problems with ZTechnik chip in an '04 KRS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:07 am Thread Starter

problems with ZTechnik chip in an '04 KRS

Carefully put a Z chip into my '04 KRS, and when I turned the key on the fans were running full blast and the fuel pump didnt come on (at least I couldnt hear it over the fans).

On the Z website, they list Z4025 as the chip for the '01-04 KRS. I called this morning and was told the chip is actually made for pre-'01 bikes, they've had too many problems with later RS installations. Mac (@Ztechnik) was cool enough to offer to send me another chip to try.

Anyone else have this problem on a later RS? My bike is stock other than a Z exhaust. I want to decide whether to tear down and try another chip, or get my money back and spend $400 on the Rhinewest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 4:39 pm

Not a chance. I have a 2004 and the chip works mint. Mine has the latest ECU module.

I don't want to insult you but are you sure that you put the chip in the correct way??

There should be a notch on the chip that matches up to a notch on the socket that you plug the chip into.

Any chance that you bent a pin when installing the chip?

The ZTech chip is for the NEWER bikes. Their site lists it for bikes 2001 and up only.

I believe that your ECU part number should be 7 673 166.

I think also 7 655 477 will work. ( not sure on that but I think so)

I don't think it will work with these numbers

1 464 838

1 465 218

1 465 232
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

No bent pins. Notch the correct way. Antistatic mat. Battery disconnected. Pirate discerned that I had an odd ECU (7 657 296). We're trying to figure out where the hell it came from. Bike is '04. He's heard of the condition- key on, fans come on, no cranking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 4:43 pm

7 657 296 is the part number for the UPDATED ECU that was part of a BMW service campaign.

It should work fine.

I had my ECU replaced by the dealer with the updated ECU.

I just looked at my invoice from the dealer and the part number that they installed in my bike is 1361 7 657 296 .... same as yours.

-Jack
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2006, 9:57 pm

I have an '02 with recently installed ZTech chip & exhaust and mine seems to run perfectly. Better give the new chip a whirl beore you give up, and please let us know how it turns out.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 7:07 am

Chips

Since we are talking about chips, I have a question for you guys. I took my bike in for the chip replacement and the work order that I got back did not say a thing about a chip. On the slip I received there was an entry for a $2.00 part. that was it. I just wonder if they just adjusted the injectors and did not change the chip. The reason I say this is, I still don't seem to have the throttle response that I feel I should have. The cold starts are better, but the warm idle throttle response is not what I have experienced on all of my other bikes... Is there any way to find out it the dealer did change the ECU? I did not know if you could go on line to find out from BMW or some other way before questioning the dealer. I have to say that I left the dealer feeling that the chip was not changed and now talking about it here got me wondering.

Thanks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 7:29 am Thread Starter

you would know (feel) the difference. the only way to be sure, other than calling your dealer, is by getting to the motronic and looking for yourself. A call would be far cheaper and quicker. If you took it to the dealer and said "replace my chip" they might have thrown a new one in the motronic- a new stock one. Unless you took a Ztechnik or Rhinewest chip to them and said "stick this in please", then you dont have anything new. And you wouldnt want a new chip without the exhaust can and headers to go with it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 8:32 am
Veteran

This is very odd but I have seen it before.. Whats REALLY odd is that when Z released their chip, they told us that unlike the Rhinewest chip which has an early and late version, their Z chip was only for LATE model K12's... 2002+... with the late version motronic box.

You installed the chip correctly. The first and best sign that you have the wrong chip (or wrong motronic box) is the fans kicking in after you install rather than starting...

If Z is making an early version of their chip.. it's news to me..

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2006, 1:51 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

chp woes

just tried the ztechnik chip on my 04 GT same symptom fans kick on no fire. Crap will call Ztech monday,

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2006, 3:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostewart
Carefully put a Z chip into my '04 KRS, and when I turned the key on the fans were running full blast and the fuel pump didnt come on (at least I couldnt hear it over the fans).

On the Z website, they list Z4025 as the chip for the '01-04 KRS. I called this morning and was told the chip is actually made for pre-'01 bikes, they've had too many problems with later RS installations. Mac (@Ztechnik) was cool enough to offer to send me another chip to try.

Anyone else have this problem on a later RS? My bike is stock other than a Z exhaust. I want to decide whether to tear down and try another chip, or get my money back and spend $400 on the Rhinewest.

Ohh...just read this post....how did your z-tech chip work out? After all was said and done?...I have one in the mail. Either of you 2 that had issues I'd like to know what happened.

"flying through hyper-space ain't like dustin' crops boy"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode