BMW Newbie - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2012, 1:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

BMW Newbie

Picking up a 1999 BMW K1200RS original owner with around 89,500 miles , this weekend. A friend of mine has a 1998 with 125,000 miles and still running strong. The ride home after the deal is done this weekend will be around 300 miles. I am so looking forward to this purchase and to get involved with this great looking forum. My last ride was a 2004 ST1300ABS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Addict

Welcome to the fun! As soon as you get home, please check the two quick disconnects for the fuel lines and, if they're plastic, replace them with metal quick disconnects. Plastic QD's self-destruct and, more often than not, wind up dumping gas all over the bike. Not Good.

If the QD's are metal, nevermind.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2012, 8:06 pm
Addict

Welcome YH

There are many great and sick minds here so and we're all here to help as we can. Don't hesitate asking anything, we've heard it all over the years so ask away. Right off the bat here are a few items.
YES, the bike sounds like a bucket of rocks when it is idling in neutral, it's normal. Pull in the clutch lever and it goes away.
YES- The bike handles like crap at low speeds when there is a flat spot on the center of the tires from straight line highway riding. Don't follow BMW's air pressure recommendation, it's too low. Put some air in the tires to make them last.
YES- The stock windscreen sucks, unless you like the wind in your face or your chin on the tank. Go with a BMW Comfort screen w/Laminar Lip, or another screen if you can find them now, they are slim pic-kins as of late.
CHECK your brake pads for wear when you get home, especially the rears.
CHECK your battery preferably by a dealer for battery condition UNDER LOAD. Batteries are very important for the function of many things important........like starting and brakes.
That's it for now, I'll let someone else step in. Enjoy your new scoot, had mine for 7 years this month. Yeah they need to be worked on from time to time but that's part of motorcycling. Again, don't ever hesitate asking us for anything here, we're Family

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jim S.
[/COLOR] * Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2012, 8:14 am Thread Starter
Noob

Wow

What a bike Completed the deal Sunday and road home. The trip should have been 300 miles to home, BUT I found some side roads and the trip turned into a 500 mile ride home. Thank you, for the welcome. I will check the fuel connecters this week. I am putting new brake pads on front and back this weekend. Ordered from the BMW Bone Yard vendor and 3 day shipped them to get here Friday. The bike is a original owner and all service done at the BMW dealer at the appropriate milage's. Completely stock and in almost perfect condition. It appears it fell over on it's right side or was dropped, little scratches nothing more. My buddy told me of the rattle can clutch noise before hand, good thing to because when the gentlemen started the bike, i thought the clutch was coming apart Looking forward to the adventure here.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2012, 5:16 pm
Addict

Again, welcome to the fun! A 500 mile ride home (not bad for a ride around the block ) is a great way to start.

On tire pressures... meh. 36 PSI up front and 42 PSI in the back (factory spec for one up riding) works just fine. I've got about 4K on my tires and things are just fine. OTOH, if the tires are a bit soft (losing as little as 3-4 PSI), the bike just feels "off". Keep in mind that any pressure checks (and adding air) must be done while the tires are cold. Riding will heat the tires and bump up the pressures. Trying to hit 36/42 PSI on hot tires will leave you with under-inflated tires.

New tires certainly feel a little more lively but, unless you're riding competitively, the change, as the tires wear in, is hardly something to worry about. Over-inflating will actually make things worse (more wear on the center of the tread). Short of shaving your tires (and thus being faced with changing them almost monthly), there's not much to be done about this.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2012, 6:23 pm
Enthusiast

Have to agree with RB on the Tires for my riding....by my mileage, you can see I have gone through a lot of tires in my RS, on my 22nd set. I keep them at 36, 42 unless at the track or if I have a much sportier tire like the Pilot Power. Now that I ran at about 29/30 at the track then 32/36 until they were toast. For me, if the front is over 32, it feels like a hard basketball and I have good aftermarket shocks. It is my preference and I have played around with pressures above and below recommended.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2012, 8:45 pm
Addict

welcome and enjoy!!!

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2012, 1:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K12RS
Have to agree with RB on the Tires for my riding....by my mileage, you can see I have gone through a lot of tires in my RS, on my 22nd set. I keep them at 36, 42 unless at the track or if I have a much sportier tire like the Pilot Power. Now that I ran at about 29/30 at the track then 32/36 until they were toast. For me, if the front is over 32, it feels like a hard basketball and I have good aftermarket shocks. It is my preference and I have played around with pressures above and below recommended.
So what is your preference........higher or lower?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2012, 11:26 am Thread Starter
Noob

I have generally run Road Pilots and PR 2's on my other bikes of the past. Looks like snow and rain this weekend, so the weather will give me quality time in the shop with my new addition.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Inspection and autocom install day

Not wanting to run the autocom in the tank bag. I found under the stock seat the little stash box built into the seat pan. I cut a small slot out of the end of the plastic lid that covers this little cove for the wires to come out and ran mama's hook up towards the back in the valley lip of the seat pan where the staples are that fasten the seat cover to the pan. Ran my hook up's out the front in the same valley. I used clear packing tape tape hold the wires in place until i am sure this is a good idea with some riding miles as the test. Power pig tail is mounted on the bike under the seat and that has the quick disconnect when i want to take the seat off. I checked the bike out really good today, everything looks like it should but a question if i could. What is the brand name for the red color trans oil and rear end oil that i have found in the bike? I expected it to be a regular oil color. The dealer who did the servicing is sending me all the info on the bike but it has not arrived yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode