Exhaust smell (?) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2010, 4:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Exhaust smell (?)

Hoping someone can help identify the source of this problem.. A bit of history. Bought an 04' GT with 2k miles on it (almost brand new...) this past spring. Love it, and have put on 8k miles since. I'd installed the Rhinewest chip(June) and then in August added a slightly used REMUS exhaust. Since the REMUS addition, I'm noticing that I have an unpleasant odour on my clothes after a ride (this in addition to my usual unpleasant odour) - its a slight smell of exhaust. I'm trying to figure out its source. I installed new exhaust gaskets when the pipe was installed and don't believe thats the cause of the leak. It almost seems like exhaust gases are coming up through the plastics and in from behind the wind screen, although I'm not sure that this makes any sense. Although the REMUS doesn't have the catalytic converter (so not all emissions are getting burnt/filtered), not sure how stuff exiting the pipe makes it way back onto my clothes.. Maybe a crankcase breather tube is discounnected(?)... Anyway, if anyone else has noticed something similar, would appreciate your feedback... Thanks/Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2010, 3:21 pm
Enthusiast

Just to be sure....you did just the RW chip, not the Camgear Kit? The Camgear kit and chip is only for the stock exhaust, so if you had installed that, it could possibly cause issues? But with the GT, it is possible you might be getting 'backdraft' as you ride along? I don't notice anything like that on my RS with the tall Aeroflow screen, but then, I would assume my sinuses are aclimated by then?

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2010, 3:41 pm
Veteran

Old & Slow ????......with a Remus and a Chip !!!!

But maybe just like our old cars when we could not open the trunk and drive, same with station-wagon rear windows......the Venturi Effect.

http://www.evilution.co.uk/576

But if you suspect the breather, that one is a pain to get at. Recent thread on it:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22820

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2010, 7:41 pm
Noob

amazing you mention this....i recently picked up a '03 k12gt like yours, mine is greenish silver, and i love the bike as well...it is now the only one i use....i don't have the chip, atleast i don't think i do, but it came w/a 2 brothers exhaust and my cloths stink as well, every time i stop at a light i get overwhelmed w/hydro carbons of gasoline...your not alone, i attribute this situation to the exhaust tip being so high up coupled w/the fact that the bike burns real rich...don't you love that power and acceleration?? well it comes at a cost apparently, when i bought my bike the previous owner gave me the stock exhaust which actually contains a catalytic converter, that would remedy this whole issue, but would wreak havoc on performance...and i see your wondering if its the breather, well, thats easy to figure out, just get a flashlight and look strait through the front of the bike from the forks to view the top of the engine and throttle bodies, if you have a broken breather hose, that whole valley will be soaked in oil....i had that issue, and i took it all apart, what a bitch....it turned out that there was no hole in any rubber but it was oil seeping around the throttle body rubber plenums, i think if you accelerate real hard, then release the throttle, during the deacc., the breather blows more crankcase gas into the throttle bodies than it can handle or take in and i think it pressurizes the intake air box and plenums and actually blows out the intake port in front of the bike and at the throttle bodies the oil saturated crankcase gas seeps through all the plenum splice points and leaves oil residue on everything....really a crappy design...i was going to reroute that whole system but then read somewhere that the oily air was needed to lubricate the throttle plates....sounded good so i just reassembled everything and re secured it...but i do smell crankcase gases as well sometimes and still have some oil seepage, also. i read some where that if you keep your oil level really high, there will be more oil in the breather system, this also sound like it makes sense... sorry for the long winded answer.

Last edited by 444rose; Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:05 pm.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2010, 10:20 pm
Rookie

You Noobsters be sure you check your fuel line quick-connects and if they are plastic, replace them as soon as you possibly can. There are many warnings on this issue. They WILL fail!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2010, 9:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Exhaust smell

I appreciate the replies back.. Yup 'old and slow' - although in my mind I'm still pretty damn fast. The WIFE actually mentioned the smell to me after my day long rides and walking into the house - she wasn't impressed (...and I should mention - hasn't been impressed with my 2-wheeled decease for the past 32 years!). I was wondering about the exhaust tip and the fact that it is shorter than the stock with the possibility of a vacuum effect - hummm. I'll check the crankcase breather, but don't really think thats the issue. I'm curious about the possibility of crankcase gases exiting the air intake system - I try and keep the oil level on the low side (my bike blows a bit of oil on startup, even though low mileage and this forum has commented back to me previously that this is normal). Oh, and its not a gas smell - the first thing I did when the bike was purchased (this past spring) was have BMW change out the quick-disconnects (under warranty), as they were leaking.

Appreciated/Brad
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2011, 12:04 pm
Noob

About 4 months ago i picked up an 03 K1200rs and it too has a two brothers exhaust on it and every time i stop i get "that smell" as well. Initially i thought there was something wrong but this thing runs like a top. It is incredible so I just let it go. So put me on the list as well but im not too worried right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode