KRS or 1150RT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:29 am Thread Starter

KRS or 1150RT?

Hello everyone. I would like to know if there is anyone on this board that owns, or had owned both KRS and RT.

Last April I purchased a 2003 KRS with only 250 miles on it. At first I din't like the bike too much because I wasn't used to its riding position, but after installing barsback, comfort windshield, Sargent seat, and lower pegs, I now love the bike. However, it is not a tourer and I'm skeptical to take it for a week long trip because I'm concerned that it will kill my back ( I'm 51 ). Because of this reason I decided to buy an 2004 RT, practically new also.

The ergonomics are considerably better on the RT than the KRS, but I can't get used to the vibes of the twin engine, It vibrates in comparison to the the KRS or to other bikes, and I also find the clutch/ tranny to be rather noisy when shifting. Furthermore, I have been monitoring the Oilheads section of "bmwsoprttouring" forum and I have been reading numerous posts of different mechanical issues with the RT, but apparently RT riders just love that bike.

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to ride either bike for any long trips yet, so I would like some inputs from anyone who has extensively ridden both bikes. I would like to know what the RT can offers that the KRS can't if I took either one on a 3K miles trip. Currently I don't have system bags on my KRS but I'm considering purchasing them, especially if I end up selling the RT.

TIA for any comments and suggestion.

Pier

http://community.webshots.com/user/pier1106
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:33 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pier1
Hello everyone. I would like to know if there is anyone on this board that owns, or had owned both KRS and RT.

Last April I purchased a 2003 KRS with only 250 miles on it. At first I din't like the bike too much because I wasn't used to its riding position, but after installing barsback, comfort windshield, Sargent seat, and lower pegs, I now love the bike. However, it is not a tourer and I'm skeptical to take it for a week long trip because I'm concerned that it will kill my back ( I'm 51 ). Because of this reason I decided to buy an 2004 RT, practically new also.

The ergonomics are considerably better on the RT than the KRS, but I can't get used to the vibes of the twin engine, It vibrates in comparison to the the KRS or to other bikes, and I also find the clutch/ tranny to be rather noisy when shifting. Furthermore, I have been monitoring the Oilheads section of "bmwsoprttouring" forum and I have been reading numerous posts of different mechanical issues with the RT, but apparently RT riders just love that bike.

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to ride either bike for any long trips yet, so I would like some inputs from anyone who has extensively ridden both bikes. I would like to know what the RT can offers that the KRS can't if I took either one on a 3K miles trip. Currently I don't have system bags on my KRS but I'm considering purchasing them, especially if I end up selling the RT.

Pier

Pier
First congratulations on getting a KRS at your advanced age.
I am sure that you are well aware that you will not get an unbiased opinion of the virtues if the KRS on this board, just as you will not get one for the RT over at sporttouring.
The only thing to do is get the bike that floats your boat. No amount of opinions will do that for you.
I came from a '85 K100RT to a '04 KRS and never looked back. I run it in the twisties and slab the thing to Oregon. I have put 11,500mi. on it in just under 6 mos. and love every minute of riding the bike. I have the hardbags, barbacks, a GT windscreen for the winter and cruise control. For me at 63yrs. old the KRS is the only way to go.
Bruce C
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:41 pm
Looking for better limits...

As someone who is also starting again at an "advanced age", I can only suggest that you do some short and middle range trips to help condition your body to longer rides. Start out with a full tank, and when it's time to refuel, get gas and head back. If you get sore or cramped, stop and stretch for 15 minutes or so. For me, the first day is the hardest. Seems like I'm comfortable for more miles on subequent days and end up just stopping for fuel.
Also, on long trips, bring some Ibuprophen along, too. I generally take two in the morning, and two at night initially, then find that two at night are fine. Not needing any would be great, too...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:45 pm

I have owned both the R1150RT-P and KRS. The RT is a more straight up sitting bike but don't let it fool you it's a "sport tourer" too with some great abilities in the curves. The RT is a little noisier than the RS. I loved the bike but I only could keep 1 and because my wife wanted to ride with me I had to sell the RT-P because of it's limited seating capacity.

I do my own stunts
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Quote:

Pier
IMHO, either will give you a give you a great ride. I am 57 and regularly do back to back 600+ mile days on my GT. Before it was crushed by a cage, I had an RS and I rode similar mileage. It's all about what you like to ride and your pace.

K-bikes are better at higher speeds due to their weight. The RT will be more flickable at speeds under 45mph, but I like the K for any speeds above that. The lean forward takes some getting used to. I prefer it as it puts your weight on your thighs as well as your butt.
Sitting straight up is initially more comfortable, but gets tiring on the tail bone.

The RT is definitely a dryer ride in the rain, but adding the GT wings to your RS solves most of the issue of water running up your arms.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 6:02 pm

First off, 51 your still a young dude!
If your in good physical condition either bike for a 3000 mile trip will work great, it's just personal preference. You currently own both bikes right now? It's a great opportunity for you to figure out which ones for you. When you have the opportunity ride each one for 300 miles a day on the same route (two different days off course). You may need to do it more than once. After that you should know that you love one more than the other. Make up your own mind and live with it.
Good Luck - Flag GS
P.S. the oil head can do the 3K just fine!

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Pier1,
I just looked at the pics of your bikes. They are beautiful, especially the silver RT! How about the old silver brick, do you still have that one too?

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 7:03 pm

Quote:

Pier

I owned both at the same time for 1.5 years. My RT was an 1100 instead of the 1150. Both have their strong points, and weak points. The RT felt (and was lighter) and handled better in tight twisties. The RS is great when you want to go fast and smooth. The cruise control is great for droning. I added barbacks to my RS as well. When I would ride it after riding the RT it would feel strange at first. After 20-30 min. I would settle into it and would be quite comfortable. BTW, I also added a Rick Mayer seat to the RS.

In the end you are the deciding vote as to which bike best suits you and your riding style. Both are good bikes.

Blchandl2
'00 R1100RT
'04 K12RS
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 7:23 pm

RT vs K RS

Pier 1,

I've seen your question on this before, must have been at the RT site. What are you doing with your Valk?
I have an '04 RT and an '04 K RS. Let me begin by saying that the RT is for sale, it has 12,500 miles. The K RS now has 6,700 miles.

I think both bikes are sport tourers. Both bikes are great for 3k miles trips. Both bikes are great for 400 mi days. I have done many 375 mi days on both bikes. There are subtle differences that only you can decide which are important to you. Like someone else said "keep whichever one floats your boat".

I have made and will continue to make changes to my K RS to make it better for extended days and extended trips. I have the side bags, hand wind guards, Sargent seat, and bar backs. I have a comfort shield on order. I am considering ordering the leg wind guards. With those changes I have made my RS into a GT (I don't like the GT colors, I love my blue/white zebra).

I loved my RT but I feel it's time to let it go. The more I ride the RS the more I get used to the riding position. Going back and forth was confusing ergonimics, my body is getting used to the RS and I find the RT posture less natural.

I test rode the K RS and the RT two and a half years ago when I purchased the RT. I thought the RS riding position was too radical and the RT position felt natural. I began to itch for an RS, I saw many posts in places like this board about people's experience with "getting used to the RS riding position". I am now one of those.

BTW, I am 56.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barbackvsm.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1382   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1234sm.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1383  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagGS
Pier1,
I just looked at the pics of your bikes. They are beautiful, especially the silver RT! How about the old silver brick, do you still have that one too?
Yes, I still have the old brick too. I commute to work with it every day for the past five years and I love it. I also suspect it is the most reliable of all.

By the way, the Silver RT is the one I'm having some concern about it. I just don't like the vibration of the twin engine.

Pier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode