterday and put that into my bike, but haven't ridden it yet. I use Royal Purple Oil in the crank case and I've been using their Gear Max for the diff. So I just took the last step for the transmission but would like some feed back if anybody else has used it? The bike is a 2002 K12RS with 16000 on it. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2010, 9:45 pm
Rookie

I haven't put any RP products into my RS, but I have used their oil in my Kaw for over ten years and 65K miles, and RP gear oil in the tranny of my Sporty. I have had no signs of any failures or undue wear. I think they make very high quality products and any laboratory test I have ever seen has rated their products at or very near the top. I haven't changed any gear lubes in the RS yet ('03 bought in Feb, 15K mi), but I may well use RP products when I do.

"Cogito ergo zoom!"
Safety comes before speed. - Check the dictionary.

1999 Sportster "S" Cardinal Red (Sold)
2000 ZRX1100 Jade Green (Sold)
2003 K1200RS Pacific Metallic Blue (Traded in)
2016 S1000R Racing Red (Loving it)

Last edited by Sunchaser; Sep 26th, 2010 at 10:05 pm.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2010, 10:13 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Good to know! My concern was that it didn't seem "thick" enough, it just looked so thin to me that I wasn't sure I was putting the right thing in? I've had in a few weeks now and it does seem to shift a lot more positive and smoothly. We just changed my wifes 2000 R1100S out to the same thing and she's already noticing a difference, and on a side note her transmission took quit a bit more oil then ours do? Our bikes take almost 3/4 of a qt. (600 CC) and her's took 1.1 qts. I thought they had the same exact transmission? Live and learn. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2010, 12:12 pm

First, In a totally unrelated discussion with a pretty good service manager at a local dealer. He said that unless a customer demands synthetic in the transmission they will NOT use it for the RS/GT series. Their experience was the tranny seals tend to fail due to the design perimeters based upon dino oil and not synthetic. With 9 hrs labor they want to avoid that for the customer. So they put synth in everything newer and heartly recommend but strongly resist synth in the RS/GT transmission. Their words and conclusions.

So I looked at Royal Purple and the Synchromax to see if it was synthetic. What I read was
"Synchromax is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid."

Should you have used their Max Gear product in a suitable weight?

Are you absolutely sure you got the right RP product for your need?

NCS

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2010, 5:40 am
Veteran

If it was thin chances are you put the oil used for manual transmissions that require ATF....You really should get that out of there! or double check the specs.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 1:38 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

On the side of the bottle it very specifically says for use in motorcycles, plus I think I read on this very forum some years ago that it came highly recommended?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 2:34 pm
Veteran

You better go study their website carefully.

http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-chart.html

Or this:
http://www.royalpurple.com/gear-oil-m.html

Nowhere in there does it says that you can replace API GL-5 specs oils with Synchromax, quite the contrary. Max-Gear yes, not Synchromax.

It may say on the bottle "for use in motorcycles"......but which motorcycles?????

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 5:27 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re:Royal Pruple Synchromax

Alright I just did what I should have done in the 1st place, I called Royal Purple and had a very nice conversation with a tech. Yes you are all correct in the fact that that is not the proper weight oil for our transmissions, but he said that Synchromax is designed to compensate for such errors in judgment but I would definitely know if something was going wrong, he did however suggest that I change it over to Gearmax, so that is what I'm going to do. Thank you again for your helpful insights and suggestions. :-)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 7:19 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007007
but he said that Synchromax is designed to compensate for such errors in judgment but I would definitely know if something was going wrong, :-)
I don't think I want to know what he really meant by that..... I have seen the insides of my tranny, nothing I'd like to throw money at "if something was going wrong"

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 10:10 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I hear ya! But it's not quite what you think. The trans would either be quite hot and you'd feel it down by your foot, or it would wine our clunk in every gear and absolutely nothing like those things where going on. BMW WAY over engineered this transmission and I know I'm not hurting anything as it got smoother and quieter so that tells me the oil was doing it's job, but I'm still going to change it out to the Gearmax. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode