Dodged the bullet - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2005, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Red face Dodged the bullet

On the way to work at 4:40 a.m. this morning, a car hit and kicked a light truck tire up in front of me at eye level. It dropped and I did my best to lessen the blow to the bike. One wasted ABS front brake sensor and some bodywork skidmarks along with some new underwear. Too close
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodge Bullet.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	574.3 KB
ID:	52  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2005, 9:03 pm

wow
you were very very lucky... of course, skill and experience were paramount here as well
glad you are ok
thanks for sharing

let's all be careful
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2005, 9:13 pm
Throttle Jockey

Yeah... WOW! Glad you are here too. Must have been very dark at that hour too. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2005, 6:51 am
Addict

i hate idiots in cages that just drive over shit without any regard to vehicles behind them. i had some ass drive over a truck retread and kicked it up to eye level fortunately the tire went in the opposite of the direction i was going. if that truck tread had hit me i would have went down for sure. time and time again i see cages especially trucks drive over shit without making the slightest effort to avoid debris.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2005, 4:42 pm

Take it as a reminder to keep some bike lengths between you and the vehicle ahead. If you can't see what is on the road ahead of you, you are too close. Having enough time(distance) to avoid that sort of occurence is important, right?

Glad you survived.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2005, 8:21 pm

I'm glad you made it ok, I always leave a couple of car lengths space for safety.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:51 am

Amazing how the tire crawled around your fork to take out the ABS sensor on the back side. I'd say that doesn't happen very often. Couldn't find the ABS sensor in my catalog so I don't know how much they cost but I bet they're not cheap. Looks like Beemerboneyard has one for $30. http://www.beemerboneyard.com/34522333484.html

What road were you on when it happened?

As for luck, I like to say that luck favors those that are prepared.

Cheers,
Jerry
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2005, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba
I'm glad you made it ok, I always leave a couple of car lengths space for safety.
If I remember correctly, recommended distance to vehicle ahead is one car length for each 10 mph. Most of us don't do that, but you might give yourself a little more room at hwy. speeds.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2005, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Red face

I had good following distance. The car in front of me tried to straddle the tire and go over it. An off road Goodyear Wrangler or something lying in the lane and a Honda Accord. Obviously ground clearence never was a factor with this bonehead. It was 4:40 a.m. in the dark in the carpool lane. I couldn't see the tire. The Honda blocked my view. He sucked that thing under his car and got it up to speed as it migrated back. It flipped out from under his bumper and sprang up to about eye level and tumbling. I was not in a position to clear this 40 pound rubber tumbleweed. I basically picked a glancing intercept point and and carried energy and momentum into the impact point. It went past my leg and under my elbow. I just wanted to get the handlebars past the tire without an instant left or right being executed. Rode the bike today. Bars and fork legs are twisted a bit. Loosen the hardware and realignment should do it. The sensor is $122.00. The whole event was maybe 3 to 5 seconds long. Just one of those things that worked out OK. Thanks all for the replies. You just never know what the next moment in time will bring.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2005, 9:55 pm

The road throws all kinds of crazy situations at us. Real glad you made it through safe enough to tell us the story.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode