HID coming soon! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

HID coming soon!

I just ordered a low beam H7 kit for my bike from cqlight.ca $128.00 shipped. the reviews on the K12LT site were favorable so for the price I ordered up one and will install in the near future.

1999 Graphite K1200RS
Speigler Brake Lines
Wilbers Shocks
Tinted Blinker Covers

"It's not who we are, but what we do that defines us..." -Batman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 3:35 pm
Enthusiast

HIDrama

I'd love to here more about this product and Motorcycle install procedures.

I went to their site and I see that the ballast and igniter are 2 separate boxes...
Are all HID kits like that? The more wires, connectors, relays etc. the less I'm inclined.

Where do I find this LT chat?
I've never been there.

Please post procedures and results. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on lighting upgrades for both of my machines and can't decide on which way to go.

Thanks
DMilan
'04GT
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

The LT forum is found on this sites home page left hand side about halfway down.(online communities: BMW luxury touring )

I have noticed that some kits have the ballast and igniter all in one box. Check out the LT site they have a lot of info on the lighting upgrades in there Accessories,Gadgets and gear section there is a sub section for lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilan
I'd love to here more about this product and Motorcycle install procedures.

I went to their site and I see that the ballast and igniter are 2 separate boxes...
Are all HID kits like that? The more wires, connectors, relays etc. the less I'm inclined.

Where do I find this LT chat?
I've never been there.

Please post procedures and results. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on lighting upgrades for both of my machines and can't decide on which way to go.

Thanks
DMilan
'04GT

1999 Graphite K1200RS
Speigler Brake Lines
Wilbers Shocks
Tinted Blinker Covers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 5:55 pm
Enthusiast

Thanks for the easy link to the LT site

I see that you have an RS..
Do you know if the headlight assembly is the same in your bike as in my '04GT?

And are ours then the same as a pre '05 LT?

I'll take it from here, but please pm or post any other info as you go along

Thanks
Dmilan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 6:49 pm

I just read through the reviews on the LT site. Those guys are pretty well pleased with the CQLights product. They apparently will sell a "mixed" kit, i.e H7 and H3, for the same price as the auto kit. Good prices, it's got me thinking..........
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

I noticed over on the KLT site that if they got ten orders together they were going to give them a small break on the price. But they didn't get it worked out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws
I just read through the reviews on the LT site. Those guys are pretty well pleased with the CQLights product. They apparently will sell a "mixed" kit, i.e H7 and H3, for the same price as the auto kit. Good prices, it's got me thinking..........

1999 Graphite K1200RS
Speigler Brake Lines
Wilbers Shocks
Tinted Blinker Covers

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 8:39 pm

There is a post on the LT site right now with pictures and a long description.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 6:49 am
Addict

For what it's worth I've just done quite a bit of desk research on HID kits. These were some of my (not always conclusive) findings. It's a long post, but you might find something useful in it:

Not all kits are the same. Some manufacturers of kits mainly design build and test the electronics and don't have much to do with the lamp unit itself. It's the lamp unit that finally determines your beam.

All lamp units sold in kits to replace H series lamps come with non certified lamps. They have to, because the lamps and possibly their original holders are made for oem use and need to be adapted. It's easy to certify/approve the electronics.

There are 2 'reputable' sources for hid lamps fitted as oem in VW, BMW, Audi etc - Philips and Osram. You can buy their lamps in D2R D2S bases NOT H series and they are fully tested and qualified. Most low cost kits will be using Korean lamps. I read mixed reviews, so it's important to find a kit where the supplier goes to a lot of trouble in their testing - and ask questions about lamp testing in its holder! Oem units sell for around $1000 and a big chunk is Environmental/EMC/QA testing for uniform conformity.

Electronics in 2 parts (ballast & ignitor) are generally older design and more to mess around with in the limited space of our bikes. I think the ballasts incorporating the ignitor (smaller package) use more sophistocated design to start the lamp quickly and maintain arc brightness.

The precision positioning of the arc in the lamp, in relation to its modified base is not always guaranteed, tested or specified. The generic light output figures (300%) for hids are the lamp capsule only, not when mounted in the reflector as you use it.

All hid capsules age to bluer, higher K, lower light output. The gas mix and lamp quality will determine how fast a capsule will age.

The ability to cold start and reach full brightness quickly can vary widely across different kits, particularly where a dealer is only assembling components and badging as his kits. Delay in starting and reaching full brightness is important on a high beam.

Some kits have proprietary lamps and only work with the suppliers lamps. OK the life is long, but it's better to find out if another lamp can be fitted some time in the future or the price of a replacement lamp.

Vehicle lighting regs vary country to country. The kits are not certified and use a loophole as aftermarket replacements in some regions, so check with your bike test station first.

Lamp starting and running at low temperatures can be very important.

Restarting a hot lamp is generally fast but worth checking.

Most kits now are sold with lamps which incorporate a UV cut off filter. Our bikes have expensive plastic lenses so check what you buy incorporates a UV filter.

Some ballast units are not tested to be waterproof. generally this is because they are sold for the cagers where there's plenty of room to get the electronics out of the weather - not so on our bikes.

Some kits are not easy to retrofit back to filament - e.g you are on a long ride and the lamp or ballast fails.

The length of leads from the ballast to the lamp capsule can vary from short to long.

Some ballasts do not have E specs for interference - important if you are running Satnav, radio, radar detector etc

The higher the color temperature the lower the light output and bluer the light. I think 6K is about right to stand out more in daylight.

Warranty is important, the ballasts are high voltage units and need to be very rugged. Some units are made in ABS boxes, better ones are aluminium.

Some ballast units do not have fixing points on the actual case, they use a spring clip you fix separately to the bike/cage.

Hid installs can leave the low beam a couple of degrees to high, you find out what you've bought when you get your lamps put on a beam tester, checked and adjusted.

What to do with the parking bulb? Nice to have something blueish to match - will probably use a Philips extreme white or blue halogen.

Brighter hids produce more light scatter if you don't keep the front lens clean. Some regulations on new vehicle builds require auto levelling and headlamp washers to be fitted.

There are plenty of cheap kits on Ebay. After what I learned, I'd be wary and rather spend a bit more to get a kit with some testing, specs and which other bikers have given plenty of feedback on. I wouldn't put a bulk purchase deal together until I'd gone through the above and road tested one, but without decent testing one might be ok.

On the other hand, a really cheap kit might be worth taking a chance and be a good buy if it works for you.

I won't feedback which kit I'm looking at or trying until it's been on the bike a few months. I want a reliable warranted unit with good headlamp aim, easy change back to filament, able to use lamps from other manufacturers at a push and don't mind paying a bit more.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:37 am
Enthusiast

There are additional challenges mounting the ballast in a GT vs RS because of the cruise control module and windshield drive motor.

David Littlefield
Clute, TX
09 K1300S
70 Commando
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 9:28 am

Having installed close to 100 HID kits for friends, I know which kit I would go with. Although it is expensive compared to the Asian brands, I'd stick with www.HID-Online.com kits. They modified their kits based on feedback from me and a few others to make install easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode