Newbie needs advice again - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2012, 4:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Newbie needs advice again

I'm new to the forums and have acquired a taste for a K1200 rs!
I'm not new to BMW bikes and currently own a F800 s as well as a R1200R.
I'm looking for something a little more comfortable for those longer trips and do not want to give up something a little sporty as well!
I have been looking at a range from the 2001 to 2004 K1200's and was looking for advice or opinions on what to get or to avoid!

Thanks John
Edit/Delete Message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2012, 3:12 am
Addict

I'm very fond of my '03 K1200RS. The riding position is a little more "sporty" than the K1200GT. Either one will get you down the road briskly, be it the Interstate or the twisties. If possible, try riding both. Since you have an R, you may find the RS works a little better for you. Or not. Past that, I can't say that either bike should be avoided. It's mostly a matter or which is the better fit for your personal needs.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2012, 1:43 pm
Rookie

I have an '02 RS and have nothing but praises for this machine. 12 hour days touring or going pretty fast in the twisties, you got best of both worlds!

It does not have the charm of an italian or the "edge" of a japanese.. But it's efficient; it does everything and it does it real good!

And mine is reliable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2012, 3:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

What years would you recommend and why?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2012, 7:30 am

In '02 a few things changes on the RS; different nose fairing, oval vs round mirrors (better visibility), cruise control option, and (I think) the handlebar adjustment assembly is slightly different to give a little more raised option.

The big difference is the brakes and ABS system. Up to '01, if the ABS fails, you still have basic brakes; from '02 on if you loose the ABS pump you have almost no brakes at all. Up to a few months ago, fixing either was a costly option. Thanks to Cobbler, we now have a successful rebuild of a pump which has brought a cheaper solution! I've taken everyone's advice here and find a gravel driveway or parking lot to activate the ABS system once a month to keep the pistons from ceasing up.

Think everything else is pretty much identical. I have an '02 and really like it, but everyone has their preference!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2012, 4:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowinthehouse
In '02 a few things changes on the RS; different nose fairing, oval vs round mirrors (better visibility), cruise control option, and (I think) the handlebar adjustment assembly is slightly different to give a little more raised option.

The big difference is the brakes and ABS system. Up to '01, if the ABS fails, you still have basic brakes; from '02 on if you loose the ABS pump you have almost no brakes at all. Up to a few months ago, fixing either was a costly option. Thanks to Cobbler, we now have a successful rebuild of a pump which has brought a cheaper solution! I've taken everyone's advice here and find a gravel driveway or parking lot to activate the ABS system once a month to keep the pistons from ceasing up.

Think everything else is pretty much identical. I have an '02 and really like it, but everyone has their preference!
Agreed......replaced the mirrors on my '00 K12RS.....Throttlemeister which I prefer.....and finally, those ABS brakes.......I'm firmly in the camp that will never buy the servo-linked ABS system that BMW began using in '02 on many of it's motorcycles. I am stretching my K12 and '02 GS as long as I can. I now know too many riders who have had their servo system go out and the expense and hassle of dealing with that is not worth it to me. IMHO, it's a matter of when, not if......otherwise, these are all great bikes.....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2012, 8:22 am
Addict

The above re ABS failure leading to no braking is wrong. There is a limp-home mode. It's nowhere near as good as having the full brake system, but there is braking capability. Yes, a blown brake line will end braking. But that has nothing to do with ABS or no ABS. Frankly, I see more news about ABS failure here than I do on the road. Makes ya wonder if maybe the same few failure stories aren't being repeated over and over and over...

I bought the KRS specifically for the ABS and have had no reason to regret the choice. OTOH, it's literally saved my bacon more than once. The only problem encountered so far is an out of adjustment sensor - a re-adjustment of the sensor gap and all was well. With the servo system, I adjusted my riding slightly (no need for the rear brake pedal except in slow speed, parking lot maneuvers) and... problem? Problem? I see no problem.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2012, 5:08 pm
Enthusiast

It really comes down to your preference in minor styling changes, older RSs have 1" higher pegs, there is the availability of the GT's heated seat and electronic windscreen, newer or older and more or less complicated ABS, etc. Older bikes have a 170/60 rear with the 185/60 optional. My preference is mine . But my buddy prefers his 04 GT, so much he just got it painted the new 1600GT red. Sharp. (Though, once I respray some scratches I got from dropping it in my garage....mine will be for sale . Wilburs +1/2" front and rear, Rhinewest Cam Gear and chip kit, stock and Tall Aeroflow screen, Corbin, etc.).

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode