Re:Avon Tires - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 8:32 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re:Avon Tires

Well for the first time in my adult motorcycle riding life I've gone to another brand of tire rather than Metzlers's for my K12. I put on Avon tires, the back one is a 190/50 (like I had with the Metzler's) and the front is still the stock size, these tires are so smooth I can hardly believe it! I was coming home (Going from Port St. Lucy to Stuart on I95) and it was around 7:30 in the evening, every one was driving at an amazing clip (around 90 to 100 mph at any given time) and I was pretty happy to run with the crowed, but after a while some of the "cage" drivers started to act a little twitchy up in front of me so I shot out a head of the "CF" and ducked my head down and just let if fly for a few sec. I glanced down and saw that I was well passed 140 mph and the thing that surprised me was that it didn't even feel like it was doing anything more than it was and 90 and 100 mph, so needless to say my first time out on these tires was VERY impressive, my only concern with them is that the nature of their responsive handling also seems to make them less stable in a straight line. Has anybody else had this experience? If so does this go away after the tires get "scrubbed in" or is this just the nature of this brand of tire? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 8:41 pm
Addict

I've had 2 sets of Avons on my GT - love 'em. They'rea ton quieter than the Michelin Pilots that came on the bike and they lasted longer as well....

I would think any straight line instability you've experienced is mainly due to the high rate of speed you were travelling

Most of my miles are highway (read: straight) and I've never noticed any instability at low or high speed straights....

Scrub 'em in and see what you get!

alow

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 9:06 pm
Addict

I also have gone through two sets of Avons and will buy another set soon. I too do mainly highway miles but also get my share of twistys. I always feel planted and never fear or feel the rear sliding out.
Main reason I went to them was for the extended wear.

Pete

02 Kawasaki KLR 650
00 BMW K12 RS - RED!... (do I have to say it?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:46 pm
Addict

Say guys what model is the Avon?
I used a set 3 years ago model AZORO 35 frt 36 rear and I didn't get 2,000 miles out of them.
oh they rode good.

What is the model you use and how many miles do you get?

Bazra
aka:The Flash
2004 K1200RS
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 5:00 am
Looking for better limits...

45's on the front, 46 on the rear. Those are the "touring" versions. Sticky ones are the 49(front)/50(rear)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 9:50 am

Avon ST45 / AT 46 (180) on my '03 RS. On the bike when I bought it used at 6050 miles although they couldn't have had more than 100 to 200 miles on them.

Now I am fast approaching 13,000 miles on the bike almost 7,000 on the tires. Seem to have another 1 or 2000 left in them. But I thought that 2500 miles ago.

Excellent grip when stone cold, fast warm up, even tread wear, work very well with the EVO brake system, and I could go on and on. Smooth, quiet, durable, sticky. Oops I just did.

I run 40 in the front and 42 in the rear.

I will get another set if these would just wear out.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Another vote for Avons

I switched to Avon's a couple of years ago on my Bandit 1200 and have never looked back. The Metzler's that came standard on the GT didn't last all that long and I was eager to put Avon's on the beast.

I also run them with Ride-On TPS (http://www.ride-on.com/products.htm) in them. So far, I am impressed with the wear life I'm getting. Ride-On claims a 25% increase in tire life due to their product reducing the tire temperature. That might just be a lot of hype but it sure seems to be working.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:41 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re:Avon Tires

Thanks for all the reply's it sounds like I made a good choice! I'll say something more about them as I get to know them better.:-)
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 1:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007007
Well for the first time in my adult motorcycle riding life I've gone to another brand of tire rather than Metzlers's for my K12. I put on Avon tires, the back one is a 190/50 (like I had with the Metzler's) and the front is still the stock size,
You running a 190 on the back? Do tell... Spacer? Stock rim?
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:21 am

Thumbs up Free Avons at THC Roundup

Come one , come all, we will be giving sets of Avons away at Texas Hill Country Roundup
April 12 - 16 in Kerrville, Texas.
All you need to do is come to the banquet friday night and enjoy the food, friends, bikes and Texas Bullsh#t.
Take a look at www.tbmwsr.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode