GT Bar on KRS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 9:25 am Thread Starter

GT Bar on KRS

I want a more upright riding position but I want to keep the "orginal" look so don't really like to install an aftermarket bar back on my 04 KRS. Has anyone changed the stock "comfort" bar with the GT bar? Would that give you a more comfortable riding position? Would I need to replace the cables?

Chung
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:32 am

RT Bars on a GT

My 2004 K1200GT has RT bars installed for a more upright riding position. If you search for posts by GT5_33 with the subject Pictures you can view this application. May not work well on the RS. Tom
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:43 am
Veteran

Chung.. FYI... If you move your RS Comfort bar to the full out position.. this is just about where the GT bar falls.. Virtually no difference... maybe 1/8" tops... Cables would remain the same.

Have you tried lowering your seat? I'd try that first before going to barbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkchunglee
I want a more upright riding position but I want to keep the "orginal" look so don't really like to install an aftermarket bar back on my 04 KRS. Has anyone changed the stock "comfort" bar with the GT bar? Would that give you a more comfortable riding position? Would I need to replace the cables?

Chung

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 1:42 pm
Enthusiast

Rs / Gt

Chung

Ditto to what Pirate said..
IMO changing your bar to GT would be a waste of time.

Go ahead and try barbacks on your RS bars. If the increased comfort doesn't overcome the slight aesthetic cost you can just take 'em off and sell 'em here. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to install.
Pirate's Lair probably has some in stock.

All people are different but the addition of barbacks on my GT made a huge improvement to my comfort on the machine.

The only downside for me is that the barbacks raise me up in relation to the screen which makes wind noise more of an issue. Which is to say that b-4 barbacks an Aeroflow standard height touring screen was enough, after barbacks I had to use the Tall Aeroflow.

DMilan
'04GT
'05RS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 8:12 am

In Europe we have Wunderlich, a German firm that specializes in aftermarket parts for BMW motorsycles. They have bar raisers in their catalog that will move your bars an inch up and 2 inches towards you. It consists of two remarkable simple thingies - but when mounted it seems to belong there. Adress: www.wunderlich.de and they do have a section in English.

kind regards,
Frits van Straten.

regards, Frits.

If you can laugh at your own stupidities, you have fun all year round!
BMW K1 '91 for sports, BMW K1200RS '03 for touring, Honda CB750K '80 for winter.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:38 am Thread Starter

Guys, thanks for sharing. I think I will try the bar riser. I think I am going for Pirate's 80mm. I had a go on the th R1150RT and the new R1200RT over the weekend. They are really comfortable. If the make the KRS or KGT with riding position like the RT that it would be the ultimate tourer. But then .... that might affect the sales of the RT. :-)

Might be a good time to upgrade the brake lines to steel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode