2003 K1200GT Weird Start up Noise - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

2003 K1200GT Weird Start up Noise

I've now had a odd and disturbing noise during startup two times. Both times the bike had not been started for a couple of weeks. Both times the bike was on the center stand and in neutral. Depress starter, bike starts to turn over, then I hear what sound to me like a metallic 'thwack' and the engine turn over just knocks off and dies. Sounds to my untrained ear like something came lose of hit something. If I were sitting on the bike, sounds like it comes from the right hand side of the bike in the engine area. Anyhow, afterwards, have to feather the throttle to get bike to turnover and start. Subsequent startups seem normal. Anyone expereince something like this before? My dealer says it's not a 'dangerous' sounding noise, but I am concerned. Bike is under warranty tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 1:18 pm
Addict

I to have an '03GT.... Can't begin to tell what it could be, I'll leave that to others more mechanically inclined. But for the dealer to say it doesn't sound like a "dangerous" sound is distressing. Probably not another dealer around the area, right?
If it does it again though, I know I'd be right in there to the dealer asking "What the hell?".
Good luck, hope it works out well for you.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 3:57 pm
Addict

I'm not about to even guess what it may be - I'm trying to "picture" something like that happening on startup and I've never heard it.

Is there a way you could record the startup? Might help a bit - since there doesn't seem to be too many responses so far...

alow

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 4:38 pm

I've heard that sound from my bike but it has only been on a VERY cold mornings with possibly a week battery when I've had difficulty starting the bike. It doesn't sound like a graceful stop of the motor and I try to avoid it, but I never thought of it as catastrophic.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 7:26 pm

If I understand you correctly, the motor spins over and then suddenly comes to a stop?

If it has been sitting for long periods of time, possibly the fuel injectors are leaking into the cylinders, and the starter can't spin over the solid fuel. I've had diesel engines do this. Maybe check to see if your oil level has mysteriously increased. Just a thought.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'78 75th Aniv Sportster (1st owner, sold '89)
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 7:50 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_in_NY
.....and the engine turn over just knocks off and dies.
Can you be a bit more descriptive than this? It's hard to understand what you mean here.

One thought, though, is that you may be having problems with the starter sprag clutch.

Bob.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 8:58 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_in_NY
I've now had a odd and disturbing noise during startup two times. Both times the bike had not been started for a couple of weeks. Both times the bike was on the center stand and in neutral. Depress starter, bike starts to turn over, then I hear what sound to me like a metallic 'thwack' and the engine turn over just knocks off and dies. Sounds to my untrained ear like something came lose of hit something. If I were sitting on the bike, sounds like it comes from the right hand side of the bike in the engine area. Anyhow, afterwards, have to feather the throttle to get bike to turnover and start. Subsequent startups seem normal. Anyone expereince something like this before? My dealer says it's not a 'dangerous' sounding noise, but I am concerned. Bike is under warranty tho.

Make sure that the gear indicator says "0" and the neutral light is on. I could not get the bike started once because it was not in neutral, even though it said "0". HTH.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2006, 8:10 am Thread Starter

more descriptive info

thanbks for the repsonses on this. the bike has definately been in neutral each time this has occured, on the centerstand, and actaully the charger has still been in the bike. i don't suspect a weak battery .. but who knows.

trying to describe this again in the hopes of elaborating more. weird description, but if i had to, imagine a ball on the end of a string, and your spinning it around, then unexpectedly your buddy put a piece of plywood in the ball's path. next time it came around, you'd hear it whack into the plywood and no more 'whoosh' from it spinning ... all quiet. This is what I hear, but it's metallic in nature.

i am thinking of recording my next start-up's, but this darn thing is sporadic!! I do have an appt. with the dealer. they are going to pick up the bike next week, and hopefully they'll find out what's going on here.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:14 am Thread Starter

what about this idea??

I had this thought from my brother .. any thoughts on this?

"I think the starting system on these bmw's is same as a car. Sometimes on a car, the starter motor does not engage or disengage properly. I think the starter spins the flywheel. If the starter popped off the flywheel teeth at the wrong time it might make a big noise. Also sometime on a car (I had it happen before) the starter when it gets hot will the solenoid will not move it and you have to wait for the car to cool off and the starter works again. For some reason I am leaning towards this area as the potential problem. "
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:45 am

My '02 RS did this exact same thing the last time I started it. The battery is constantly connected to a trickle charger to keep the charge up and I'd disconnected it prior to starting. The outside temperature was about 25 degrees F. I hit the starter and the engine turned over a few times and then made the noise you described as the engine quit turning over.

I thought it was a strange noise but I tried again, this time opening the throttle slightly and the bike lit right up and ran just fine.

I don't think it's anything to worry about as I've had other mechanical appliances make strange noises from time to time. You should hear the strange noises emitted by my big block Chevy engine with high speed starter motor attached.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode