Yet Another HID Install..... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:32 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Yet Another HID Install.....

Hi All,

Just got done installing HID on the GT.

Rich_MC came over and broke some stuff (as usual) but I got it all installed with relative ease

Anyway, one of the installation tips I wanted to share (that I didn't see anywhere else) was the mounting of the ballast. I have a GT so the generally accepted mounting area is pretty much where the motor for the windscreen resides.

After talking with Jeff (the, now, old Service Manager at Tristate), he told me they usually mount them on top of the wind deflector on inside of the left fairing. It's pretty easy and as long as it's fully on top of the deflector the fron fork won't get in the way.

Of course I don't have a picture of it cuz I didn't take one - haha - I will if anyone wants to see I suppose.

See ya!
alow

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:28 am

OK, what kit did you install? Both low and high beams?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:33 am Thread Starter
Addict

Bob,

I got the "kit" from BMW Tristate when they closed down. They had a few left over that they would install on customers bikes for them. They used car kits and split them in two.

This was only the H7 (low beam) conversion. I've got some reservations about the high beam (plus I would need to find another place to mount THAT ballast as well).

The ballast was made by Hella so at least it's a pretty decent brand. I was a bit worried about the ballast being attached to the wind deflector (since it is a bit exposed from above), but the Service Manager at Tristate told me that's where they normally put them and have not had a problem on any they've installed....

The connections to the ballast are waterproof (as well as the connections to the bulb). It had a waterproof grommet attached to the 4 wires that enter the front lamp housing. All I had to do was cut a hole in the lid of the housing and then seat the grommet into it. Noneed for epoxy, etc.

Also, I wanted to thank everyone on here for their assistance (as well as Pirate and his site).

I've attached a zip file with a pic of the ballast and a pic of the lamps on.

alow
Attached Files
File Type: zip hid.zip (615.4 KB, 190 views)

IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:19 am

I attached the pictures. They were huge. Resized them for posting 795 x 5xx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k1200ballast.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1399   Click image for larger version

Name:	k1200hid.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1400  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 3:13 pm
Addict

HIgh Beam Install

You can install the second ballast on the inside of the air box, move it forward so the fork deesn't hit it, and make sure it's when the bike is on the ground, not on the stand.

But I would not wish the high beam install on anyone....it was a 15 hr. nightmare.

Ken Bowen-Retired MSF RiderCoach

Kerrville, TX

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride Home...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 4:18 pm

What sort of a difference do you see riding at night with these, compared to the stock H7?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 5:19 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I took it out for a spin last night down one of the dark roads around my house. HEre are some of the things I've noticed:
-Reflective street signs light up in advance and are very bright.
-Light is bright across a further spread; I can see clearly on the sides of the road.
-Dips in the road are fairly dark until the light hits it - kind of odd at first

Overall, I'm glad I did it. It it an expensive upgrade at around $200, but I think the change in lighting is along the same jump I experienced when I installed the caliper mounted MotoLights.

My wife was in front of me this morning in a car and she commented that it was bright (in the daylight). She also commented that my MotoLights now look very yellow and almost dim.

While I haveta agree with her, I still think that the MotoLights are necessary (for safety and for "more light"). I think I'll ride with them both on for the conspicuous-ness factor

alow

IBA #22048

- Hunter S. Thompson
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:19 am

Hi,

Have you upgraded your Motolight bulbs to the higher wattage units?
That should give more conspicuous light.

JR356
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 3:37 am
Addict

Hi Alowishus, with your new experience of the low beam conversion, does the lamp start instantly when you turn it on and does it take time to get to full brightness and about how long? Have you lowered the beam a bit or had anybody flash you yet?

Anybody considering a high beam conversion might be interested in start up delay etc, although I know there are differences in this respect between cheaper and more expensive kits. What color temperature did you go for?

Good point on the Motolights, although sticking with halogen will need lots more power and the color will never match your hids. The kits are dropping in price and I think I'd look see if the lamp used on a Motolite is convertible. Since these are running all the time and precise alignment of the capsule arc is less important, I'd be tempted towards a cheap kit. Mind you, finding mounting space and getting the wiring down the fork legs would present a problem.

I did wonder about the units with separate ignitors (was this yours?). The trend on newer units is to build them in for easier install, but in theory I think the physically larger ballast can be fitted somewhere further away, as long as the smaller HV ignitor is close to the lamp.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Jan 17th, 2006 at 3:49 am. Reason: addition
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 6:58 am
Addict

HID & Motolights

I am sorta confused as to who is to reply here. I did go for the higher watt bulbs, 50's. I just installed the lights and never rode in the dark with the 35's. But there is a definite triangle of light now coming at you. The Motolight lights are truly a fine piece of craftsmanship, and I can see why they are so expensive. I went for the caliper mount and also purchased the twist off rings so I don't have to fool with the removal tool. Motolights does not warranty the higher watt bulbs, but they are readily available at Home Depot. I also found amber colored replacements on the internet.

I do have HID's, hi and lo. It does take about 2 seconds for the bulb to fully illuminate, hi or lo. (Also in my G35.) I don't plan on flashing my lights anyhow. With modulating headlights in motorcycles now, no one pays much attention to a flash anyhow.

The problem with the hi/lo HID install is lack of real estate in the nose of the K12, and having to modify the bulb holder for the H3 bulb. Went to Home Depot and bought a 1/2 pvc plug and with the Dremmel tool, made a bulb holder adapter.

But now I can truly LIGHT up the night!!

Ken Bowen-Retired MSF RiderCoach

Kerrville, TX

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride Home...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode