Advice required - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2012, 1:13 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Advice required

Has anyone been told by a dealer that the abs motor on your bike is d e d. Constant flashing of abs light, cruise sometimes does not work. This new dealer who does not inspire confidence has told me that the cruise switch at the clutch needs replacing, about four thou, the abs motor need replacing, bout five thou. I can live without the cruise, hardly ever use it, but the abs is a different issue. I have read posts here and I have checked globes and fluid levels, but having met this dealer for the first time I am hesitant in accepting his diagnosis. If the abs motor is stuffed then it is goodby bike.
[email protected] likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2012, 5:31 am
Addict

The contact at your dealership is most likely the Sales or 'Customer Service' type of person. They probably know little about what is under your plastics and collect a lot of 'knowledge' from the service tech's and Google. That is often todays breed I am afraid.

What I usually do is research and try to understand what the front of shop person is suggesting, then go back with some in depth questions and 'superior' knowledge. You will probably find their technical knowledge is completely exhausted, if they had any to start with, and pass you over to their tech. or Service Manager. Certainly with those kinds of figures and a mortgage needed to pay, I would want the top dog. If you are not confident about the answers then you may still have to walk and get another opinion. If you are not confident about what they say, why would you want to let them loose on your bike and pay a shed load of money?

Now to practicalities. They put their diagnostics on your bike and it spat out fault codes from which they gave you these big estimates. I am not saying the diagnostics codes they got were wrong, but their interpretation of the data and what may be the real problem may be. Have you noticed how an older bike seems to get the kiss of death on just about anything? There is always a pre-judgement that gets in the way of getting more facts and making a more accurate diagnosis. They know that even if they got their 'worst case' scenario price wrong, you have accepted that and given them the big budget for parts and work - whatever that is. Nice position to be in when the customer is paying and kept in the dark!

Split the problem to concentrate on the ABS first. I think you should try and get a better qualified opinion. Somebody here who knows your local might recommend. If your ABS unit is faulty, then you can consider the options. Some have been getting their units rebuilt, sometimes they come up on the auction sites or are sold by the boneyards.

I have often wondered what happens if a dealer quotes lots of money to replace an ABS unit, then afterwards gets the same fault and traces the problem to the wiring or computer. Do they charge you up with the original big estimate when the unit removed was not faulty, or do they do the honest thing and tell you? I think I know the answer.

If you are lucky, pick up a used unit and it still gives the same fault (assuming it was good), you have spent less and can still re-sell the unit you bought.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Apr 19th, 2012 at 5:40 am.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2012, 8:07 am
Addict

I have no idea what your options are in Oz but... get a second opinion! The diagnosis may well be right, but if you have little faith in what you're hearing, set a second opinion.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2012, 9:43 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
This new dealer who does not inspire confidence has told me that the cruise switch at the clutch needs replacing, about four thou............
What....????? Four thou for a switch??????

The ABS....it does look like some have fixed them by either replacing the brake lines (GS) or MCs (LTs), has to do with low pressure faults in the system. Yes they were prounounced dead by the dealer. On other generations of ABSs some have fixed them by cleaning the motors/commutators, not sure if that could work with ours.

Stoopid holes in front of our motors that could let water in there.....todays project is shielding that somehow.Oh well....next winter I may go in there, preventively and clean them motors.

You guys washing your bikes frequently....don't spray too much water above the shifter at the frame toward the modulator/motors.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2012, 4:52 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
The contact at your dealership is most likely the Sales or 'Customer Service' type of person. They probably know little about what is under your plastics and collect a lot of 'knowledge' from the service tech's and Google. That is often todays breed I am afraid.

What I usually do is research and try to understand what the front of shop person is suggesting, then go back with some in depth questions and 'superior' knowledge. You will probably find their technical knowledge is completely exhausted, if they had any to start with, and pass you over to their tech. or Service Manager. Certainly with those kinds of figures and a mortgage needed to pay, I would want the top dog. If you are not confident about the answers then you may still have to walk and get another opinion. If you are not confident about what they say, why would you want to let them loose on your bike and pay a shed load of money?

Now to practicalities. They put their diagnostics on your bike and it spat out fault codes from which they gave you these big estimates. I am not saying the diagnostics codes they got were wrong, but their interpretation of the data and what may be the real problem may be. Have you noticed how an older bike seems to get the kiss of death on just about anything? There is always a pre-judgement that gets in the way of getting more facts and making a more accurate diagnosis. They know that even if they got their 'worst case' scenario price wrong, you have accepted that and given them the big budget for parts and work - whatever that is. Nice position to be in when the customer is paying and kept in the dark!

Split the problem to concentrate on the ABS first. I think you should try and get a better qualified opinion. Somebody here who knows your local might recommend. If your ABS unit is faulty, then you can consider the options. Some have been getting their units rebuilt, sometimes they come up on the auction sites or are sold by the boneyards.

I have often wondered what happens if a dealer quotes lots of money to replace an ABS unit, then afterwards gets the same fault and traces the problem to the wiring or computer. Do they charge you up with the original big estimate when the unit removed was not faulty, or do they do the honest thing and tell you? I think I know the answer.

If you are lucky, pick up a used unit and it still gives the same fault (assuming it was good), you have spent less and can still re-sell the unit you bought.
Always mark your parts that may be at fault....I wouldn't trust any of them unless I knew them personally...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2012, 4:57 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
Has anyone been told by a dealer that the abs motor on your bike is d e d. Constant flashing of abs light, cruise sometimes does not work. This new dealer who does not inspire confidence has told me that the cruise switch at the clutch needs replacing, about four thou, the abs motor need replacing, bout five thou. I can live without the cruise, hardly ever use it, but the abs is a different issue. I have read posts here and I have checked globes and fluid levels, but having met this dealer for the first time I am hesitant in accepting his diagnosis. If the abs motor is stuffed then it is goodby bike.
welcome to the suck fest...doin some dealings just today to try and recoop my GT with bad servo...so far the best deal that "MAY" happen is $1,000.00 trade...The cost is just enough to force one to keep the pig and deal with it..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2012, 2:31 am
Enthusiast

Papillio why don't you go and see the guy at Ringwood ? He may be able to help and I think he has various sources for parts. Good luck !
cheers Andrew
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2012, 4:02 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Ringwood

Probably will. But he was in such a snarly mood he is the reason I gave Doncaster a try
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2012, 4:22 pm
Enthusiast

Papilo also what about the spare parts guy out at Coburg ? He would probably have the parts ? Cheers Andrew
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2012, 6:08 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
What....????? Four thou for a switch??????

The ABS....it does look like some have fixed them by either replacing the brake lines (GS) or MCs (LTs), has to do with low pressure faults in the system. Yes they were prounounced dead by the dealer. On other generations of ABSs some have fixed them by cleaning the motors/commutators, not sure if that could work with ours.

Stoopid holes in front of our motors that could let water in there.....todays project is shielding that somehow.Oh well....next winter I may go in there, preventively and clean them motors.

You guys washing your bikes frequently....don't spray too much water above the shifter at the frame toward the modulator/motors.
I found my motors were junk. The build up of road grime had entered and grit washed the brushes and commutators to the point of being non serviceable. You can buy the new motors for $207.00 each. I am hesitant to do so because of the dis assembly bull shit it takes to change them out. all the fasteners that hold that unit together are all tamper proof meaning that dis assembly may destroy the unit in regards to o rings and seals not sealing properly once re assembled dunno?. I have to fall for "the bike isn't worth a trade" bull shit from the dealer because of this issue. I ll have to spend the bucks to install a new complete unit after which the bike would still only trade less than money put in it. Its a keeper, I guess, and knowing that in time no dealer will ever have any of these bikes on the used sales floor is kinda good in a way which will bring the price up and obtainable only from a privet seller,.after all it is a classic design.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode