Piaa mounts...... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Question Piaa mounts......

Just wondering......my buddy dropped off the mounting plates that he made for me from helpful post (my previous posts) for the Piaa 1100X lights. The persons/people that have installed them from say, the other kits, do they look like the ones you have?. They are specific, thickness, etc... . My lights arrive shortly, and hopefully every thing will go smooth. Excuse all my questions....posts....just want to do it right. Excuse is I have "cabin fever" and bored, although the next few days is supposed to be 50 degrees, and all the ice melted off the driveway today. Come 'on Spring!!. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00010.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00012.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00014.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1321  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:22 am

They look like they will work. The oil cooler bolts that the brackets mount to are not equal distant from the fairings and bike centerlines, so the offset holes on your brackets look like they take that into account. As far as other clearances, I can't say from the images. The brackets I bought had additional cutout sections to clear the fairings while remaining close, and a cutout with lip. The lip engaged into the cooler bracket and prevented the bracket from twisting.

Looks like the acid test is in order - mount the lights, drop the cooler bolts and install 'em! Make sure they don't rub up against any body work. On my brackets, I did add a wire retaining clamp to keep everything tidy.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:27 am

I don't understand the need for purchased or homemade brackets for this application. I just drilled another hole in the light mounting bracket to account for the offset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Huh?......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws
I don't understand the need for purchased or homemade brackets for this application. I just drilled another hole in the light mounting bracket to account for the offset.
You have me confused now. These are the mounting brackets. Plus, I did not purchase them, they are scrap pieces from my buddies metal fabrication/welding shop.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 8:35 am

That works on the powersport version mount bracket. On the automotive version, you can't drill another offset hole without compromising the integrity of the two-part plastic mount.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 3:04 pm
Rookie

They look like the ones I made. I painted mine black so they didn't stick out. The only problem I had I couldn't get the light to adjust high enough. Solved the problem by adding a couple of washers between the bracket and the oil cooler bracket.

I do half my riding at night (way home from work). I can't begin to express how bad I think the stock lights are on the K1200's. The last bike I had that had lights that bad was made in the 70's.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200GTosprey
You have me confused now. These are the mounting brackets. Plus, I did not purchase them, they are scrap pieces from my buddies metal fabrication/welding shop.
I drilled a hole in the bracket that comes attached to the light. I have Hella's though, not Piaa's. The bracket is U shaped and attaches to the light in each side allowing to aim up or down. The bottom of the U had enough space to mmove the mounting bolt hole toone side or the other. Sorry for the confusion, Osprey.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

Talking Okey-Dokey....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws
I drilled a hole in the bracket that comes attached to the light. I have Hella's though, not Piaa's. The bracket is U shaped and attaches to the light in each side allowing to aim up or down. The bottom of the U had enough space to mmove the mounting bolt hole toone side or the other. Sorry for the confusion, Osprey.
Now we're all on the same track. Just got my Piaa's today via Fed-Ex, and doesn't my "Centech" fuse block show up too !! . Have to get started, not til Sat. though, maybe gonna ride Friday, supposed to be 50 degrees here in upstate NY. No need to be sorry, I need all the help I can get !! . Thanks guys. Will keep you all informed on progress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode