K1200RS '02 H3 (hi-beam) HID INSTALL - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2010, 4:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question K1200RS '02 H3 (hi-beam) HID INSTALL

Just did a low beam (H-7) HID install. Works Great, got the install instruction from the Pirate and it was a snap. So I ordered the H3 (hi-beam) HID. No instructions for the H3 change. Read somewhere that mod's will be needed for the H3 Hi Beam. Anyone done this? Any instructions, anywhere? I searched 30-40 pages of post on several forums. I can do most with proper instructions but do do want to try on my own. Someone else must have done this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2010, 6:35 pm
Addict

I've done it and also several others who have posted.

I'm afraid you won't get 'step by step' instructions in the kit, because these involve some pretty radical Dremmel and filing to fit the H3 base in the quirky BMW deep socket adapter. This isn't a plug and play job like the easy mod. on the low beam.

Those of us that have done it would probably admit it isn't a job to be proud of, but you can make it work. The big issue is an aftermarket firm should really come up with a replacement for the BMW holder which can take the H3 base HID lamp. But until then it's Dremmel and file to make it fit.

If you want to do it, then start by buying a second BMW High beam holder. They aren't that expensive. Then you have the original to fall back on if you go back to the oem lamp or get a problem with the mod.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2010, 8:03 pm
Veteran

the trick is to take the BMW plastic base and slot it so you can run the cable through it..its not really a big deal but you will see what i mean when you go to do it...wish I could explain in detail but its been a while but you'll get it when you go to do it...did I say "do it" to many times...damn cheap beer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 9:47 pm
Addict

What Voxmagna said - it's doable but it's a bit of a challenge.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thumbs up K1200RS '02 H3 (hi-beam) HID INSTALL

Thanks all for the replies. That's sort of what I thought. I will buy the extra pieces to work on, and with a dremel tool, uni-bit and a bit of hi-temp silicone I will get to work when I return. I was thinking along those lines but just needed some reassurance. I will attempt to document as I progress so it might be of help to anyone who might benefit from the info.
Thanks again.

Last edited by rbzzo; Sep 28th, 2010 at 11:44 pm.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 11:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Done and it works great. I'm now burning holes in the back semi's. There is also a way to do this without cutting any wires so that if you want to go back it is doable. All you would need to do is get the back cover for the headlight assy. Direct from any dealer for about $18.00 US.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2010, 2:17 pm

Rbzzo- Any delays in brightness when you flip to high beam? I've had an HID low beam in my 04 GT for about three years now, which makes my stock high beam useless, interested in following your effort.

Ray
04 GT
BBG1500
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2010, 12:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

It comes on right away then, there is about a 2 second delay for the high beam to come to full brightness. Not much of a problem because the low beam never goes off. Seems to me that the high beam is pencil thin and reaches way down the road. Have not had oncoming drivers flash me for being too bright. Low beam is bright at 35 watts but it is sorta soft with no hot spots. When the hi beam is at full brightness you don't realize how bright it is until you turn it off. So pleased that I just ordered a full set for my Harley.
DDM Tuning for the best price. Also read somewhere that the 55 watt slim (digital) ballast may be faster. Forgot to mention that both hi and low beams are 5000K which is very white with no color tint.

Last edited by rbzzo; Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:33 am.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2010, 9:27 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbzzo
It comes on right away then, there is about a 2 second delay for the high beam to come to full brightness. Not much of a problem because the low beam never goes off. Seems to me that the high beam is pencil thin and reaches way down the road. Have not had oncoming drivers flash me for being too bright. Low beam is bright at 35 watts but it is sorta soft with no hot spots. When the hi beam is at full brightness you don't realize how bright it is until you turn it off. So pleased that I just ordered a full set for my Harley.
DDM Tuning for the best price. Also read somewhere that the 55 watt slim (digital) ballast may be faster. Forgot to mention that both hi and low beams are 5000K which is very white with no color tint.
Pretty well the same here, but I went for 55 W High beam, 4,500K, delay not very noticeable if the bulb is warm, more so with a cold bulb, nothing critical because of the 35W HID Low beam. Pencil thin ,Yes, but I have seen other brands of bulbs (Phillips ????) that have a metal deflector built into them, may help for light dispersion,will have to check into that again.Not sure if they would clear the housing.

Nobody has flashed me yet and I have done quite a lot of night riding at both ends of Canada this summer, met quite a few cops at night too and none have turned around to question the legality of my lights so.....so far so good and I feel MUCH safer at night than last year!

I did bypass the "drilling holes in the cover and cutting a slot in the bulb housing" by removing the rubber grommets,cutting grooves on the bottom of the headlight assembly where it joins the cover and running the wires downward that way. And....because I did not trust the BMW wiring, went for a relay set up powered with 12 Ga.wire right from the battery. Bringing a proper size wire to the front will also let me power "other" farkles that are now somewhat mounted/powered temporarly.

I just hope you don't have to deal with DDM customer service......!

Lots of Bambis/wood rats here......gotta stun them! Yep I am putting some on my car too, already had one very expensive encounter with one of them creatures!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 1:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

As I said on the last post that I was getting a set for the Harley, they are here already. A lot more complicated than I had expected as I have two headlights in one (03 Road Glide) and each lamp contains both hi and low beams. With the experience I gained with the K1200RS it shouldn't be a problem but will just take a little longer and a bit more planning. At least I still have the beemer to ride and winter is coming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode