K1200rs wont start - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 8:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1200rs wont start

I went to start the bike this morning for work. Low/dead battery, crap. OK so I'm back home this afternoon and I hook up a battery charger. I accidently switched the charger from auto to manual. The starter made a noise and noticed a very small wisp of smoke came up from battery local. Tried to start the bike...lights/instruments came on so it looked good. I pressed the starter and nothing happened. So I popped the starter relay, right? This is my 02 K1200rs and getting to this relay requires removing the gas tank...there kidding right? There must be an easier way. I'm not sure I have a spare for this anyway. Any help or just roll start it on the way to the shop?
Thanks.....

02 k1200rs
92 fatboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Veteran

You don't have to remove the tank to get into the electrical "Box", just the right side plastic.And edit again, I just checked my pics, yes they say take the tank off, but I think you can lift it enough to get in there. Still a PITA and that relay is not cheap.

But clean the battery connections first, one of the ground wire is dedicated to the starter.

And what do you mean switching from Auto to Manual? If you have one of the famous BMW gel battery it does need a charger designed to charge gels. But if you were charging with the ignition OFF, it should not have affected the relay.....with the ignition ON and a power surge...maybe Oooops!

I have to edit...reread your post and you said the starter made a noise when that happened, they are known to get dirty from carbon dust and cause electrical gremlins with the grounds, I don't have the logic of that here, but certainly know how to get that starter out of there without tearing half the bike apart if that is the case.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Last edited by H96669; Sep 27th, 2010 at 10:25 pm.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

It was the charger that made the noise not the starter. When I switched it from auto to manual the meter jumped to full charging and a second later flipped back to charged. That was when I noticed a very small wisp of smoke that came from left side somewhere between the fuse boxes and the battery. I thought there might be an inline fuse that runs down the left side in the harness that is near the battery. All eight fuses look good forward of the battery. And like I said when I turn the key ON all indications look normal and the head lamp seemed quite bright. But when I pushed down on the starter button...nothing but silence. No cranking, no nothing. So now I'm using my friends smart charger to ensure the battery is all it can be.

02 k1200rs
92 fatboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2010, 2:20 am
Addict

OK, smoke from that area is certainly in starter motor territory. Don't think that is your problem but check it out anyway. On the outer end of the starter is an earth wire, and it has a rubber boot over it. I am no sparky expert, but I certainly know about starter problems on these bikes- the electrical system is earthed through the starter earth, and when that starts to fail, all sorts of gremlin shit starts to happen.... Maybe you have cooked the earth wire so, get down on your knees with a torch, and, pointing the beam upwards from the gear shifter, you will see the back end of the starter with a rubber boot covering the earth. Prize it off and check it is OK. Also, the battery has TWO earth wires, with one going into the loom and the other screwing to the cross member of the frame, also located near the starter. To check the latter one, remove the battery and remove the fastening screws for the fuze boxes and pull them gently out of the way. You will need a torch, and (more than likely, so have one handy) a magnetic retriever for dropped screws etc. It's a long way down when you drop something.... If that is OK then I suggest some time with the auto electrician is money well spent as he will have the equipment to diagnose the problem quickly. My fault consumed hours and hours of frustration, only to be diagnosed as a faulty earth inside the starter (dirty armature) in less than an hour. IF you need to remove the starter, PM me and I will forward detailed instructions on how to remove the starter without a complete tear down of the back end of the bike! BTW, you can build a magnetic retriever by borrowing the magnet off a kitchen cupboard latch and attaching it to a length of wire - works a treat, but put it back to avoid marital conflict.... I will be off the air waves from Oct 4 - 12 as I need some time under a palm tree on a tropical pacific island .

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads

Last edited by flyingkiwi; Sep 29th, 2010 at 2:33 am.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2010, 1:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Kiwi...I'll give the ground wire a look see. Hopefully I'll be able to spot it as you discribed.

02 k1200rs
92 fatboy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2010, 9:46 pm
Veteran

If you need to remove the starter....there you go. The pics kind of show the ground wires but one is already off. I have better ones, just can't post them from here.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21257

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2010, 10:23 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Ok what the hell...I put the battery back in this afternoon so I could roll start it or to ensure I could get it started in some fashion to ride it to the shop. I got it in and decided to see what would happen if I try to start it....And what do ya know, it started up without a hitch. I don't know what happened. It went from no crank what so ever to rolling over ever so easy.
And here I thought I toasted something since it wouldn't even attempt to turn over. Thanks for all the advice though.

02 k1200rs
92 fatboy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2010, 2:10 am
Addict

But if you end up with unusual electrical gremlins like indicators not working at highway speed, lights flickering, and the speedo needle jumping at startup, let me know..... By the way H, nice pics of a very clean starter motor! Nice work on that project, and I might add, there is a need to take the dremel to the casing so the starter can be freed from its confines although I left my alternator bolted up. To be honest, didn't think about loosening it as I was not sure what I was getting into in there.... Of course, the removal of a small amount of surplus alloy is definitely not visible when the job is reassembled.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads

Last edited by flyingkiwi; Sep 30th, 2010 at 2:22 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode