Quick Disconnects / Need Louder pipe - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2012, 8:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quick Disconnects / Need Louder pipe

Gents,

Was just trolling around Google for some BMW stuff and came across a red alert thread in another Motorrad forum. These guys were going on about changing the QD's pronto or I may have a potential Hindenburg on my hands. I havent really seen the alarm in this forum about this , so what gives ? I have a 2003 K1002RS. Are the QD's plastic ? Should I hop on this ASAP ?

Also, I mentioned farkleitis is setting in. Love my K but when I feel nasty I fire the Buell up just for torque and NOISE sake. Any aftermarket pipe for the K that you would recommend that would amp up the DB level significantly ?

Boxkid1
----------------------
2003 Buell XB9S Lightning (Mr. Evil)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2012, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxkid1
Gents,

Was just trolling around Google for some BMW stuff and came across a red alert thread in another Motorrad forum. These guys were going on about changing the QD's pronto or I may have a potential Hindenburg on my hands. I havent really seen the alarm in this forum about this , so what gives ? I have a 2003 K1002RS. Are the QD's plastic ? Should I hop on this ASAP ?

Also, I mentioned farkleitis is setting in. Love my K but when I feel nasty I fire the Buell up just for torque and NOISE sake. Any aftermarket pipe for the K that you would recommend that would amp up the DB level significantly ?
Replacing the plastic QDs with metal ones is a good idea. Some have had leaks, but I have not heard of a fire or any drama other than stained clear coat. Sorry...cannot help with the pipe issue.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2012, 6:15 am

Got my QD's from Beemer Boneyard. Took about 20 min. to change (after tupperware removed ).
Sent you a PM on the pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2012, 10:30 pm
Addict

QD's

If you dig around for the QD threads you'll find them, trust me they are in here. Mine almost flamed up in rush hour traffic in downtown Hotlanta Georgia on our way to Barber Motorsport Park. It was about 92 degrees and man was I lucky. It's not IF they go bad but WHEN. YES they will go bad if they are plastic. You have been warned.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Pipes

I like my Staintune pipes-mellow but not obnoxious sound. Kind of expensive but real good quality.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2012, 2:56 am
Rookie

Mine gave up on the Highway, in the middle of nowhere, halfway between Venise and Milan... That's at least 600km's away from home. Wasn't a happy camper when I self diognosticated how f***ed i was!!

miraculously, i was able to McGiver a repair that got me back on the road and back home...

So yes, change those quick disconnects for the metal ones if you have the chance!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Plastic QD's are a known BMW issue, not just K's but R's as well. They will crack eventually....

Exhaust sounds are subjective....I have Remus Titanium on both my GS and K12RS......You can start a mild war over the stock sewing machine sound vs any aftermarket exhaust.....but IMHO, getting rid of the cat/stock exhaust gives the engine another opportunity to flow....gets rid of a bunch of heat....and sounds just lovely.....don't just add a slip-on pipe, get rid of that catalytic converter if not needed....again, IMHO.....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:27 am Thread Starter
Noob

Gents,

Ready to do the QD switch on the bike and wanted to clear up some info Ive read. Some say just replace the male , seems half assed to me , but if Im undressing all her tupperware Im thinking complete male and female switch.

Also, some debate about the Zinc vs. Chrome plated brass but from what Ive seen browsing it looks like the Beemer Boneyard set is the best deal / quality . What says the gallery ? Also want to confirm its a 5/16 line I have in my 03 RS ?

Boxkid1
----------------------
2003 Buell XB9S Lightning (Mr. Evil)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2012, 5:32 pm
Addict

Don't think - DO before it is too late!

8mm ID bore on the hose = 5/16. Important to get spare Viton O rings as well. Use a trace of silicone grease on the rings each time you mate the QD's. Use proper fuel line clips which I believe BB sells with the kit.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:43 pm

I've used the RPW quick connects on multiple BMWs (they even send enough screw type clamps to do the switch). A fantastic product IMO

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...ne_Disconnects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode