Mystery Hose - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:35 am Thread Starter
Noob

Mystery Hose

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me what this hose is and how to get to it? Does it require dropping the motor down to get to it?

It zig zags across the top of the motor.

Thanks,
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Line.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	12596  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 12:05 pm
MIK

it would be helpful if you told us what you are trying to do
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 1:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

What I'm trying to do

I have the skin and the fuel tank off as I performing other maitenance. While looking in that area I saw this hose. The bike is 7 years old and the hose doesn't look too good. I'd like to:

A) Determine what it is so I can determine the severity of what it will or won't do if it comes apart.

B) I'd like to replace it myself if I can.

Also, the picture is deceiving in the sense that it looks like the hose clamp is closer to the outside edge than it is.

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 2:31 pm
Addict

That picture deceived me 'cos I can't make anything out from it. Here are some 'hoses' you can look out for:

1. 2 high pressure fuel hoses connecting up to the pump flange at the bottom of the tank.

2. 2 hoses, 1 vent 1 overflow running down to the swingarm from the tank on EU models, but something different for USA Cannisters.

3. An extension hose to the clutch slave bleed nipple, running horizontal across the frame so you can bleed the clutch.

4. Larger diameter rubber breather hoses on top of the motor that rot on old bikes and need replacing.

Why not find out what's on the end of the hose then ask the question? If you don't know, then you really should be buying a Clymer manual before you start messing about and do something wrong.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 5:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Voxmagna

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a Clymer manual. If you don't know what the hose is, it's kind of hard to look it up in the Clymer manual. That's why I took a picture of it and posted it out here to see if anyone else knows what that hose is, so I can look it up.

For reference this is just above the crankcase. You can see the disconnected fuel/vent lines dangling there.

Does anyone else know what the mystery hose is?

Thanks,
John
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 7:53 pm
MIK

what year is that bike? I don't remember seeing any hose there
http://nedod.fomac.net/other/k12gt/m...97648.jpg.html
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Veteran

Yes.....Crankcase breather hose.....snakes on top of the engine, then goes to a Tee next to the throttle bodies, from the tee it splits,one end goes back and ends behind throttle body No.4, the other goes forward and ends behind throttle body No.1. I had a good look at that arrangment and also couldn't not find it in the Clymer, but go look at the parts fiche on Max's website, it is there somewhere.

But to get it out.....ahum!.... you will have to remove the air box and if your bike is like mine, some of the clamps are non-reusable so you will have to buy some. I haven't been in there yet but did buy some reusable clamps, don't remember the size and am not even sure they will fit due to the clearance issue with the throttle, but I think they will....!

What kind of quick disconnects do you have on them fuel lines ?????

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 8:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

MIK - I apologize, in my haste to post the pic I did forget to date the bike. It's a 2003 K1200RS.

H96669 - Thanks for the information!! It tees huh? It looks like a real headache to get to that one. By the looks of it, I'd like to replace it. I'm gonna chicken out and have the dealer do the full circuit brake flush soon. While it's in there I might just ask them to tell me what that one will cost to replace...

Fuel line quick disconnect is a CPC. It was on the bike when I got it and I was pleased to see it there. I think I dribbled less than a teaspoon of fuel when I took it apart. Never had to drain the tank...

Thanks again all!!!

John-
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 8:50 pm
Enthusiast

Yep, am in agreement with H96669, crank case breather hose. There are a couple of ways to remove and replace....last time I only did the large portion that you can see and used long needle nose plyers, long screw driver, etc. and went in on the right between the frame and the crank. PITA, but easier than doing the whole thing. About a year ago the whole section was a $78 part. It has a special molded 4 nippled hose for the throttle body connections and pretty much requires the crimped clamps there vs screw clamps. The molded section then snakes over to a poly tube that the piece you show then clamps onto, it is part of the 'whole'. That larger piece was nicked by a mechanic the last time it was replaced...eventually it split. If the large portion or the individual throttle body connections split you get two less than desireable results. You loose some of your vacume at the throttle bodies, but probably more noticable is the oil that begins to puddle on your engine or even spill down the side by the exhaust. All depends on how bad the split is and how long it goes unnoticed. Replacing from the crank side (rider's right) is only the short piece of large hose - PITA but doable with the right tools, no fun. From the head-side (rider's left) is more involved with removing the airbox, but technically fewer gymnastics in small places, physically less difficult. Having done it before, I knew I did not have the right tools to do the throttle body connections, but I had oil puddling and had to take care of it. Not sure what they would charge to replace at the dealer, but now you know what it is.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 9:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Y2K12RS - I knew it was gonna be a PITA the minute I saw it. I don't see oil puddling up there, but the whole outside of the hose has a thin coat of oil and dirt covering it.

I bet it's time for replacement!

Thanks very much guys for this information.

John-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode