Help! -How do I remove windscreen? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Help! -How do I remove windscreen?

I think I'll remove the short RS screen from the GT this weekend and put on the standard taller screen. I know this should be an easy job but for the life of me I can't see how the pins holding the screen in place come out (and they look awkward to get at). How do you pop them out...with a screwdriver...what type? I don't want to break anything. Thx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 2:19 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

pin removal

I use a small allen wrench its easy to control. Just push the pins towards the bigger side of the inserted piece.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Addict

The first time I did mine I searched through my box of small 3/8 sockets to find one that just squeezes the plastic pegs to push them part way through. Then I use the end of a 3/8 extension bar to pop them out.

Make sure when you put the plastic pegs back, you fit them from the inside to out so you can get to the squeezey bit a lot easier. Don't know if this is BMW correct, but it makes the job easier next time.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 7:33 pm
Noob

Windshield

From my experience there are at least two types of the "pegs" that hold the windshield to the supporting bracket. I think the "older" type has the end of the peg essentially split by four slots which allow the end of the peg to be compressed (by pressing on this end with a small socket for example) until the peg will slip out of its hole. Be careful not to drop the bushing. The "newer" type "peg" has a center pin (lack a better term) of the same black plastic material. This peg is removed by pressing the pin toward the larger end of the peg with a tool such as a small phillips screwdriver. Again don't drop the bushing. Hope this helps, my technical writing is not at its best.
Gerry
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 9:11 pm

Pin removal

My '03 RS has the 4 slots. I use a small flat screwdriver. I lay the flat side of the screwdriver down on two of the prongs and push them in towards the center. I use the comfort shield in winter and the sport shield in summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pin.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1376  

Mark

'03 K1200RS
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:55 pm
JMc

Smile

6mm socket works like a charm

JMc
1998 K1200RS "Taxi"
[email protected]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:33 am

I use a pair of needlenose pliers to squeeze the pins, works for me.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:37 am

I use a small allen wrench (short end) and a pair of water pump pliers, wrap masking tape around jaws , then hold the allen wrench with one hand and simply press the pin out but not all the way then needle nose out. I have had my screen on and off many times and this seems to be the best way.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:47 pm
Noob

One more windscreen replacement question

I know this is a months-old thread, but I have a related question about windscreen replacement. I've never replaced the screen before -- Is there any problem reusing the pin and bushings from the windscreen? I'm buying a comfort screen, and I'd like to know what to expect from swapping it back and forth with the OEM screen from time to time.

Thanks,
-Lane
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:28 pm

No problem reusing the pins and bushings. Use care that you don't lose one when changing out the screen. Won't hurt to buy a few spares, they tend to fall into the most remote recesses of the bike or the garage.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode