Performance upgrades.... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

Question Performance upgrades....

I would like to increase my "boost" in my 04' K12GT to Warp Factor 9.8 . I have read many posts on how to increase my horsepower with say, a Staintune exhaust, Rhinewest chip, and etc... . Can some people that have these modifications tell me how much increase I can expect, and who (in your opinion) makes the best exhaust (U. Remus, Staintune, Two Brothers, etc..) and the better chip??. Also, when these are installed, do I have to "re-allign" anything on the motor??. For example, when I put a custom exhaust on my pick-up, I was not aware until after two weeks that it was on there, that I should re-set the computer by disconnecting the battery, and allowing it to stay dis-connected for an hour to re-set the computer. Of course, I use a power programmer now that calibrates every detail right down to rpm's, octane used, custom exhaust, and even tire size to calibrate speedo to correct mph reading. I wish to bring the level(s) up, as I would buy a new GT with the "S" motor, but think the bike is ugly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 6:10 am
Enthusiast

Depends where in the rpm range you want the power increase. I was looking for mid-range and am very happy with the Rhinewest cam sprocket/chip modification. I posted here . Generally with a pipe and chip you make gains in the higher rpm range but in same cases lose in the low to mid rpm power. I also did not want the noise of a performance exhaust.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 3:02 pm
Enthusiast

I can attest to better performance using TwoBros exhaust over Remus. I was riding my 02 KRS with a Remus titanium exhaust with a buddy that rides an 04. He installed a TwoBros system with Jet Hot coating and pulled by me like I was sitting still. The TwoBros with Jet Hot definitely had more mid range power than the Remus. I traded my Remus for a TwoBros, had it Jet Hot coated, and now we're dead even. I like the TwoBros sound better too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 5:21 pm
Enthusiast

Re:Performance Upgreades...

I have a Remus exhaust and a RW chip, but I got it almost from day one so I have no idea what improvement it made, all that can say is that it runs FANTASTIC and to knowledge nothing was "reset" it was "plug and play" I'm a bit curios about the two brothers exhaust. Will that work with my WR chip or do they have there own chip to put with it?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 5:51 pm

I have an 04 GT. From day one I have had a 2Bros exhaust. I don't even know what the stock exhaust is like. I love the 2Bros, but it was a little difficult to get it to clear the shifter (OK now though) and I purchased a band clamp from Jeggs to secure the exhaust tighter. The exhaust wobbles a bit on the header because it is only held on my springs. The $5.00 band clamp tightened it right up. The issue of clearing the exhaust MAY have been a rarity. Pirate told me that some of very the early pipes had issues but that was years ago and had been cleared up by 2 Bros. I didn't get my pipe from Pirate, my dealer purchased it for me. It very well could have been old stock from somewhere.

With the 2 Bros pipe I had a rough idle. All else OK. It was Just the idle. Dealer told me the lack of backpressure in the pipe caused the bike to run rich at idle and that caused the roughness. It was like that for 13-14 thousand miles. Lots of black soot on the rear of the bike too. I liked what Ztech says about their chip " corrects air/fuel ratio caused by lack of backpressure from pipe". Because of this I gave the chip a try. The bike runs MINT with this setup. More power, smoother and no more rough idle. I can't say it's earth shattering horse power, but it's strong, smooth and right there when you need it.

Same thing for installation of the chip. Disconnect the battery to clear previous ECU variables. ALso reset the throttle position sensor when you first power on the bike. WIth the bike on but not started roll the throttle from full closed to full open a few times. This will reset the sensor. The BMW manual also mentions that the bike may run rough for a few miles after the battery is disconnected as the ECU gathers new data.

By the way, I have the updated ECU and the Ztech chip worked fine for me.

Good luck!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:04 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007007
I have a Remus exhaust and a RW chip, but I got it almost from day one so I have no idea what improvement it made, all that can say is that it runs FANTASTIC and to knowledge nothing was "reset" it was "plug and play" I'm a bit curios about the two brothers exhaust. Will that work with my WR chip or do they have there own chip to put with it?
I have a RW chip with my Jet Hot coated titanium TwoBros exhaust. No problems. When idling there is a small surge, but no other problems. Runs great. 02 KRS
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:36 am
GPM

I've gotten good results from a Staintune and a Power Commander. Dyno chart attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS USB PC Dyno.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	1436  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:47 am

don't get too excitied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawK12GT
I would like to increase my "boost" in my 04' K12GT to Warp Factor 9.8 .
I don't think you'llever acheive warp 9.8, more like 7.8

Buy the S bike or an RC51, if you want that performance.

ONON-
Mark
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2011, 12:49 am

Sorry to bring this 5 year old thread back to life... I just spent about hour or more reading about PCIII on our bricks and I can't find much info.

I had a RC51 with a PC and custom tune I was able to cork out some serious power out of it. I feel like the KRS I low on power compared to it and want to custom tune it. I am not sold on a chip, each car/bike is different and I would love to see 125whp with a stock exhaust. I find myself around redline too much lately, as if the bike was boring me with it's power esp on hot days. I realize weight diff has a lot to do with the way the RS goes, and that V twin will always make superior pulling power to a inline. I would like to have best of both worlds, speed and comfort: why I sold the RC. Comfort wasn't a word you wanted to use around it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode