Clutch slip - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2010, 6:18 am Thread Starter
Noob

Clutch slip

I have a K1200RS 1997 with an intermittent clutch slip problem, the bike has one previous owner and has only done 15000 miles from new it also has been serviced every year when the bike was in for an MOT by the main dealer, the previous owner had money to burn I think, anyway the bike has never seen a wet day, until I got it!
The clutch seems to slip every now and again in any gear, I have noticed when I change gear if I let go of the clutch lever (dump the clutch) it doesn't slip quite so badly.
I recently took the bike on a couple of hundred mile run and it was fine for about the first fifty miles and then it started to slip quite frequently so I did the dumping the clutch through each gear change for a good few miles and the problem went away for a good while.
There doesn't seem to be much feel in the lever but this is the first hydraulic bike clutch I have ever had and imagine they may all lack a little feel.
Could I have your thoughts on this problem please please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2010, 8:40 am
Addict

If you keep letting it slip with 135 bhp, your clutch will eventually be destroyed. You have to find out what the problem is, before more clutch parts are damaged.

It's not the mileage of the bike that really matters here, but it's age. The bike may have had 6K services, but the brake and clutch fluids could have been left in for years.

It's difficult to say if you've done more damage now by riding with a slipping clutch. The first thing you need to do is make sure that the hydraulics are fully releasing the clutch. There could be a dirt blockage in the lines, master or slave cylinders, or a siezed push rod. Worst case is the bike has been ridden with the clutch slipping and it's now worn out.

You can try a fluid change and re-bleed which is pretty simple on the clutch side, but also think about the brakes if the fluid looks black or 'dirty'. I don't know a simple way to tell if the hydraulics are fully releasing or to check the push rod without some tricky dismantling of the clutch slave.

You could try operating the clutch gently a few times and open the clutch bleed nipple a little. If fluid squirts out rather than dribbles under gravity that would suggest a blockage.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2010, 9:42 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbsy
I have a K1200RS 1997 with an intermittent clutch slip problem, the bike has one previous owner and has only done 15000 miles from new it also has been serviced every year when the bike was in for an MOT by the main dealer, the previous owner had money to burn I think, anyway the bike has never seen a wet day, until I got it!
The clutch seems to slip every now and again in any gear, I have noticed when I change gear if I let go of the clutch lever (dump the clutch) it doesn't slip quite so badly.
I recently took the bike on a couple of hundred mile run and it was fine for about the first fifty miles and then it started to slip quite frequently so I did the dumping the clutch through each gear change for a good few miles and the problem went away for a good while.
There doesn't seem to be much feel in the lever but this is the first hydraulic bike clutch I have ever had and imagine they may all lack a little feel.
Could I have your thoughts on this problem please please
I've actually just gone through this exact same situation.

I bought my K1200RS after it had been sitting virtually un-ridden for, as near as I could figure, about 18 months. Bike was in good nick, and the clutch had been done just before I bought it, so I thought I was good to go.

About 10000k's later I started to get clutch slip - not when pulling away, but when riding and cracking the throttle to, say, pass someone.

After a bit it got somewhat worse - kept hitting at lower and lower revs - so I took it to my mechanic and asked if there was something I could adjust to sort it out.

He pointed to the side of the gear box where it mates with the engine on the right (brake) side and said "See that oil trace? You've done the rear engine seal, and it's leaking onto the clutch".

Seems K1200's don't like sitting for long periods without being ridden - things dry out, and when they do get ridden again, seals give way. When my mechanic was replacing my clutch (I was worse off - I needed the slave cylinder and paralever bearing done at the same time!), he had no less than two other K1200S/RS models in the shop for the exact same reason - one of them was 4 years old but had only about 18000k's on the clock - similar situation, owned by an occasional rider and left to sit for long periods of time.

So look close at the right hand (rear brake) side of your gearbox where it mates with the engine - if you see any oil seepage from there, then I'm afraid you're up for a replacement clutch and rear engine seal.

DaZZa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2010, 5:31 pm
Rookie

Take your bike out on the highway and in fifth or sixth gear open the throttle like your going to pass someone. If your clutch slips then its probably your main seal leaking and should be replaced along with the clutch and pressure plate. when you are in to the bike and can see the slave for the clutch it's my understanding that if it leaks the fluid will ruin the seal so to prevent having to redoing everything "check and see if your clutch fluid is down" good luck
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2010, 7:18 am
Veteran

A oil contaminated clutch will most likely grab... not slip...I'm thinking its your spline and the plate binding on the shaft due to inactivity and rust build up or weak springs...but with that mileage I wouldn't think it would be the springs....get out there and work it...if it gets better it was probly build up on the spline

Last edited by BAK04GT; Nov 14th, 2010 at 7:28 am.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
A oil contaminated clutch will most likely grab... not slip...I'm thinking its your spline and the plate binding on the shaft due to inactivity and rust build up or weak springs...but with that mileage I wouldn't think it would be the springs....get out there and work it...if it gets better it was probly build up on the spline
Oil contaminated, yes. Should grab not slip. Same as oil on brake pads. Grab, not slip. However, brake fluid contamination will make it slip and these bikes are no stranger to weeping clutch slave cylinders.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2010, 6:31 am
Veteran

Brake fluid will cause grabbing also....any contamination on a clutch will make it grab oil, grease, brake fluid, peanut butter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode