Distance riding on the K! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

Distance riding on the K!

I just finished my first what I consider long ride. I'm not sure if its the stock seat or my conditioning but I had a hard time staying very comfortable. I did 400 miles and really after 200 I was starting to get wore out. I know proper form for riding as per master yoda and it wasn't my back or my arms that were tired. It was mostly discomfort in my posterior section. Would a sergeant seat make some difference here? I am planning for a 850 mile one way ride to try out dragons tail, cherahola, and the blue ridge skyway and am just wondering if maybe I need an aftermarket seat or just more conditioning. Any ideas. Forgot to add I have an 03 GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:29 pm

I have an '04 RS. I found the seat on the RS was good for 150 miles then I squirmed a lot. I purchased a Sargent seat which I've had for about 2000 miles now. It is much better than the RS OEM but still unconfortable at 300 miles. So it's twice as good as the OEM but it's not my final seat destination.

Ron
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:44 pm
Addict

Distance riding on the K!

Take a look at the Russell Day Long Seat - I put one on my GT and I love it. Did some 10 hour rides this summer and no problems. You can get it with heat as well as a driver backrest. It is not cheep, but it is worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Russell Seat.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	1291  

Hanshi
2007 BMW K1200LT (black)
2004 BMW K1200GT (grey-green, sold)
Reading, Pa, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 7:11 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey55
I just finished my first what I consider long ride. I'm not sure if its the stock seat or my conditioning but I had a hard time staying very comfortable. I did 400 miles and really after 200 I was starting to get wore out. I know proper form for riding as per master yoda and it wasn't my back or my arms that were tired. It was mostly discomfort in my posterior section. Would a sergeant seat make some difference here? I am planning for a 850 mile one way ride to try out dragons tail, cherahola, and the blue ridge skyway and am just wondering if maybe I need an aftermarket seat or just more conditioning. Any ideas. Forgot to add I have an 03 GT.
Many laugh at the wood beads but they work for me and cost eight bucks from Wal-Mart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0098.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	1293  
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 7:17 am
Addict

easy solution

i too had this problem. the wood beads do the trick. the sargent seat helped, but i still may get a russell seat.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 7:30 am

Red face

I've got a Sargent on my '01 RS and have no complaints about it. I've done a 12 hour day on it with minimal discomfort.

Maybe the problems not the seat, maybe you need some more padding. I'll have my gf send you her eating plan to help you out in that area! (hope she doesn't see this!)

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 7:54 am

I wear padded bicycle under-shorts on rides exceeding 2 hours. They make a significant difference and prevent posterior pain. I can now ride all day without any problems. Suggest you give them a try before purchasing a new seat.-Al
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 9:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brothers
I wear padded bicycle under-shorts on rides exceeding 2 hours. They make a significant difference and prevent posterior pain. I can now ride all day without any problems. Suggest you give them a try before purchasing a new seat.-Al

Yes, the bicycle shorts work. In cold weather I wear fleece lined knickers [bike shorts that cover the knees too] and stay comfortable and warm.

Jerry

'06 K12S
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 9:19 am
Noob

the long run

I purchased a beaded seat at Lima Ohio and then spent 9 hrs riding back to Pa.
Guess what? It works fabulous for thisK1200rs rider. $16.00 total
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 9:22 am
tmh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brothers
Agreed - You might want to try some other options before replacing the seat. I just did my first "long" ride over the Christmas holidays - 360 miles each way to LA and back. I noticed some "posterior issues" after about 250 miles. For my next longer rides I'm going to try out my new Alaska Leather buttpad which I got for Christmas. I'm hoping that that, combined with the bum padding in my FirstGear HT overpants, will allow a longer period of comfort. And the combination will allow functionality of the heated seat, as necessary.

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode