seat adjustment - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2010, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

seat adjustment

I have recently purchased an 03 GT. The seat was in the low position. I wanted to try out the have the high position but noticed that there is a slight side to side movement at the front of the seat. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this normal? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 8:24 am
Enthusiast

It is EXTREMELY finicky to say the least. You probably don't have the seat in correctly if its moving around on you... I think in the upper position you kind of have to get everything lined up and then give it a REALLY firm push to lock it into place... You might want to check that the seat hasn't been damaged already by someone not knowing/caring how to do it right.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 11:26 am
Veteran

My seat could not even be installed in the up position when I bought my bike, I had to readjust the catch at the back of the seat. I don't know how the PO put up with that he was a way bigger/taller dude than me.

My seat also has that side to side play , so yes maybe "They all do that". No they don't....I just went and looked and I am missing one of the plastic caps on the front seat bar. That is the bar just behind the fuses, there is allen bolts on each end and they should have nylon caps on them. I was wondering why that annoying play just appeared at one point last summer.

But now that I added 1" of close cell foam and another 1/2" of gel on top of the existing vinyl and recovered it with some high quality non skid vinyl I can ride with the seat on the low position, the bike looks much better that way without the big gap between the tupperware and the seat.

And.....no more sliding on the bloody thing and hitting my package, or that horrible butt pain after a few hours on the saddle.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2010, 10:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your help. I don't have any plastic caps over the allen head screws so that probably accounts for the play in the front of the seat. I did add a washer on each end that help a little but not enough. I'll have to try to find some caps. Any thoughts on why it would be tighter in the low position?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 9:34 am
Veteran

Less play on low because it sits against the tank a little tighter?

But what you need is BMW part number 52532309507, Rubber Buffer at $1.91 each. There is more "Buffers" toward the center of the seat too.

You need this to check on all them bits...

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Excellent. Many thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 2:46 pm
Addict

Seat Woes

On my KRS here's what I figured out after a short 5 years of owning it. I put the seat in front first, push down slightly on the back to set the striker in the latch but DON'T latch it all the way, you'll hear it click. Take the front of the seat and set it in the high or low position by slight pressure forward, you'll feel when it's in place. Then spank the back of the seat forward to give it the final latch...........there, that was easy.

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jim S.
[/COLOR] * Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode