Out of gas tale - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:35 am Thread Starter

Out of gas tale

This past Friday the 13th I ran out of gas on my recently purchased 2003 K12RS. It is 6:30AM (38 degrees and patchy fog) and I am on a well-traveled side route in upper Montgomery, MD when the bike starts to sputtered and then stall. What the F***? I pull to the side into someone's driveway. I have yet to purchase a set of cases so I am not traveling with my usual emergency kit which contains a flashlight. Everything tells me it is out of gas, but I have no light to look into the tank. This puzzles me with only 143 miles on the trip odometer. I call my wife and she heads out with some gas. After about 30 minutes a wonderful person by the name of Mario stops to check on me and offer some gas. We put about 1 gallon in and the bike fires right up. I attempt to call my wife but she has not turned on her cellphone. I ask myself, why did we get another cellphone if she is not going to turn it on? I leave that one alone and move on to looking for a place to relieve my bladder. No luck, considering I am dressed in multple layers it wouldn't be an easy task anyway. I wait another 30 minutes for my wife to arrive. I add her gas, tell her how much I love her, explain that phones are only useful if they are turned on, start the bike and head off to the gas station a few miles down the road. NO RESTROOM.

143 miles? This is the most mileage I have ridden on this bike before refueling. The low fuel light comes on around 90 miles. The gas gauge was sitting on empty but who believes that? I have noticed that the gauge was not showing as completely filled when I have been filling up lately? Is there a trick to getting this tank topped off properly. I will monitor my mileage to see if perhaps my MPG is the problem. I thought I should be getting 190-200 miles out of a tank.

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 9:01 am

Smile have you checked you mpg?

I have read that a lot of people on this forum track their mpg religiously. I check mine often and at worst absolutly hooning around I got 34mpg. With a 5.5 gallon tank this would equate to 187 miles. I have an 03 GT and my light comes on from around 140 miles to 160 and have went as far as 180 without it turning on (riding with father in law on a harley). I normally only put about 4.4 gallons in at this point. I would check your mpg a few times and see exactly what you are getting out of it and go from there.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 9:04 am
Statmaster

You might check again. You should be able to get at least 180 out of a tankful.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 9:19 am

You might have a collapsed gas tank. Are you getting a vaccum sound when you open the gas cap? You could also have a dented fuel filler tube causing the float to stick giving you a false read on the fuel gauge.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 9:48 am
Addict

Most of us and me included, seem to get up to 150 miles then the low fuel light comes on. Then I once did 180, checked afterwards and knew I only had 2 litres left (phew...close). So an estimate of 190 miles would have been right but not useful if the last 30 miles is putting up stress levels.

It's funny how one thing goes wrong which on it's own is not a stressful event, but then this is followed by a sequence of disasters sometimes more $$s each time. I always ride with a phone, but if there's no one at the other end, you've got no useful numbers stored, or the battery is flat - it's useless.

I learned a while back that any cell you ride with or keep in the cage for emergency should have a 12 volt adapter lead with it. Those disaster scenarios can mean long emergency calls and call backs. Cells make useful torches as well, but I wouldn't want to stick one down my gas tank!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 9:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Most of us and me included, seem to get up to 150 miles then the low fuel light comes on. Then I once did 180, checked afterwards and knew I only had 2 litres left (phew...close). So an estimate of 190 miles would have been right but not useful if the last 30 miles is putting up stress levels.

It's funny how one thing goes wrong which on it's own is not a stressful event, but then this is followed by a sequence of disasters sometimes more $$s each time. I always ride with a phone, but if there's no one at the other end, you've got no useful numbers stored, or the battery is flat - it's useless.

I learned a while back that any cell you ride with or keep in the cage for emergency should have a 12 volt adapter lead with it. Those disaster scenarios can mean long emergency calls and call backs. Cells make useful torches as well, but I wouldn't want to stick one down my gas tank!
Having had to push the bike this summer 400 yards to a gas station across a busy intersection, I now NEVER wait till the next station. My low fuel light comes at around 150, my mileage is typically around 38mpg, so it's all too close for me now.

Funny about that cell phone being on thing. .......
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:39 am

I have an 02. I average about 165 miles a tank. Depending upon how much you rev the bike, you can probably get 180+. If you ride really hard, I wouldn't be shocked that people get 150 on a tank. This last year, I did have a problem with my gas gauge and had the sensor replaced. (worked till I had 1/4 of a tank, then stuck)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:33 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey55
I have read that a lot of people on this forum track their mpg religiously.
Raises hand
I've had the low-fuel light come on at 138 miles, and at 172.
There is no mention how much gas was put in the tank, so the next question is what MPG. If it's below 35, something is amiss with the engine tune or fuel delivery. The worst mileage I ever got was when the quick disconnects on the fuel lines started leaking (duh!). If the mileage is good (+38), then your tank would be suspect.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:02 pm

I get 40 to 43 mpg, my light comes on at 150 to 180 miles. I always try to put as much gas in the tank as possible, try to cover the bottom metal thingy in the gas tank. That is, I fill the tank until there is a level at the bottom of the metal funnel that makes the entry to the gas tank.

Ron
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 5:23 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBushman
I attempt to call my wife but she has not turned on her cellphone. I ask myself, why did we get another cellphone if she is not going to turn it on? ...................................... The low fuel light comes on around 90 miles. The gas gauge was sitting on empty but who believes that?
Amazing. :wtf

I gotta think that having a cell phone and not turning it on is like having a low fuel light
AND a gas gauge and not utilizing them either.

Funny stuff, that

tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode